• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Cleaning your mouth calls.

Started by jbordy, April 02, 2008, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbordy

I was wondering what you guys use to clean your mouth calls.  My calls are all open reed, plastic I think (many are from Randy Anderson), and are in need of cleaning.  The dirt is typical; fuzz from my clothes, cooties from my back pack, mouth yuk, :puke: anything from the ground from where they were laid, and "stuff" from the inside of my truck where they were tossed. :rolleye: :rolleye:  I think regular dish soap should do the job but was not sure if it would harm the reeds.  So do you guys have a special soap or does it just go in the tubby with the rubber duck  :shck: and the "blow up" sponge fish??? :confused:
Learn daily and pass it on.

FinsnFur

in the tubby with the rubber duck and the "blow up" sponge fish???
:eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

I just rinse them off good with warm water, I dont use detergent or soap cuz I dont want the taste in my mouth.  My turkey diaphram calls I clean with mouthwash, I bet mouthwash would work on the open reeds as well.
I get alot of chew built up in mine from calling with a chaw in.
Isnt there a certain call cleaning stuff out on the market ?  Think I'd seen it somewheres in my internet travels :wo:

FinsnFur

:confused: yeah I think I did too :eyebrownod:...it's called water :roflmao:  :roflmao:

I'm giving ya a hard time.

Hey be careful with this thread, or were gonna have Tebbe marketing a new high tech, ozone safe, no carbohydrates, professional call cleaner. :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

jbordy

Yes one that takes off road dirt, coyote blood, and by the way "chaw" from the delicate workings of those open reeds!  :highclap: As you can tell I don't chew so that muck you are cleaning out of your turkey calls doesn't build up in mine :iroll:.  Now Baby Ruth and Snickers scum would surely inhabit the inner sanctum of my diaphragms. :eyebrownod:

HaMeR

:confused:  Purple listerine maybe??  :innocentwhistle:

Seriously tho. I just use the regular listerine on all my calls.

HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

Alcohol... Drinking (not rubbing)   :eyebrownod: :innocentwhistle:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

msmith

Clean them? Who cleans them? Don't they get better as they age?  :innocentwhistle:

Listerine for my turkey diaphram calls and sometimes alcohol gel like Purell on open reeds 'cause I have it in my truck.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

weedwalker

Quote from: msmith on April 02, 2008, 09:07:26 PM
Clean them? Who cleans them? Don't they get better as they age?  :innocentwhistle:

I'm with Msmith on this one. That's not dirt. It's character.  :biggrin:

Carolina Coyote

I like coyotehunter1's recommendation, good mouthwasing with the Jack will may the call sound better. :innocentwhistle: cc

Frogman

Mine are so new I haven't even thought about cleaning them.   :innocentwhistle:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

jbordy

That is a real shame Jim. :nofgr:  Even though they are new didn't you at least scare the dog or cat learning how to call with them? :biggrin:

Frogman

I do get the neighbor's dog fired up every now and then.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Ladobe

The grime just adds "flavor" to the hunt doesn't it?   
If it tastes/smells like food, Bopeye is probably the resident expert on that.    :innocentwhistle:

Mouthwash might be an idea, although I've never heard of anyone using a minty fresh cover scent before when out hunting.     :shrug:

I suppose if you did get enough muck in the calls it might be a reasonable idea to clean them unless your local predators really like the new sounds they make with all the muck in them.    That after all is the main goal with a mouth call isn't it?    :wink:

If I really felt the need to clean one, while the tanglefoot sounds like a right tasty idea, I'd probably opt for just clean luke warm water flushed through them from the barrel end.   Should dislodge most of the muck without getting it trapped even further under reeds, or damage any finish on the call.   Custom wood calls with bores not sealed with a good finish (shame on you) might soak up some water though.

(BTW, the "mouthwash" comment was just a SA remark since I don't believe in cover scents.)

L.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

KillerCaller!

A toothpick, a pen with the cap on and the bottom left side of my shirt.
A tension tool and a goober works great. :confused:

msmith

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on April 03, 2008, 08:05:09 AM
I like coyotehunter1's recommendation, good mouthwasing with the Jack will may the call sound better. :innocentwhistle: cc

You'd have to use a lot of Jack to make mine sound any better.  :doh2:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Mallardsr

I aint using my perfectly good goober to clean my calls! :shrug:  :innocentwhistle: