• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Success at Last

Started by coyote101, April 02, 2008, 09:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I hadn't been out in a couple of weeks so I thought I'd give it a try this afternoon. I called the fellow who owns the place I wanted to go to let him know I'd be out. He told me the coyotes had been really carrying on yesterday around sunset in a little patch of woods on the northeast edge of his place. I set up in the trees along a fence row that connects that patch of woods to another one. I was overlooking a field with slight draw in it than ran to the patch of woods. I didn't want to expose myself to set out my decoy and e-caller speaker, so I decided to use mouth calls. I was standing and using a tree branch for a rifle rest.  I called for forty or fifty seconds on a closed reed distress call that I have.  I waited a couple of minutes and then gave it another blast on a different call.  A few seconds later I spotted a coyote about seventy yards away coming up out of the draw. I let him come in until he presented a decent quartering shot, and let him have it at about 48 yards.  He went down DRT. I reloaded and continued to call in case another one was close, but nothing else showed. This was only the second coyote I've seen this year and the first one I managed to shoot. 

My first called and killed coyote.

My new and lucky DirtyDog lanyard.

T/C Encore in .223.  Hornady 55 grain TAP made a devastating wound.

View from my position to where the coyote was.

Looking back to the treeline I called from.  Forty eight paces from the dog to the fence.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

wv_yoter

Congrats Pat. It looks like you got a Hawks Feather call just like the one I have. :yoyo:
Jason

Jeb

Congrats !!! Keep it going bud !  :highclap: :highclap:
               Jeb

iahntr

Very nice.  :yoyo:
Congratulations  :highclap: :congrats:
Scott

weedwalker

Way to go Pat. :yoyo: Congradulations on your 1st. :congrats:

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Nelson

coyote 101,
You did good!!   :congrats:  Congratulations!!

Nelson

CCP

Good job Pat  :highclap: :congrats: :highclap: :congrats:

The hardest one is over and done with. Should be smooth sailing from here on out.:yoyo: :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Job well done :congrats: :congrats:
The first is always the most memorable.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Congratulations...those are some cool pics too. It really makes the story even better. Way to go :yoyo:

Steve

KySongDog

:yahoo: :thumb2: :yahoo: :thumb2: :yahoo: :thumb2: :yahoo: :thumb2: :yahoo: :thumb2:
Congratulations, Pat!

You got your first one!  Them coyotes are in big trouble now!!!

Great job on the pics and story!

Semp

DirtyDog

Now that's what I'm talking about Pat!!!!!!! Like some of the other fellas say, once you get that first, it just kinda falls into place. I shot my first in December, then a bobcat and 2 more coyotes in Feb, with a few more that I could have shot if I wasn't try to help a freind get one.

..........and boy is that one nice "new and lucky" lanyard you got there.  :eyebrow:

Carolina Coyote

Way to go Pat, Thanks for the story and pictures, may you get many more.  :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats: cc

Frogman

Quite a thrill isn't it coyote101.  Are you going to change your handle to "coyote102" now?  Great pictures and story.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HaMeR

Congrats Pat!! Good writeup & some nice pictures to go with it!! Looks like you carry soma real good equipment along with you as well. I wish you many more!!  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bob D

Way to go, now you will have more confidence the next time you get after them

bootmud

Excellant!!!

and the pics are the icing on the cake for those of us that couldn't be there! :yoyo: :highclap: :yoyo:

Congrats,  bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

coyotehunter_1

Don't ya' just love it when a plan comes together? :yahoo: :biggrin:

Great post/pics  ;yes; and :congrats: on your first coyote :thumb2:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

coyote101

Thanks guys.  What a thrill to have that coyote come to the call! I'm glad that it worked out that I was using a mouth call; that made it even better.

Quote from: Frogman on April 03, 2008, 08:03:46 AM
....  Are you going to change your handle to "coyote102" now? 
Jim

I think I'll leave it as is.  I'm still like a first semester freshman when it comes to coyote hunting knowledge.  Heck, this may have just been pure dumb luck.  I may have gotten him in spite of my best efforts rather than because of them.  My dad used to say' "Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while."  I may just be a blind pig! Too soon for me to get cocky.  Now if I get another one.....watch out!

To wv_ yoter: Yep, that's the Hawks Feather call I won at the LBL hunt this year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing