• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coyotes ran us out of the woods.

Started by Bopeye, April 26, 2008, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

Not literally, but figuratively speaking the coyotes spanked us last night.

I haven't been coon hunting in almost 20 years, but sometimes we do things for the heck of it.  :iroll: :sneer:

I went coon hunting with a fella last night and we got down into a creek bottom about midnight. We had two dogs with us and had treed a couple of coons already. I had called it a night and was heading back to the truck since my back was done for the evening. It wasn't very long before the dogs struck another coon and treed him pretty quick. A few minutes later everything goes quiet in the woods and then you hear all heck break loose. Dogs and coyotes growling and barking......sounded like a battle royal. The fella I was with grabbed his single shot .22 and went running towards the dogs. All I had taken to the woods was my walking cane, but I thought what the heck. I started hobbling my fat butt towards the dogs. A few minutes later it sounded like a herd of cattle coming over the hill, except for the growling. Suddenly the two dogs were with me and I could see the coyotes just beyond my light. I don't know for sure, but I believe there was at least six coyotes. They didn't seem too alarmed at my presence, but they kept a respectful distance all the same. It's been years since I didn't have some sort of firearm on me in the woods and wouldn't you know it....last night was the first time.  :rolleye:  Didn't want to break any of our precious game laws. Can't train dogs with firearms.
Anyway, once the dogs were back with me, they seemed to get their wits about them, but they weren't taking any chances. They kept growling at the coyotes as we made our way back to the truck. A little later my buddy showed back up at the truck. He was po'd about the coyotes jumping the dogs.
I started explaining to him how they probably had a den on this creek bottom and that pups were probably already born or fixing to be, so the coyotes were displaying extra aggression, etcetera, etcetera. He listened intently as we checked our dogs over good and loaded them up.
As we were driving out, he said that me and my partner needed to camp our butts in here and "kill them all". I wish I had a dime for every time someone said that. Don't y'all?  :eyebrownod: :laf:

Anyway, he wants to come too and we are looking at well over 6000 acres. Can't wait. :wink:

All in all I had a blast. Didn't get to kill a coyote and am thankful a dog didn't get hurt. I was kind of excited at the thought of having to use my walking cane to club a coyote to death.......it felt primeval.........I COULD FEEL THE RUSH!!  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Bills Custom Calls

Bop the first thing that came to mind when I read the title was must have been a damn big coyote to run my redneck buddy out of the woods  :roflmao:

Since there was about six of them and 2 of you I will let it slide this time.
Glad all is fine

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Hawks Feather

Dang Bop,  First post I read you want to go freeze in Alaska and the second you are fighting coyotes with a stick.   :shck:   You the man.

Jerry

FinsnFur

:roflmao:  I want some footage of the Tennessee style beat down. :eyebrow:
I can see it now. Looking like some ole lady on the corner puttin the smack on some purse snatcher.....with her purse.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously though Bop, I'm actually surprise that doesnt happen more often. Dogs running through coyote living rooms while deer hunting and getting gang banged.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

LORDDAL

Quote from: Hawks Feather on April 26, 2008, 09:30:44 PM
Dang Bop,  First post I read you want to go freeze in Alaska and the second you are fighting coyotes with a stick.   :shck:   You the man.

Jerry

he sure is fighting yotes with a stick damn and here I usually just shot em no wonder I am just an amture yote killer I have been using the wrong weapon  :innocentwhistle:

great story bop
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Bopeye

It wasn't my intention to fight them with a stick............just kind of worked out that way... :innocentwhistle: :huh:

Lord knows I would love to live in Alaska. If my back ever gets back up to snuff, I might just do that...... :wo: :eyebrownod:

Ladobe

Glad you cleared this up with a story pard.  

From the subject line I was trying to visualize you even trying to run let alone actually running.   :innocentwhistle:
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

alscalls

The one time he dosent say............ BITE ME!
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

LORDDAL

ah darn I was hopin id earn my first BITE ME From Bop over that guess Ill have to try harder im feelin left out
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Bopeye

I intenionally tried to leave the words "BITE ME" out of this story, since that is exactly what the coyotes seemed to have in mind.  :eyebrownod:

alscalls

Them things will come running to just about any dog sound right now after dark. Watching out for those pups I reckon.
We had to go to a siren for locating so they would not come so quick and I got three packs that are going to have to deal with me for a while next week. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

LORDDAL

yeah Im going to try and take a few this week my self since I am already gettin paid to hunt got to love vacation my sis says she hears em all the time behind their house so while im there turkey hunting I am going to see if I can thin out the pack a little  :biggrin:

iahntr

Cool story Bop.
That'll get the ol blood a pumpin.
Sounds like a fun time !
But I'll agree it'd be nicer havin a semi auto with.  :biggrin:
Scott

Yotehntr

:highclap: Great story Bop! Sounds like a blast.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

KySongDog

Them coyotes didn't realize they were up against a Silverback with a stick.  They'd been massacred.   :yoyo:

Glad ya made it out alive, son. 

Dad 

Bopeye

Thanks Dad. I wasn't feeling too Silverbackish though. I was feeling kinda anxious if ya know what I mean.  :innocentwhistle:

Nothing more dangerous than a fat man that's spooked though...........squish ya..... :laf:

Roundman

QuoteAs we were driving out, he said that me and my partner needed to camp our butts in here and "kill them all". I wish I had a dime for every time someone said that. Don't y'all?   
I've had a few people say the same thing, my response is "You will never killem all but I'll give it a try". Around here if you kill two or three you are the man!

Bopeye

Quote from: Roundman on April 27, 2008, 08:46:33 AM
QuoteAs we were driving out, he said that me and my partner needed to camp our butts in here and "kill them all". I wish I had a dime for every time someone said that. Don't y'all?   
I've had a few people say the same thing, my response is "You will never killem all but I'll give it a try". Around here if you kill two or three you are the man!

Amen to that Mike....... :yoyo: Ya gotta emphasize it different though. Here.....lemme hep ya. YOU IS DA MAN!!!!
Hope you can use that........... :laf: Just yanking ya Mike......... :eyebrownod:

pitw

Love the story and would really like to have been there. :roflmao: Kind of nice to know that you have so many coyotes to go after later on. :wink: If you'd have got a couple with the cane I'd have to give you a hundred of these :bowingsmilie:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Frogman

Awsome story Bopeye.  I'd get back in there with a little more firepower.   :yoyo:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!