Author Topic: Stony Point Chamber-All  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Hawks Feather

• Global Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Jerry Latta Photography
Stony Point Chamber-All
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline Ladobe

• Hard Core FnF'r
  • Retired Custom Call Maker
Re: Stony Point Chamber-All
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
Jerry,

Excellent write up and pictures pard.

I too have all the complete Stoney Point sets, the OAL gauges and many dozens of modified cases (including for all of my wildcats), their bullet comparator set and cartridge headspace set that I've used for many years.   However, I use a slightly different procedure for setting up my seater dies that might be worth noting here.

I jam the bullets in all of my firearms.    How much so is critical both for extreme precision shooting and on the hotter loads to keep pressures from going over the top.   So for setting up my seater dies, I use the bullet comparator gauges rather than the OAL gauge.   My reasoning... many bullets are not uniform at the tip and they can vary in OAL greatly in any lot or box, but mostly will have a very uniform ogive to measure off of.   Probably not critical to those who do not jam, but even a couple of thou can be to those of us who do.     

Getting the "feel" using the OAL comes with time and you can get quite consistent results eventually.   But as Jerry suggested, the more dry runs you do the closer the "average" will be, especially with bullets that vary in OAL.   There is almost no learning curve with the bullet comparator, or with the headspace gauges either when you know exactly how you want to headspace.

Larry

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FinsandFur.net Forums

Re: Stony Point Chamber-All
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
DISCLAIMER

Users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any data, whether or not occasioned by publisher's negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. Finsandfur.net, (including any subsidiaries, owner(s) and staff) neither assumes nor authorizes any person to assume for it/them any liability in connection with the use of any data.

When done properly, reloading your own ammo can be an enjoyable experience. Please be careful out there.