southern boys help me out here

Started by Silencer, May 13, 2008, 04:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

msmith

Quote from: DirtyDog on May 15, 2008, 08:26:52 AM
Give me a big ole fat juicy cheeseburger with a big ole mess of steak fries and I'll settle for that.  :sneer:

AMEN BROTHER!
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Bob D

I don't eat that souse meat, tried it once long time ago. Never again

coyotehunter_1

QuoteSo what is Souse ? 

Is this correct ? 

SOUSE
Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.

Yep, that pretty much describes it... 'bout everything but the squeal. :laf:
Years ago, I often watched my grandmother make souse meat (also called head cheese around here) from freshly killed hogs heads... usually two or three at a time.That stuff sure stunk up the house but when done it was a treat.

Mass produced souse meat can be found in some stores even today but I have not found any that even starts to compare in taste or texture to good home made.

Cracklins are a bi-product of rendering the fat from a hog. Basically chunks of fatty meat and skin is boiled, removing the grease (Lard). Cracklins are what's left after the lard is removed. They can then be ground up to be used as a seasioning.     
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

bushmaster

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on May 13, 2008, 04:35:08 PM
Come on now Silencer!!( shitlands) :rolleye:  :eyebrownod:CHITLINSis the proper name, that's what they will serve at the inaugural ball when Obama goes in.  :biggrin: cc

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:  pardon me, i just pissed my pants...
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Carolina Coyote

Sorry Bushy but I'm no Obama Fan. cc

bushmaster

nothin to be sorry about, i'm with you buddy.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

frshwtr

scrapple is the left overs from butchering; the bones you trimed off as well as the feet (without the hoves), heads, tails whatever. useing both beef and pork the meat should be cooked in seperate (oh iv used deer instead of beef) containers due to the beef takeing longer to cook ( i also forgot to mention tounge, liver, and kidneys), you cook it until the meat starts to fall off the bones. take the meat and put it thru a grinder, measure broth approx. return meat to broth and add a mix of 2/3 cornmeal to 1 part flous and seasnon to taste, salt pepper, corriander whatever you want. cook this untill the meal and flour is done stirring  constantly. when you have finished cooking pour into loaf pans and let cool. we cut it in 1/4 " slabs and fry till brown on both sides, put it on your plate with a little syrup for dressing and its good, serve with eggs (brains go good with the eggs ans scrapple roo). oh i forgto to mention a little ork skin in the broth helps it should have a decent fat content.

souse meat; not shure, we take the feet and lower hock and tounge and cover with water and cook till the meat is falling off the bones, shredd or grind the meat and put the meat back in the broth (the broth has ussualy cooked down a good bit dont add water) put in a glass or ceramic loaf pan (dont use metal on this one with the scrapple metal is ok) and puty in the fridge to set up, some people add a pack of knox unflavered gelitene to this but useally the broth is all thats needed. after this has set up (cooled for at least 24 hours though 48 hours is better it can be sliced into chunks (as much as you want to eat at one time) dressed with a little vinegar and salt and pepper and your good to go. i sometimes just dress it with salt and some hot sause.

both of these items are by-produsct of buchering but well worth the effort of makeing them. makeing the scrapple is easier than it sounds but does take a bit of time.

KySongDog

Quote from: Silencer on May 15, 2008, 01:42:24 PM
So what is Souse ? 

Is this correct ? 

SOUSE
Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.

The local grocery store occasionally carries souse that's made here.  Its like eating liquid lard for your heart.  Tastes pretty good though.  I get it ever once in awhile and eat it with saltine crackers.  Yummy!

Semp

vvarmitr

It would be cool if some of ya could bring some to the LBL for the rest of us to try.  :biggrin:  Along w/ your local cough medicine & mouth wash.  :eyebrow:

Carolina Coyote

Well we will see what we can do about the Mouth wash at the LBL but you have to come to Georgia to get the Chitlins, I think I can arrange that. :biggrin: cc

vvarmitr

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on May 23, 2008, 06:49:20 PM
Well we will see what we can do about the Mouth wash at the LBL but you have to come to Georgia to get the Chitlins, I think I can arrange that. :biggrin: cc
Sounds like a plan.  :eyebrow:  :biggrin: