• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Hot Sunday morning for Possumal

Started by possumal, June 09, 2008, 06:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Thought you guys might enjoy a few pictures and comments about my Sunday morning hunt yesterday.  My new hunting "Student", Chuck Mattingly, and I went to a new farm here in Jessamine County.  Man, it was already hot as hell 30 minutes before first light, but we managed to slip in with a heavy brush and tree line behind us and then up the hill about 150 yds to our preplanned set up.  The land owner has been losing both calves and kid goats at an alarming rate, and welcomed us with open arms to try to give him some help.  I had old Chuck watching a super promising approach route, where he could watch upwind and quarter wind.  When it was barely light enough to see, I howled twice on my old trusty Primos howler and once on my Quaker Boy, with Chuck joining in from his spot 30 yds to my backside with his Black Coyote howler.  Waited about 5 minutes for it to get more light, and let old Brent Saxton howl on my FX-5 which was hidden 75 to 100 yards downhill from our perch at the edge of a sinkhole. Waited about two minutes, and switched to one of my presets, "Coyotes and goat distress", a sequence I made on Goldwave. When it reached the part where the goat is obviously getting weak and dying,  a big doe came busting down the hill from the downwid side like the devil in hell was after her. I alerted Chuck to watch extra close via our radios.  About 30 seconds later, a big male came down the same cow trail the doe had travelled, really balling the jack. When he got within 50 yds of where I had the FX-5 hidden, he switched to that typical stiff legged, high hopping gait looking hard for the caller. I muted the FX-5, which stopped him dead in his tracks at 90 yds, and I stopped him for good with a 70 grain Blitz King out of my 243 Browning Abolt.  Hit my P-4 preset, coyote death cry, let it scream for about 30 seconds and then switched back to the Coyotes and goat sound. About 30 seconds later, here comes the dead male's wifemate from down the hill about 150 yds, heading right to the caller and where hubby was lying graveyard dead.  She did a backflip reversal when she saw him lying there, but I stopped her with a "Whoop" and stopped her for good at 125 yds with my 243.  As you can see in the picture, she obviously had raised and weaned pups two months or so ago, but two "Nannies" are still around to raise the litter, as they were standing about 150 yds back from where the yotes came from, with their puppy sisters and brothers right beside them.  We made two more stands about 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile from that spot, and I called in a year old female which Chuck busted, and a year old male at the last stand, who hung up in a shady spot about 250 yds out, and I hung him up for good with one of those 70 grain Blitz Kings I like so well.  We were back home by 8:30 a.m., with the temperature already too hot for this possum to be out there. All in all, a productive Sunday morning.  The farmer is extra happy, and so was old Chuck to see those yotes respond to that scenario. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

Nice story and pics, Al!

That is one monster scope ya got there!

Semp

5 SHOTS

I sure hope I can learn to tell stories like that.  :bowingsmilie: I felt like I was the one pulling the trigger. Amazing, keep them coming.  :highclap:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Bopeye

Outstanding Al. I loved the story. Folks can say what they want, but ya just can't argue with results like that.  :highclap: :highclap: :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Yotehntr

:highclap: Great story!  :highclap: Enjoyed the read and the pics!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

coyote101

Thanks for the story and pics. And congrats on a great day. :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Nelson

Good hunting Possumal.  Enjoyed the story.

Nelson

CCP

Enjoyed the story and pic's keep them coming :highclap:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

LORDDAL

really enjoyed the story and great photos way to put it to em keep up the great work  :yoyo:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

weedwalker

Great story Al. :yoyo: You put the smack on 'em again. WTG. :yoyo:

bushmaster

thats awesome, i havent gone out due to the heat.  You just inspired me to hit the trail again.   :biggrin:
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

possumal

Quote from: Semp on June 09, 2008, 09:42:37 AM
Nice story and pics, Al!

That is one monster scope ya got there!

Semp

Hey Semp:  It does look kind of big, doesn't it?  It is actually a fairly compact scope, but has one hell of a sunshade. It is the Bushnell Elite 4200, by far the clearest, brightest scope I have ever owned.  Tremendous light pickup power in poor light conditions.  200 to 250 yds, looking into a thick, cedar and briar lined fencerow, when I couldn't even see any detail with my natural eye, I could have easily seen a coyote to shoot (Providing he was there, lol) :wo:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Carolina Coyote

Nice going Possumal, good story and pictures, love them 243's, I shoot a 243 wssm A-bolt. That's for the story! cc

vvarmitr

Ahhhhh! What a releif ........  fresh dead coyote pix.  :whew:  :biggrin:
Thanks Al that was like finding an oasis in a desert.

:laf:  :laf:  :laf:

Frogman

possumal,
     Great story and pictures.  Thanks.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jeb

Good job Al !!  thanks for sharing the story.  :congrats: :congrats:
                    Jeb