• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Any GPS users here ?

Started by Jeb, November 10, 2006, 09:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb

If so how has it helped you and what brand do you have ? I have a lowrance ihunt , kinda bulky. Recently picked up a Megallen Explorist 210 Outdoor . I really like the 210 , basic operation with moon/hunt times . Very user friendly. Came with a topo program that I installed on the gps. If you have one and use it tell me how it helps you .
                                          Jeb

Radd4

I have the Ihunt as well. I ose it alot and I love it.

Rus
Radd4
Retired USAF
Desert Storm Veteran
Remember to thank those who are serving our country and the families of those who have died to keep you safe...Our Troops, Police and Firemen deserve our thanks"

Jeb

Radd my ihunt is nice had it a couple of years but never use it , kinda bulky and I have to read the book when I get it out....lol.  I love the huge screen on it and have the car mounts and cig plug ect. Great for travel. I picked up the explorist because of its size and some of its features and I want to start using the thing to my benefit coyote hunting. Any ideas ?
                            Jeb

Brad H

I use the Magellan Sport Map. It's really accruate in the open country we have here.

Brad

THO Game Calls

I've been using GPS systems since before they were available to the general population  :)  would not leave home without one.  

My all time favorite GPS unit was the Garmin GPS 12.  The don't make them anymore but they were the same unit that they put in military pilots survival kits.  Very easy to use and about 12 hours of battery life under constant use.  Rugged, simple to use and just about bullet proof.  I cried when mine finally bit the dust.

Curently I use a Garmin e trex Vista.  They run a bit over 350.  Piece of junk.  It does not work under tree cover, takes for ever to lock on and is way to hard to use.  But, I use it because I bought it.  In time, I will either figure it out or just leave it on a stand one day and walk away.

Sure do miss my GPS 12  :(  Simple, reliable and did I mention simple?

Now, as for how does it help - here is how I use my GPS units in the field.

First and formost you need a good Mapping program for your computer.  Anything that says Delorme on it is not in the Good Mapping Program catagory.  If you want a really good program, try TOPO! by Wildflower Productions.  They do maps for each state, and they are very detailed.  Each state will run you about 50 bucks, but they are worth evey penny.  There are others out there that people swear by, but they have never used TOPO!.  If they had, they would see how silly it is to say they have a good mapping program.  Especially if they use anything by Delorme.  In reality, all TOPO! is, is the USGS maps of your state put seamlessly on your computer.  They are VERY VERY accruarate.  Every Topo program by Delorme that I have used or seen, and it's been a bunch, were accidents waiting to happen.  They might be good if you want to walk trails, but they have very little detail compared to TOPO!

When I am in the field. I mark sign with my GPS.  If I find tracks, I mark them.  If I find Scatt, I mark it, no matter what kind of sign I find, I mark it.  I also mark game trails, foot paths and anything else I feel inclined to mark.  When I get home, I transfer those places marked to my TOPO! mapping program.  I can choose symbols and text to mark things on the map.  At first, your map will just look like a buch of mumble jumble.  But after a couple of years, it will start to take on a whole new meaning to you if you hunt the same areas a lot.  I also carry a small notebook with me, so that I can write notes about  some of the things I mark on the GPS.  Direction of travel for tracks and so forth.  Over time, this information has allowed me to find den sites, bedding areas, water crossing, fence crossings and ambush sites that I might never have found.  

By using the maps, I can pick out a likely spot at home and plug the numbers into my GPS and select it as a GoTo when I am in the field and navigate right to where I want to be.

I can also print out my maps and take them with me if I need too.  One of the things I do on my maps is put grid lines on them.  TOPO! allows me to do this easily.  I then mark each grid line with the coordinates.  When in the field, I can take a GPS reading and using the map, tell pretty much right where I am at.  

A lot of the maps I have, have taken me years to make.  And they get updated everytime I am in the field, but they sure do help.  

What ever you spend on a GPS, make sure you spend at least 20 to 30 bucks on a compass and that you know how to use it.  

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Radd4

As you can tell there really is not much more that I can add.  AL covered it quite well,  You think he knows anything about GPS?   Al you did a great job of explaining
heck you taught we a thing or two that I will use.

Rus
Radd4
Retired USAF
Desert Storm Veteran
Remember to thank those who are serving our country and the families of those who have died to keep you safe...Our Troops, Police and Firemen deserve our thanks"

THO Game Calls

Thanks,

I will try to post a few picture of the maps I have made over the years today so you can get a visual idea of what I am talking about with the grid lines and things.  Right now, I am working on a SUPER SECRET ARTICLE that I hope to get posted here today.   Once that is done, I will see if I can dig up some of the maps.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

CCP

AL covered it very well

I also use the topo maps on the computer to down load info off of my GPS and load back into my GPS. I mark my stand locations then add AN S,N,E or W to it indicating desired wind I need for that stand. That way I can check wind direction before going out hunting. Type in the desired S,N,E or W in the search and it lets me know which stands are good to go to.

I have the E-trex legend with the built in antenna wish it had a external jack would love to put it on the back pack and stick the unit in my pocket. Thick canopy above me does shut out the signal at times but, most of its use is in the winter and fall so not a problem.

We use the latest greatest units at work for our GIS programs mapping power grids, they  go to sub cm . I loose sat connection several times a day when canopies are thick or mountain is blocking signal late afternoon.  I constantly have to watch where the sat's are and signal strength.

Just get out and use it play with it and get a good program to go along with it as AL said. You will be amazed at what you see and the things you never thought of before. I feel about any over the counter GPS will suit a hunting Application. I still take the legend hunting even tho I have access to 20,000 dollar GPS units and the legend stays on my dash at work to.

let me add Iam not a GPS wiz Iam just lucky enough to get to play with them all day.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Jeb

I do appreciate all this info , making the gps a valuable tool  using this thing hunting . Alot of good points made , keep it coming and a huge thanks for the input. :congrats:
                   Jeb

Radd4

Quote from: Jeb on November 11, 2006, 11:47:35 AM
I do appreciate all this info , making the gps a valuable tool  using this thing hunting . Alot of good points made , keep it coming and a huge thanks for the input. :congrats:
                   Jeb

+1 Thanks guys keep the info coming, I am going to use CCp's idea about wind direction

Rus
Radd4
Retired USAF
Desert Storm Veteran

vvarmitr

I have a GPS too. I use it as extra weight to keep my fanny pack from riding up over my gut! :innocentwhistle:

Jeb

Quote from: vvarmitr on November 11, 2006, 06:24:22 PM
I have a GPS too. I use it as extra weight to keep my fanny pack from riding up over my gut! :innocentwhistle:

LOL   :laf:

Mallardsr

I have the Garmin Etrex Vista w/ topo maps cds. I paid close to $400 for all of it , probably the worst money I ever spent. Why ? This coming from a surveying background w/ civil eng schooling, The  good is that the software in the unit is logical. It has some good calculating funtions . Provides  the standard info most gps units do .The bad ,The barometer for elevation is a joke. The lock time is to long. The receiver although as good as most  is useless under any kind of canopy. The topo cds elevation interval is to large to give useful info in the field and is often misleading. Significant features you can see often dont show up,However most roads and streams are on there but often dont project to the true end or beginning.The magnetic compass, well if your lost you will really be lost if it doesnt calibrate right. Buy a compass , a good quad map and a flashlight. Its tons cheaper .As Al said, the gps 12 by Garmin was a solid unit.It didnt have any of the advanced funtions like the Vista. If you just gotta have one,there is two ways to go, (1) buy something cheap that will store points, get you from A to B , or(2) Garmin has come out with a new receiver. The model I think is the GPS 60 Map. I have seen this unit lock on inside a steel building. The price ?close to $ 500. Someone may know more about this unit. In my opinion,if your going to buy one, buy one that works under most all conditions.

Jeb

Well i spent part of the weekend marking gates , roads ect trying to get used to this thing. The topo software that came with it is really cool. Being able to map out and print out a place is awesome. I can even preview and watch all my movements in real time or fast time with the program. Keeps up with distance, mph, ect eveything. As long as its turned on , every movement is tracked. Still got tons to learn.
                                            Jeb

CCP

Here are two good websites that will help understand the basics of how GPS and recievers work in layman terms better than I can explain.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/howgpsworks.php
http://www.cmtinc.com/gpsbook/index.htm
Cut an paste them
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

browning204

Good suff CCP! thanks for the links.  I don't use my gps nearly enough to work it flawlessly.
I have one of the Etrex yellow ones, it's ok but doesn't pick up a good signal in the woods and takes a loong time to find the satelites when started up..
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

bowjunkie

one thing I've found with the Etrax gps's ,if the batteries get more than half dead they slow way down

Joel Hughes

I'm a big fan of the GPS too.  I started out with a Garmin Rino 120.  It has two way communication capability.  Loved it.  It was stolen this summer when some loser broke into my truck and took more than I wish to admit to you guys that I had left in my truck. LOL  The good thing was, I got to go GPS shopping. :biggrin:  I ended up buying the Garmin GPSMAP 60Cxs.  Two words....AWESOME...expensive!  But what the heck...it's just money right?

Al covered the points well.  I'll reiterate that if you're going to spend the money, get one that you can load TOPO maps on.  Not just one that you can download points onto your computer.  It's nice to actually have the TOPO, ranch roads, etc. right there on your screen in the field.  Many of the cheaper Garmin models will do this for you as well.  A real good unit and won't break the bank is a Garmin Etrex Legend.  I've used it and would highly recommend it if you don't want to spend too much $.  The 60Csx has a color screen, can store an enormous amount of points and tracks.  It has the best reception I've seen.  No need for an external antenna on this thing.  I can pick up multiple satellites inside of my house.  I couldn't do that with my Rino - I had to be outside for sat. reception.  Whatever you get, just take the time to figure out what the thing can do.  Too many people have an exceptional unit and have no clue what it can do for them.

I use mine mostly for hunting.  I mark good calling spots (I mostly night hunt so that is helpful), danger areas (highlines, etc. that could wipe out my night stand/rig), property boudaries, gates, the ranch owner's house, the list goes on.
It is fun to take on trips too.  Mine holds up to 1 gig of memory using the micro SD card I bought for it (actually would hold more if I were to buy a larger stick).  That's enough memory to hold half the U.S. in TOPO maps.  I loaded TOPO and City Select.  City Select allows you to pull up "points of interest" and travel right to them.  This includes every gun shop you can think of, all restaurants...any address.  You type in the address and it takes you right there.  Or you search for a point of interest near you and it tells you the names of them and you go right to them.  Many more features that I could list, but it is definitely a good investment.  I don't leave for the hunting grounds without it.

Another good place for info on GPSing is http://forums.groundspeak.com
Not a whole lot of hunters there, but those geeks no a LOT about the units.  Great place to ask questions and get tips.

Joel

CCP

I finally found the website I was looking for it has alot of info

http://www.montana.edu/places/gps/understd.html
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

CCP

Just got a Basspro flyer and they have the Garmin E-trax legend on sale for$ 99.00 thats right $99.00 I think that is a helluva deal.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net