• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Alscalls has fur down!!

Started by Frogman, August 02, 2008, 10:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alscalls

We were very carefull about where we walked and putting scent out for both decoys, as well as cover scent for the trip we were making anyway to put out the call.
We have done a lot of stands without the decoy in the very same way with a lot of hangups. I do believe the decoys and scent used made the difference. It was very clear watching this coyote he wanted the decoy... :eyebrownod:
I know there have been arguments about this and truth is in seeing it yourself............I have now seen and believe, decoys can work and work well. As for the no legs? this decoy is easy to carry, it folds up just like my turkey decoys and packing it around is not a problem. When you stake it to the ground and look at it from a distanse you can not tell that it has no legs.
I am a mouth caller most of the time and I am convinced some animals will come to just the call yet I am equally convinced in pressured areas some will not come unless they see another animal.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

coy,
    You may be right.  The coyote might have come just to the sounds from the Scorpion playing on the hay bale.  I have had them do that before I got the Quiver Critter.  I feel the wiggling movement adds a lot to this setup.  Al said that the coyote was so intent on the decoys and the sound that it only looked back at him for a second when he woofed at it with his mouth to stop it for the shot.  Before he could break the shot it turned it's attention back to the decoys and the sound.
     As to the weight of all this stuff.  The decoys are designed to be quite light.  The Yote decoy is hollow rubber similar to my turkey decoy.  It folds up and will fit in the game puch of the turkey vest.  The Quiver Critter is also made of light plastic and comes apart into three easy to cary parts that also fit easily in my turkey vest.  We would however love to have golfertrout join us.  He is a big guy and if we could talk him into coming along we could breng even more neat stuff, like the climber tree stand we often wish we had.
      As to leaving a scent trail to the decoys.  Only one of us walked out into the field to set up the decoys.  Both of us spray fox scent on our boots, shower at least once a week and wash our hunting clothes at least twice a year.   :innocentwhistle:   I know that a coyotes nose can defeat all our best efforts but we do our best to keep the scent to a minimum.  Also we had to get the Scorpion  out to the hay bale anyway so there was no more scent than what would have been there.  We always spray additional fox or rabbit scent around the decoys to try to confuse the coyotes as much as possible.  We are also very aware of wind direction.  If you look again at the first two photos you will see that we had the wind coming down the long meadow from left to right.  The path we took to set up the decoys  minimized the scent trial that a coyote would encounter as he approached the set-up.    The idea being to kill him before he crossed that scent trail which is exactly how it worked out.  We also were aware of the direction we came into this field which was to Als right.  In other words we approached the meadow in such a way as to not walk through the area we expected to see coyotes.  We approached with the wind in our face.  
      Every stand is a learning experience and I appreciate your questions about this successful one.  By responding to your questions it has required me to think through to setup again and put into words what we were thinking as to how to setup in this particular situation.   :wo:  We took the wind into account, the direction the sun was shining, our scent, visibility for the shooter. etc.  Hopefully others who read this can learn from our experience.  Other hunters might choose to set up differently.  This setup worked for us.  
     I really like the movement added to the setup by the Quiver Critter and will continue to use it on my stands.

Thanks again for the questions and good hunting!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bootmud

Great job!  Pics and story are excellant.
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

CCP

Good job great story enjoyed reading it. Hope you guys have a great year. :highclap:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

Way to go Al and Jim. :congrats: It sounds like you're getting those coyotes figured out a little. Good story and pictures too. :yoyo:

nick

LORDDAL

nice lookin dog and a great story good set up to keep on layin the smack down on em guys  :yoyo:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Tikaani

Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing them.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Silencer

Good job guys  :congrats:  Makes me want to get out and do some calling.

Carolina Coyote

Way to go guys, good story, and that sure is some purdy country you are hunting in, waiting for some cooler weather here in Carolina. Keep up the good work.
thanks for sharing with us. cc

browning204

great job and heck of a shot!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Roundman

bushmaster

"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

golfertrout

coycaller your response about the decoy and quiver critter.   As anyone knows a decoy will absolutely help in calling in coyotes, I bet you have had alot come in on you and look for what is making all that noise and not see anything and sneak out without you even knowing he was around.  Don't you think a coyote is smart enough to know if he don't see something happening he probable is not going to come in that extra distance. As far as the scent, do you think Al, Jim and myself know to use cover scent and not spread the human scent. Just thinking out loud here but DONT INSULT OUR INTELLIGENCE.       P.S   I hope you don't go buy one of those decoys , that way there will be more coyotes for us decoy users

canine

I gotta disagree that golfertrout, I understand you were offended by his tone...rightfully so...but, coyotes can be suckered into very close quarters without the use of a decoy.
Also, not always are coyotes gonna run right in to a decoy. Especially a coyote decoy.

Nice job on the call in fellas.

JD

coyote101

Hey Al,

What, if anything, did you do to the decoy to get it ready to use? To get rid of the rubber smell? Cover scents, scent killer, just air it out, or nothing?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coycaller

Quote from: golfertrout on August 04, 2008, 08:08:16 PM
coycaller your response about the decoy and quiver critter.   As anyone knows a decoy will absolutely help in calling in coyotes, I bet you have had alot come in on you and look for what is making all that noise and not see anything and sneak out without you even knowing he was around.  Don't you think a coyote is smart enough to know if he don't see something happening he probable is not going to come in that extra distance. As far as the scent, do you think Al, Jim and myself know to use cover scent and not spread the human scent. Just thinking out loud here but DONT INSULT OUR INTELLIGENCE.       P.S   I hope you don't go buy one of those decoys , that way there will be more coyotes for us decoy users
[/quote

Hiya golfertrout (Dave),
    Not to worry my friend. I don't see myself buying one of the rubber coyote decoys anytime in the near future. Heck, after the raving review it got here they're probably sold out by now and I couldn't buy one if I wanted to. :wink:  If you fellas feel like the decoy helps you kill coyotes, by all means use it. That's why EdgeExpidite makes em, markets em and sells em.
    Dave, I certainly didn't mean to insult anybodies intelligence. If you took it that way, I do apoligize. That is not what I meant to do at all. I have been playing the coyote calling game a long, long time. I've tried it all. I've heard it all. I've seen it all.  I by no means claim to be an expert at calling coyotes. But I do have a fairly good grasp about what it takes and what needs to be done to call em.
    I think it was Al that said ....it WORKS.... (about the decoy) in big bold letters.  Did it :shrug:  OR, would that young coyote have came out into the opening and been shot in the eye almost the exact same way if neither one of the decoys had been out there, with only the caller being used?  My guess is yes. To me, one very young, not very wise coyote does not warrant a big ...it WORKS....Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't. Would an older, wiser coyote showed itself like the youngster did?  Was mom/dad coyote with the youngster or nearby in the trees/bushes and didn't come out because they saw or smelled something they didn't like?  Cover scents. Do they really work (for coyotes)??  Very debatable.  Lots of questions, possibilities, if this, if that.  Way to many variables to declare ...it WORKS...There is alot that could be debated and questioned in your quote above Dave. Let's not go there.
    When Al, Jim and you Dave (if you can get up early enough to go with em and help carry all the crap :laf:) get out there and make about 20 more calling stands using the rubber coyote, I'd be glad to hear more.  Until then Dave, please don't insult MY intelligence...... Al and Jim, no beef with you two fellas at all. I appretiated and respected the way you guys replied to my initial post. Actually no beef with you either Dave.. After all, it's the friggin internet!!  Hell, maybe I'll go callin with you guys someday and I'LL carry all the crap. :roflmao:
    Larry

PS.  I'm fairly new to the FnF board with not many posts.  I'm not sure how it works here.  Do I get dogpiled on now by all the buddies of Al, Jim and Dave?  Do I get my peepee whacked from the board owner? Maybe banned? I hope not. I kinda like it here.  :bowingsmilie:   

wv_yoter

Larry , I don't think anyone will whack your peepee or ban you. That only happens over at that other forum.
Jason

alscalls

Hold on!.........................It works for me... :corn: And I do not care if some one likes it or not. I also have no problem killing a young dumb one. I learned a lot and had a blast. :readthis:
I would hope that anyone that hunts can understand I am happy to share this set up with others so we can all try and be better at what we do. If I get to the point where I know it all I will let ya know. Dave is a friend of mine and a damn fine coyote hunter in my book and his earlier posts were personal and for me....an inside joke if you will.
I do not work for any manufacture of decoys or e-callers nor am I a pro staffer for anyone. However I was asked in another post ....how is that decoy working for ya so I posted here being the smart ass that I am......It works. Sue me
If this turns into a bitch session where I am asked to explain myself I hope Jimbo deletes it!
Or better yet I will explain now I am a hunter.......I eat meat....I wear leather.......I hate antis.....and I will never apologize for how I do it cause someone don't like it......I sleep fine knowing I never broke the law.....I was ethical.......and I learned something. If anyone tries to take that from me.........There in for a ride
Please do not try and ruin my experience with my Internet friends or my personal friends I will take offense to either. If you would take the time to know me before jumping at the chance to put down how I do things........You might see something you claim you already saw........Or you might just learn something..... A smart Coyote never stops learning.
So learn this, some things I will do you will not agree with..........Get over it.......I am OK with it and I will sleep OK
Any further babble will be read and ignored. :corn:
Coycaller we can get along in here....I just feel a little bashed over the head for being glad my decoy did its job. And for my friend taking up for me. Thats not why I am in here
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

coycaller-- Nice response. You'll fit in here alright I'm sure.

golfertrout-- I got where you were coming from but I don't believe coycaller actually meant it that way.

Just my opinion if it even counts in this matter.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11