• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Calling Contest???

Started by alscalls, August 12, 2008, 05:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rprince

Quote from: coycaller on August 13, 2008, 11:03:49 AM
I don't think you could ever have a fair, unbiased contest on this board,

How about having one person that can post the sound clips. That way the identity of the caller is not revealed to everyone until the votes have been counted?   :wo:

Just a thought.

coycaller

Semp, if the actors are known I don't think you could have a fair contest on any board.  Normally at orginized compatitions the contestants are usually behind a wall or curtain so the judges have no idea who is making all the racket.
Rprince might be onto something.

wv_yoter

Quote from: Rprince on August 13, 2008, 01:13:21 PM
Quote from: coycaller on August 13, 2008, 11:03:49 AM
I don't think you could ever have a fair, unbiased contest on this board,

How about having one person that can post the sound clips. That way the identity of the caller is not revealed to everyone until the votes have been counted?   :wo:

Just a thought.

I like this idea. It keeps it from being a popularity contest.  Just remember it's for fun.
Jason

Silencer

You'd need a mic and recording program, other than that sounds good. 

Wasnt there a contest before run like this ?  Someone collected all the calls ...  :wo:

KySongDog

IIRC, that in the past, each contestant sent their sound to Jim or a moderator   THO Al who posted the sound as a number.  Then everyone voted for the number of the sound they liked best in a category.   No one knows who the number belongs to until the winner is decided by the number of votes.

At least I think that is the way it was done in the past.   I agree no contest is going to be 100% fair but that is as close as we are likely to get unless someone can think of a better way.   :wo:

edited: I now remember it was THO Al who handled the contest.

canine

THO took care of the last calling rounds we had. They were annonymous, he put numbers to them and there was still some controversy. Not on THO's part though. A contestant was involved.

Video would definately prove the caller was submitting his sounds. Put a set of rules into the videoing, caller must wear a face mask  :laf: And not have a shirt on with his or her name on it  :laf:

Just a couple thoughts...Whatever you all come up with I'd like to play along, If I may..

JD

Bills Custom Calls

Yes we had a calling contest earlier sponsered by THO he collected the sounds and then posted them in a thread with #'s and then open board vote and only then were the winners names were known
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Silencer

I like the idea of sending a video link, wearing a mask or something just cuz I dont have a computer mic and I'm dont plan on buying one.  But thats just me. 

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

Nice suggestions and it is just for fun...........Jimbo, I would like to hear your thoughts :confused:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Rich

alscalls,

I have been unable to figure out how to transfer my video clip to the computer. Since a couple of other fellows have suggested that the identity of a contestent should not be known, maybe it would be better to simply post links to audio recordings rather than bother with the video version?
The confusion last time was that my first entry to pup distress contest was disputed. I think I made the mistake of giving my sound to a guy I thought was a friend. This "friend" then passes my sound to a well known feller. My "friend" claims the sound was his own personal recording and the sound gets posted on a popular website. I am not a computer guru by any means, and I have never copy righted anything, so I got screwed. Anyway, the matter was cleared up when I made a new recording to submit. Rest assured that any of my future online contest sounds will be heard at the contest before anyone else does. They will be genuine, hot off the press recordings.

THO managed the contest sounds last time, and he did an honest job.  I would trust him to do the next one if he is willing.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

KySongDog

Quote from: Rich on August 13, 2008, 11:05:18 PM

THO managed the contest sounds last time, and he did an honest job.  I would trust him to do the next one if he is willing.

+1

Silencer

I can still record sound on my camera and I think load it up to a .wmv or some type of audio file.  :yoyo:
And... if that doesnt work, I'll borrow a mic from someone in the family. 

another vote again for THO on a job well done.   I got to vote in the last one, but didnt have any way to record my own sounds.

THO Game Calls

The last calling contest I gave away just over a half dozen calls

ended up in the middle of the Cronk Weedwacker controversy

ended up in the middle of yet another controversy weather someone used a sound from a calling CD as their sound

pissed off a bunch of call makers who felt slighted their calls were not accepted for the prizes

got accused of stiffing people on the calls they won

and then spent close to 100 bucks overnighting the calls I gave away to the individuals concerned.

Thanks, but I think I will pass

The Dork

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

alscalls

I know just what to do........I will post it soon :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls