• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hunting Partner (part II).

Started by Tikaani, August 13, 2008, 01:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

After high school he became assistant guide in the Lake Clark area, but quickly became disillusioned by the abuse, disrespect of wildlife and his State by outsiders in the search for record book animals.  A journalist asking him to look the other way so he could shoot a bigger caribou than the one he took earlier put an end to that occupation.  He spent several years as a fishing guide, were the clientele were more to his liking.

He has hunted almost every game species in Alaska.  A few years ago he spent ten days hunting in Africa where he took a Cape Buffalo, Kudu and assorted other antelope.  To meet him you would never know these things about him, his ego does not have to be stroked.  He is also an accomplished taxidermist as can be seen by my wolverine. 

I met Mark several years ago when he asked if I would remodel his kitchen.  He paid me for my work and we entered a discussion about guns and hunting, I told him I was thinking about buying a 300 WM, he said he had one he wanted me to look at. A Sig Sauer 220 with a Leupold scope, a beautiful gun to be sure. He gave it to me right there, I refused for three weeks until he hid it in my truck, I still tell him I am just borrowing it.  Since then we have become good friends.   Prior to meeting Mark I muddled my way through the tribulations of hunting in Alaska.  Today he is the only person I call to go hunting with, if he can't make it I go alone, comfortable knowing what he has unwittingly taught me has made me a better hunter.  Mark no longer traps, he has his reasons, but again he is the first person I call when I need some help, he is like an encyclopedia when it comes to animal behavior.  In three weeks we leave for our annual moose hunt, in March we head north for a week of wolf hunting, there will be some in hunts in between I am sure. 

I have only talked to one person on this forum, other than that I do not know anyone here. I am aware some of you know each other and hunt together, I figured I would tell you a little about my hunting partner.

John

Mark 2007

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

MDM

alscalls

Thats cool John,
You come down some time and I am sure you can find A turkey or coyote partner to share a fire or two with....I would take you anytime..........We could use Bopeye as a big turkey decoy.......... :roflmao:
Tiake pics of your hunt
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DirtyDog

Thats great John that you have someone special to share your memories with.  :yoyo:

Tikaani

I wish I could get just one of my kids to go out with me, but they have zero interest in the outdoors.  I still ask them but they would rather not.  I guess thats the youth of today, growing up most kids hunted or spent time fishing, even here you see it less and less.
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Silencer

Good partner  :congrats:  My main hunting partners are my kids, they get VERY upset if I leave them home lol. 
For the most part I let them partake in all of the hunt, including the calling.  It doesnt matter to me if we get anything, like you stated most kids just dont get into it, I'm thankful they do and I'm spending time with them.

DirtyDog

Quote from: Tikaani on August 13, 2008, 08:08:19 AM
I wish I could get just one of my kids to go out with me, but they have zero interest in the outdoors.  I still ask them but they would rather not.  I guess thats the youth of today, growing up most kids hunted or spent time fishing, even here you see it less and less.

I can relate John. My oldest wanted to go at first. I went and tried to teach him safety, and the woods and he listened good. However, the actual hunt part was boring to him and he would rather be at hom eplaying with his freinds. My youngest on the other hand will be taking trips with me this year, and I know he is going to have a ball. I can tell by how much he likes to fish. I

Hawks Feather

Thanks for sharing that and it does seem that you have not only a good hunting partner, but friend as well.  One of the nice things about FnF is that it seems we have friends, even if we really don't know them personally, all over the United States.  I am sure that if you make it to the lower 48 there will be many of us who would be more than happy to have you as a hunting partner.  Now, with that being said, you are getting ready to go hunt moose and squirrel season is about ready to come in here, so if you want a MORE challenging (read that as smaller) target, you are more than welcome to come to Ohio. 

Jerry

Okanagan

Thank you.  That's a tribute to a friend. 

KySongDog

Nice story, John.  You've got a special friend there for sure.

I'll echo what some have said already.  If ya get down around Kaintuckee I think I know where ya might find a gobbler or two.    :biggrin:

Good luck on your moose hunt!

Semp

Bopeye

That's pretty awesome John. Kinda reminds me of someone that is willing to drag me along coyote hunting.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

iahntr

Scott