• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First blood on the Fury

Started by possumal, January 01, 2009, 04:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Weedwalker and Possumal went out at first light today for a few stands, and to further test the new Fury.  Howled a big pair in at the very crack of day, with Weedwalker smacking one of them and missing one.  The one he hit made it into some really thick briars and brush and I couldn't get that big rascal to crawl back in there to see if he could retrieve it.  So, we headed on back to an adjoining farm, and got set up on one of my favorite spots.  I put the Weedwalker up the fencerow where odds were he could see any approaching yote from the likelier spots, and hung the Fury in a thick sinkhole area beside a brushy creek bottom.  Started with the Female Invitational Howl, waited a couple of minutes and repeated.  A few minutes later, switched to the Female Whimpers with an occasional coyote pup distress stirred in for effect.  About 5 minutes into the set, here comes a big pair slipping up the other side of the creek, about 125 yds out.  I could see the eyes squinting on the lead yote trying to filter out the sun rays.  I was afraid they would cross the creek and get my scent as the wind switched a good deal. So I decided to try to bore a 70 grain Blitz King through a few pieces of broom sage and dropped the hammer.  If you could have seen the hole it blew through right behind her shoulder, you'd have been as amazed as we were that she struggled up the hill on the other side about 35 yds and wasn't totally dead 15 minutes later when I finally gave up on getting her mate back.  They continue to amaze me with their toughness.  So all in all it was a good day that could have been better, but it was a lot of fun for Weedwalker Ed and Possumal.  The Fury performed perfectly again, all features.  Here are a few pictures of a real nice female.  I wish we could have recovered the one Weedwalker smacked.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Yotehntr

:yoyo: Great job! enjoyed the read and pics! They are some tough critters, that's for sure.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

coyote101

Way to go Possumal and Weedwalker!  :highclap: :highclap: At least somebody is doing some good out there. Thanks for the story and the pictures.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

alscalls

:congrats: :congrats:
Lot better than all our dry stands......WTG
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

weedwalker

Possumal and I had a great hunt today. :yoyo: I sure would've liked to got the one I missed. It was a huge coyote. But I misjudged the distance in the early morning light. :madd: We checked it later and it was a 275 yd shot. He had been closer in to me but almost slipped away before he got around to where I could shoot.
That Fury did a great job too. It sounded great and did a good job calling in the 4 coyotes.

pitw

Good hunting and the killing wasn't bad either.  Man you guy's look like tree's when you go out.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Yeah there's a heck of a hole in that one  :laf:
Nice write up,  nice job :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Great to see ya taking advantage of your vacation time, Ed!   :eyebrownod: