• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coyote Vocalizations

Started by FinsnFur, December 07, 2006, 12:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Lone Howl - Challenge Howl - Group Howl - Yip Howl - F.U. Charlie Howl

Based on your own experiences or studies, explain what distinguishes one of these from the other.
And why you would use what in certian situations.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

Lone Howl - Challenge Howl - Group Howl - Yip Howl - F.U. Charlie Howl

The Lone Howl is my number one go to call, when using vocalizations. Its a good rounded all purpose call to use as well. And to be honest, its hard to mess up. Coyotes respond well to the lone howl as well. There are a ton of diffrent variations on this one as well, and when calling I differ my lone howls as well......

I my put some barks in front or may not. Or some barks after. And depending on who you talk to some do and some don't use barks.

I use the lone howl to open a stand or anytime during a stand to change things up as well. I may also include some puppy howls in front then a Lone howl answer to follow.

One thing I try to do is make sure when I blow a Lone howl that it has a rise in the beginning and tapers off at the end. As long as it tapers off it don't show aggression to other coyotes. And how long the howl is don't make much difference to me, I don't have a set Lght of the howl. I also try and keep it on the high pitched side to sound like a younger coyote.

I use this howl at any time of the year for diffrent reasons, its good in the breeding season, or denning season, summer or fall. Its just a good rounded call to use on stand!

The Challenge Howl, or Threat bark howl.......

This is a howl that I don't use very often. I very seldom blow this howl until a coyote Threat Barks at me first. Then I just give them back as close to the same as they give me. And just try to make on the high pitched side and not sound over aggressive or intimidating to the other coyote.

Every once in awhile I will use a threat bark howl at the end of a stand just as a last ditch effort. Or if I know the coyote is there and I want to try and get a rise out of it. And if I get busted for some reason other than the wind. If I get a coyote in that hasn't winded me and is barking at me, then I bark back and may give a threat bark howl to prey on there Territorial instincs. More of a gut feeling on when and were to use this howl.

Group Howl - Yip Howl

I use this howl more for locating than anything. Sometimes we will group howl on a stand just to change things up some and give me something diffrent to change up some.

I love this sound for locating though, I don't haft to worry so much about a physical responce from them just a vocal responce. I use it at night allot as well. And it seems to fire the local packs up real well.

One other howl thats not listed that I use allot is the Puppy howls. I use these allot. I also use the lost puppy howls allot as well. Coyotes seem to respond well for me at anytime of the year to these howls. What I will do is start out with a couple puppy howls then a adult answer, then go right strait to the puppy distress Cries and wines. Kind of lay out a story line so to speak for the coyotes, I do this with most all my howling......... Story being a puppy howls, or is lost and a adult answers, then the next thing they hear is the puppy in distress, Its a I got to go check this out thing I guess, but its produces for me allot.

Adult coyote distress......

I use this some, not as much as the puppy distress though. Anytime I shoot a coyotes weather I hit or miss I go right strait to the coyotes distress sound. And I will mix this sound in with my calling on stand as well, kind of like the story line deal again.

Puppy distress and puppy wines and Cries..........

This is my main sound! Very few stands to I set that I do not blow this sound. And its called allot of coyotes for me. I almost always end the stand with puppy distress and I love to mix the wines and Cries in with my calling. Allot of stands this is the only sound I will blow, and depending on the stand, I mix these in with just about all my howling at one point or the other.

There are a few other sounds I use every once in a while, female coyote estrus chirps, growling, and barks, are mixed in the bad of tricks as well. I use these sounds from time to time, allot of it depending on the time of year and area I am calling, and what takes place on stand.

I throw some barks in with about all my howling from time to time as well. Again just depends on whats going on, time of year and the area I am calling.

Here is a few link to some of my sounds to give you a idea of what sounds I am talking about and use......

http://www.keescalls.com/Volume1_sound_samples/adultdistressnew3.wav

http://www.keescalls.com/Volume1_sound_samples/groupnew3.wav

http://www.keescalls.com/Volume1_sound_samples/lonehowlsnew3.wav

http://www.keescalls.com/Volume1_sound_samples/pupdistressnew3.wav

http://www.keescalls.com/Volume1_sound_samples/puppyhowlnew3.wav

Brent

stevecriner

" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

Bob D

Thanks for the sound clip Steve. It was very good and informative. A good way to learn from an experienced caller. Just one question though? What sound do you use to just call a coyote tail??? :laf:

stevecriner

Hunters Specialties

Bob D

stevecriner

Dag gummit your good on that howler Brent!! Nice sides and info.

Hunters Specialties

RShaw

Jim, I cant get any of Brent's link to work on my dang computer. I am sure it is on my end. Any suggestions?
I can hear steve's just fine.

Randy

I forgot to add when I click on the links it locks up my computer.

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

Bob D

Brent,
Your coyote howls and sounds are very good.  :highclap: Sounded like the real thing to me. Just one question though? When the coyotes come to your calls with the music, are they waltzing or doing the foxtrot?  :hahaha:
Bob

FinsnFur

Randy...are you able to play ANY wav files on your computer? Their just wav files and should open up automatically with either sound recorder or Quicktime.

That's Dire Straights...Romeo and Juliet, Bob. Had to do something to keep people from downloading them.
He's got em for sale.   :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

fuzz624

Brent,it amazes me how realistic you sound on that howler.Really really nice brent.I think that those sound clips will help alote of people on here.Thanks Brent.

CCP

Good job Brent and Steve :yoyo:

I have only been using coyote vocalizations on stands for the past 3 or 4 years. I used to only use them for locating. After meeting ILcoyote and stan at LBL 5 years ago I was very interested in coyote vocalizations,they hunt coyotes with vocalizations only. I tried allot of different things and found barks and yelps work best for the area I hunt.

usually I wait until the 15min mark and do a few barks and yelps sometimes mixed with prey sounds.If there is one hung up where I cant see him he will come on in. I have tried the howls in every configuration I can think of with out a response.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Jeb

Jeesh Brent , I never knew you played Michael Bolton in the background while you howled them coyotes in.  :wo:   Will any elevator music work ?   :eyebrownod:
                       Jeb

WhiteHare

I can get Brent's just fine.  Only get about 32 seconds of Steve's out of aroung 4 + minutes.  Is the end of the sound file a void?
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

keekee

Steve,

Thats good stuff there! Coyote tails? your Killen me...Lol...I got pic somewere of that!................No all joking aside. Good sounds! I like that Threat bark howl! That has to be a Brad H howler?

Thanks for all the good comments guys, I just blow the thing really! Allot, though!  Rich Higgins has tough me allot over the years and credit is due were credit is due. Me and Rich have spent allot of time hunting and on the phone, rich has been a big mentor to me over the years.

Thanks for all the feed back!

The music just keeps them interested! And takes there mind off the gun shots!

Brent

Rich Higgins

"Rich Higgins has tough me allot over the years and credit is due were credit is due."

Credit is indeed due. Fact is, Brent is the best on a howler that I have ever heard. Better than me.
Now if we can just do something about that damn theme music.  At least Michael Bolton is better on stand than the theme from Shaft.

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the sounds.  I need to practice before I start scaring away critters with a howler and this gives me great references.

Brent, I don't have the right background music to practice with, can you tell us the artist?   :laf:

Jerry

FinsnFur

:roflmao:
I told you it was Romeo and Juliet, by Dire Straights
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

fuzz624

Rich,good god man,Michael Bolton?Are you trying to call gay coyotes or what?I was thinking more on the lines of Knocken on Heavens Door by Guns n Roses. :laf:

keekee

As general reference, I use the following music when I practice..................

For Fawn distress or death cries.....Country music!

For Jack Rabbit or aggressive sounds........Heavy metal!

For cottontail or coaxing sounds.........Rock!

For Bird sounds........Bluegrass!

For Howling sounds............Elevator Music or classical!

Brent