• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Weather fronts / conditions

Started by FinsnFur, December 07, 2006, 10:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Tell us how you use the different weather situations to your advantage.
And how does the weather effect our calling?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

The weather is a factor in my calling for sure but, most of the time it just calls for me to change tactic's some.

Rain.....

I don't call much in the rain, a drizzle is OK but if its raining by the buckets full, I just stay at the house and watch football...lol...I have called in the rain and never done much good, a light rain or drizzle is fine though.

Wind.......

I don't mind the wind here in the hills, we seem to have it most all the time anyway, and up in the flat part of the state we haft to deal with it about all the time, same with the strip mine areas to. As long as it stay below 15 mph, I don't change a thing. If it picks up more than that then I try to stay low, the coyotes seem to hit the thick cover or the bottom of the hollows more then. So, I change as well. I move in allot closer to were I think they are, or were I think they are holed up and then make my stand. I also make my stands allot closer togeather when the wind picks up, the sound don't travel as far.

And I may change my calling as well. I like to open my stands with howls when the wind is picked up, and I still start out calling soft, but will change to a good load call faster than I normally would though. And I tend to blow more of a lower pitched sound in the wind like a Jack Rabbit or Fawn distress sound.

Snow..........

I love to hunt in the snow! Anytime, the coyotes seem to move allot more in the snow, unless it gets to deep. As a rule for me, if I have trouble getting around walking in it then they do to. I may set up more on old roads with tier tracks in them, or cattle paths, deer trails were the snow is beat down and they can travel these lanes better. Fence rows are good as well, the snow seems to drift well on the fence lines and the other side is not as deep, depending on the wind and snow drifts. Any place were it gives the coyote a clear path is good set ups.

COLD!.........

This is my favorite! I love cold freezing temps! They move, they feed and they seem to do more of it. Plus I got a good idea of were they will bed up when its freezing. I like the sunny side of the hills. This is my favorite conditions to hunt in, the colder the better.

Weather front are always good to me, anytime I can get out before a major front hits I do. Game just seems to move allot better right before a front. And sometimes right after a front as well. If I can get a couple days of major rain then it clears off, I am going to hunt if I can, same with the day before a major front.

I also like those foggy mornings were the fog lays low in the woods and fields. These type of mornings have been good to me. But the foggy nights make for some tough night calling.

Brent

Jimmie in Ky

If it's raining I stay home. I think they are as miserable in the rain as I am and hole up more. It's a lot harder to call a coyote that isn't moving than one that is.

We don't always have a choice in choosing the weather we can get to hunt in. Winds can be a problem. Any thing over fifteen miles an hour and I go to more of a run and gun aproach. Sounds can't be heard as far in higher winds. I also start out calling wide open in winds over ten miles an hour to be heard under the conditions I have here. Not all oaks loose their  leaves early and they can make a lot of noise for the caller to overcome. But they can also be a blessing, you can make a closer aproach to bedding areas undetected because of this constant noise.

Cold, get your fanny moving because they are. They need more calories in order to stay warm. If they are moving , they can definately be called. I sit longer on such setups as well . Especially if I know this is hte best setup in the area as far as aproach lanes to the call . 30 minutes , then move to the next travel lane in the area and work it. Jimmie

THO Game Calls

Some of my favorite times to hunt are during a soft slow rain in the fall. The woods are quiet and the tree cover keeps te rain from soaking you.  I can move from point to point and set up closer in the woods.  It also has a tendancy to keep your scent down.  When it rains, I move to where I know they holed up and I usually call softly from close by.  My favorite sounds to use in the rain are hurt pup squeals and wimpers. 

A soft steady snow with no wind is another good time for me.  I can get in quiet and get close.  Again, soft sounds, pup whimpers, kitten distress all seem to produce well for me. 

My all time favorite time to hunt is right after a good snow fall.  If it has been coming down good for at least 24 hours, or we have had a good nor easter, right after it breaks is the time to be in the woods.  It doesn't matter if the front moves out at 8 am or 2 pm, the minute that front breaks, that is the best time for me to be in the woods.   I will blow loud aggressive sounds then.  Doe distress and fawn bleats seem to work very well.  I have also had good luck with a good raspy cottontail or snow shoe hare distress after a good snow, but the deer sounds work the best for me.   The best set ups for me at these times are creek bottoms, especially ones where the water never freezes and leeps the banks just a bit clearer of snow than the surrounding areas.  The trails are covered then, so I give them the easiest route to my sounds. Normally, right after the front moves out, they don't waste any time getting tot he call.  If the front moves out at night though, then I give them more time.  They seem to get up and hunt the moment the front breaks.  So if it has been a few hours, they might not come in so fast.

When it is bone chilling cold, is another very productive time for me.  Just as the sun comee up, and the air is dead still. they will come.  The thing to keep in mind in this weather is that sound really travels farther when the air is dead still and cold.  Not only the sound of the call, but the sound of your approach too.  I hate walking on cruncny snow and the snow mobile triails are too much in the open.  It's tough to get around but it can be done.  Just about anything will work as a souond whne it has been really cold for a week or two.  They seem to come in fast.   The only time this doesn't work is during February when we get a week of really cold temps from the middle to the end of the month.  Tough to get them to respond to much at that time of year.   

I have never had great luck just before a front moves in though.  I do see more deer, and more other game, but I think it is just business as usuall for the coyotes.   For me, these times are just about like any other time. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Jimmie in Ky

Another thing about weather fronts, get out right after they pass. This will give you the oportunity to see how much , where they travel , and how they hunt. This is the time for doing some serious scouting. If it is rain , all previous sign is gone and there will be little confusion as to where they are going or where they have been. A fresh snow fall can show you tracks and a lot more such as those fence crossings you hadn't noticed before. By road hopping you can find areas they enter and do not leave. Or even see them in thier travels sometimes since they stand out against the white backround. Jimmie

Pilgrim

I concur with THO about hunting right before a weather front coming through - It seems that I don't do well (night hunting) during those times.

blakcoyote

Like most here,when it rains I stay home.
When it's windy,I head to the thick stuff,like small pockets of swamp thats surrounded by hardwods and most times ridges.Basically,lowland thats protected by the wind.
Before the fronts,it's so,so.But after a front,especially snow,things seem to kick in,and I head to the more open areas,if the winds are nill,or below 10-15mph.When it's real cold,below 0,and no wind,I like calling big open areas,that are surrounded by woods and its better if there bordered by a swamp or lowland area,the sound really carries in the deep freeze.I'll also head for the swamps,when the cold hits,especially if that swamp has a small pond or slough area,that gives you a good open area that you can call them across.I have many such areas up here around me,and it makes for some nice callin'.