• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

WTF!?

Started by nastygunz, February 27, 2009, 08:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Gee not only will they tax you on your mileage but oh..whoops!......THEYLL BE ABLE TO TRACK YOU EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!!!.....take away their guns....track all the citizens wherever they go.......hmmmm...Big Brother really is watching  :shck:
--------------------------------------

Obama Administration Proposes Substituting Federal Gas Tax with New Model Based On Miles Driven
Submitted by Julie on February 20, 2009 - 11:58am. Autos Business Business & Technology Consumer News Industry News News Politics U.S. Government U.S. Politics White House
Perhaps the Republicans were right - a Democrat in office does in fact mean bigger government along with unnecessary intrusion into the lives of American citizens. Funnily enough a Republican member of President Barack Obama's administration is now proposing a new kind of tax that is not likely to go over well with anyone that owns a vehicle. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said on Friday that he backs a plan to tax motorists based on how many mles they drive rather than the ages old standard method of taxing gasoline based on usage.

FinsnFur

How in the hell would they monitor that?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

How it would work
ODOT conducted the pilot project with help from engineers from Oregon State University. The system requires vehicles to be equipped with GPS devices and for service station pumps to have electronic reading devices to collect mileage data from the vehicles.

The pump reading devices first determine electronically whether a vehicle is equipped to pay a mileage-based fee. If not, the normal gas tax is applied to the transaction. For vehicles with a GPS device, a mileage fee would be added to the cost, and the gas tax would be deducted.

ODOT has concluded that it would be too difficult and expensive to retrofit existing vehicles to pay a mileage-based fee, so the new system would apply only to new vehicles with the necessary GPS devices. Whitty said that means it would take 20 years or more to phase in a new system completely.

FinsnFur

Sounds ridiculous. But also sounds like my twin late 70's Ford 1/2 tons, would be safe  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

This is what happens when you buy a hybrid. now they can't sell as much gas so they will tax you another way. This is all a lose-lose situation for the consumer. And GPS has been on vehicles since 2001.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

[/glow][/b] Change is coming  :argh:

msmith

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 27, 2009, 10:38:50 PM
Sounds ridiculous. But also sounds like my twin late 70's Ford 1/2 tons, would be safe  :biggrin:

LOL. I figger when you drive them, you're paying your share of fuel taxes. But I'm envious. I've always wanted a 78 or 79 F-250 four wheel drive. I learned to drive on a 79 F-250 and a 75 F-250 highboy.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Bopeye

:roflmao: :roflmao: What are they gonna do next? I think I'm going in the back to make a tinfoil hat so they can't read my intentions.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free