• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first call !!!

Started by duckslayer, February 28, 2009, 11:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckslayer

Here is my first call I have ever made.  Just wanted to know what things I need to work on to get better.  Thanks guys and thanks for helping people like me out that are just starting into this.

" And have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heavens, and all animals that move upon the earth." Gen 1:28
" He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.  Therefore it is said, even as NIMROD the mighty hunter before the Lord." Gen 10:

FinsnFur

Your first call.

I see one of two things.
1- Either you are so full of shit your eyes are brown, or 2- you have got some serious unleashed talent.

Going with the latter,  :wink: I am very interested.

Welcome to the site by the way, you've done an awesome job on that and cant wait to see what else you come up with. :congrats:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

msmith

Yeah, what Jim said. That call is sweet.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

alscalls

Ya done good and you are on the right track........
Two things for you to think about that I struggled with my self.......I think will help you.
Sharpen your tools....even if they are new looks like ya had to sand on that a lot.......been there. :wink:
When you are doing your final turn tilt the tool so the polished edge is rubbing the tool with out cutting then lean the tool into the cut slowly till you just see a little bit of fine dust coming off it. The smooth part of your tool should be still rubbing behind the cut for a real smooth finish that requires very little sanding. This works well with a gouge cause it has a large smooth surface on it.
And when your done you may still have small checks in the wood that is just the nature of the wood and not chatter from the tool.......You need to make a choice here to leave them as part of the natural wood or fill them and sand.
Dont just try and sand them out. A filler must be used first for a constant finish. If you try and sand them out you will have some small ones here and there and some smooth spots for an inconstant look to the finish. And you may sand too far removing some of the sharp edges you intended to keep. CA Glue is one of many ways to fill these tiny grooves in the grain.
I hope this helps, and Like I said you are really on the right track....... :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hawks Feather

Nice looking piece of Cocobolo and I like what you did with it.  One of the best "first" calls I have seen

Jerry

wvhillbillyhowler

fin looking call man make more make more :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: go go man go :congrats:

Todd Rahm

Not bad at all for your first call Mr. Slayer.  :wink:

coyotehunter_1

Let me guess... turkey call right?  :laf:

Indeed... Not bad at all.  :yoyo: :highclap:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

Jimmie in Ky

Like AL the only thing I can see is the sanding problem. Try wet sanding with an oil to fill those little skips th tools make to help finish smoother. Jimmie

Frogman

Looks like a really nice first effort.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

duckslayer

First I would like to say Thank You for all of the postings.  But yes my eyes are brown but it is really my first call.  And thanks Al and Jimmie about the sanding thing.  I saw that but was not sure what to do or if there was anything that you could do.  But I am working on my duck call now, I am going to make a sigle reed and then a double reed.  I will post as I get them done but I really appreciate all the comments.  I learned a lot from all the other post on this site so I have to say Thank You.
" And have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heavens, and all animals that move upon the earth." Gen 1:28
" He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.  Therefore it is said, even as NIMROD the mighty hunter before the Lord." Gen 10:

duckslayer

I just finished my call that I am going to be using for duck hunting.  I am still trying to understand this sanding thing because I can cant get it totaly smooth yet but I will keep working on it.  But my new call is the one on the left.

Bills Custom Calls

Coco is some awesome looking wood ya just never know what it has to offer

Here is a lil trick I learned on sanding coco
I start sanding with 60 grit and go all to way to 400 grit then use 0000 steel wool ( not everyone does it this way)

Once I get to 150 grit I wipe the call down with alcohol getting it very wet and let it spin dry,Completly.
before sanding and do that between each step.I think it has helped me out alot.

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

alscalls

I love the shape of that one... :yoyo: :yoyo:......try putting a coat of super glue on it and wiping it off real quick.....do this over and over until the call is smoothe.....letting it dry in between coats.....CA Finish....
http://www.finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=4910.0 Try this thread it helped me a bunch.... :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

msmith

I like the shape of that one too.

I like to finish like Bill does. Although I haven't finished too many calls, on the muzzleloaders and other gunstocks I have finished, I have done this way. The alcohol raises the grain.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

duckslayer

Well I ran out of coco so I decided to try something new.  I ordered some maple so I decided to try that.  First thing I realized was how light the wood was compaired to coco which made it different to work with then the coco.  But I did the best I could and this is what I came up with.

Hidehunter

It looks awesome...Maple is still one of my favorites   :yoyo:
Denver                                           

Jimmie in Ky

Getting bettewr with each one. Have you tried the wet sand with tung or linseed oil yet. This will fill those tiny imperfections. Jimmie

iahntr

That's what I was gonna say too Jimmie.
I use Teak oil a lot, and I'll wet sand with that.
Some cocobolo has more and/or bigger "pits"
in the grain then others. The CA finish works good too.
Good lookin calls, keep it up.  :thumb2:
Scott
Scott