• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Moon Phases

Started by FinsnFur, December 09, 2006, 07:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Anybody use the Moon phases to thier advantage?
Besides night hunting on a full moon because of the added light, what do the different phases mean, and how does it effect hunting?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jrbhunter

Besides night hunting on a full moon because of the added light...

I do NOT hunt under a big moon.... because of the added light.

keekee

I look at the moon phase ever time I go out. I like the dark of the moon the best, game animals seem to move more during the day light hrs. During a full moon the game animals seem to move more at night and less during the day. But the mid day movement seems to pick up.

But by working, I haft to go hunting when I got the time. So, I hunt when ever I can.

For night hunting its about the same. I like the dark of the moon, so there is less light for them to pick me up. But, some states you cant use a light, so with a full moon and snow cover you can see enough to call with out a light.

Brent

stevecriner

Jim ,you know how touchy this subject is for me!lol   

Jim,you do remember this inside joke? dont you?
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

FinsnFur

How could I forget it....?? I still have nightmares  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jimmie in Ky

When we were allowed to hunt at night we had to use the moon phases because the use of lights was illegal. There were only five good nights to hunt during the moon phases, the two days either side of the full moon and the night of the full moon were it.

Just like daylight hunting you have to learn to use what you have, and the light can be used to your advantage. Heck yes it is bright out there and lights show up as strange to a coyote. But it also creates shadows that help us to fool the coyote's eyes. Light must be left at home and your howler put to use as strictly a locating tool only.You also need very good knowledge of your calling area, this is not a time to go in cold. You have to know where the better setups may be in relation to animal position and winds at the time.

Use the howler to locate then move as quick as possible to a calling position. Use the largest and deepest shadow you can find for setup. They can't see under there until very close. I prefered such places to be in an open field or fencerow. I used these tactics to take more multiples on stand than I ever did daylight calling. Jimmie

Jrbhunter

Yes if you cannot use lights then full moons are the greatest (and only real) chance to hunt.... if you can use lights you'll soon find those big moons to be the worst hunting conditions unless broken by dense cloud cover.   More light- bad, less light- good.  Weather you're talking moon, ambient lights or the rheostate settings on your rifle... more light- bad.

Jimmie in Ky

If your bound and determined to close your mind to other possibilties that is your choice. But learning another set of tactics to keep you working all nights possible just makes good sense to me.

And keep your mind open to working the midday hours during this part of the moons travels as well. Many animals move during the midday hours at this time. Coyotes are no diferent. Keep an eye on the farmers livestockand what they are doing. If thye are up and about it is likely other animals are moving as well. I have seen many a cow bedded half the morning during the full moon and had some of the worst mornings up until around ten am or so. Jimmie

Jrbhunter

No closed mind here, just a lot of hours in the field getting busted by moonlight coyotes.  Been hunting all week under a big moon- just like every week before for the past 5 months.  I'm telling you the facts based on many many consecutive nights in the field that I have experienced personally... and the same thoughts are shared by many veteran night hunters.  More light- bad.

Coyotes can be called up under full moons and clear skies but getting them to commit and offer a shot without busting you is much more difficult than on dark nights.  Lights are not used on all of my stands, in fact I have spent quite a bit of money on top end night vision just to leave lights in the truck when we can.  I've never heard anyone say they prefer to hunt under a big moon, unless they were unable to hunt dark nights (due to laws or equipment).

stevecriner

How long you been at it JRB. Hunting at night. Sounds like to me you do it alot?

Hunters Specialties

Jrbhunter

I'm sorry I wasn't here to take your bait sooner Steve, I was out hunting coyotes from 6p.m. til' 5:45a.m. with a good friend.   We called up a couple, got some good footage so I think we'll start advertising a DVD soon.   COMING SOON- right after I film it.  :nono: :roflmao: 

Night hunting is pretty tough in my area because of the tight cover, it was always unproductive for me until a few years ago when I started hunting with some experienced guys from across the state who had the time/experience/equipmen/knowledge to do it right.  They taught me a lot and showed me many of my midnight tactics (and equipment) were costing me coyotes, also traveling to other regions of the state helped considerably with my success as I was able to watch coyotes work a call for some distance rather than my 50 yard jumpshots.

This year I have switched over from calling for shooters to calling & shooting myself at night with the purchase of a new light force.   This has helped our kill versus call percentage considerably, as running the light/gun/call narrows down the room for confusion amongst multiple people.  Now I'm working with a night vision scope mounted on a new AR, which cuts out one more step in the process... running a rheostat.  As we narrow down these issues and work around the problems, coyotes become easier to manipulate in nighttime conditions.

As Jimmie mentioned, darkness is a great place to take multiple coyotes.  Last year we took 3 night time doubles and 9 daytime doubles... in the last month I've scored 3 night time doubles already!  They seem more skiddish this year than ever before, day or night... nights seem more productive at the moment so I'm spending a lot of my energy there.

I guess to answer your question franky Steve, this will be my 7th year of night time calling.  A decieving number because we didn't know jack squat for the first three... just shining and calling with little success.  But, by all rights, we were calling... making a handful of stands each month similar to what Jimmie described.  Tomorrow night I'm hunting with my old calling partner from high school, our first stands were done with 2 layers of pink celephane over a Qbeam and now we're using GEN3 NV on assault rifles.  Oh how things change... right Steve?

stevecriner

Your right JRB. I wasnt very productive the first stages of my calling history either. Things do change thank the lord. Or i would be stuck.. Anyway just wondering,ive been intrested about night hunting we just cant very much due to not being able to use lights. So i just dont do it. No bait there. I knew you night hunted alot.  And your also right my video is coming soon right after i film it. Unless i find some coyotes shittin and pissin on there self! Damn sure cant call in that kind.
your friend ,steve

Hunters Specialties

Jrbhunter

We have a few mutual friends that are excellent night hunters... I'd suggest hitting them up for info.  That's what I do.   I don't know about MO laws but if lights are illegal you may consider night vision- if that's illegal I'd be leary of even calling at night for fear of screwing up a bunch of my good daytime stands getting busted by moonlight coyotes.

I was once of the mindset that my coyotes couldn't be killed at night, now I've been convinced they can- but not consistantly.   Just like daytime calling- terrain makes the difference.   Fortunately I found knowledgable guys willing to help me and have the opportunity to hunt across the entire state in some very different settings that are more applicable to night stands.   Like many other sports, I've found the more you put into it; the more you get out of it.  Time, energy, money... for a bunch of $5 coyotes! LOL!

blakcoyote

Here in WI,lights were prohibited for coyotes up until last year.So my nite time hunting was restricted to fullmoon over snow.I've found that I got alot more talkers,and alot less takers at night.But found more action during mid afternoon,up until dark,during the fullmoon.

onecoyote

I've been swinging lights for a long time. For me the new moon, first and last quarters usually gets the most action. I have also noticed in years past, If you have alot of moon and it goes down, usually about an hour after that happens the action starts.
Spent many a lonesome night under a full  or bright moon with little or no action. It's my experience full moons or bright moons don't seem to bother cats much, but it does bother the coyotes.

FinsnFur

I agree, and most of the full moon hunting up here is simply stalking woodlines and  watching the open snow covered pastures and open fields. No calling.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers