• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Some folks just don't get it

Started by Bills Custom Calls, April 02, 2009, 04:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

2 years ago a coworker came to me and started asking about coyote hunting
He tells me his mom owns a farm and there are coyotes there and throughout the  1,000 acres of old strip mines that boarders their farm.
Everytime I asked him when are we going hunting he always had an excuse
Today asks me what would attack mom's german shepard dog? The dog came home with his throat almost tore apart.
You can see puncture marks,and you can tell he been fighting with something

My reply
When do you want to go coyote hunting?They have attacked the dog once and next time he probably won't come home  :rolleye:

He his ready to go anytime now anytime I can go he is willing
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

msmith

I worked with a guy that had his own cliche' "people are stupid" I reckon that just about sums it up. Sometimes it takes an event like this for some people to get it...sometimes they just never will. Sounds llike this guy is  learnin' from the experience.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

alscalls

Go for it Bill this may be the one........ :eyebrow:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Silencer

ask him if they build meat at the market... :laf:

FinsnFur

build meat at the market

ROFLMAO!! :roflmao: :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nor-cal yote

I have people ask me to trap them and move them somewhere else but not to hurt the coyotes, I tell them "I only kill coyotes I don't move them"
never yell whoa in a horse race

possumal

Nothing people say surprises me much when it come to coyotes.  I have one farm where I hunt and they lost over 40 calves to coyotes before I finally convinced them that was what was happening to them.  Another farmer lost 17 kid goats out of a herd of 22 before he asked for help.  Then when the yotes started packing up and taking down big calves and pulling the half born calves right out of the cow while she was calving, they finally started to listen.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

pitw

Quote from: possumal on April 02, 2009, 07:24:58 PM
Nothing people say surprises me much when it come to coyotes.  I have one farm where I hunt and they lost over 40 calves to coyotes before I finally convinced them that was what was happening to them.  Another farmer lost 17 kid goats out of a herd of 22 before he asked for help.  Then when the yotes started packing up and taking down big calves and pulling the half born calves right out of the cow while she was calving, they finally started to listen.

You must have a lots and lots  of big hungry coyotes there as I have been i ranch country [grew up with 450 cows to calf] for 51 years and my father only 83 and we've never seen anything like that.  Sheep and goats yes but healthy calves very seldom.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Jimmie in Ky

Tales like Al's are what make me believe therre may be something to the wolf blood or dog blood in them. I occasionally see them pack up down here. Or at least work as a team of three or so. They can be very effective killers when they do that.Jimmie

alscalls

I have never seen a single dog attack cattle, goats etc. but several dogs together attacking livestock is commonplace around here.....I get calls complaining about it all the time......sometimes when I get there to investigate it will be house dogs that have done the deed. But ya gotta keep looking cause coyotes will visit the same spot where a house dog has been and dogs will likewise visit where a coyote has been.....So proving the culprit can be difficult at times. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

possumal

Its not too hard to find the guilty party when you catch them in the act like my grandson, Josh, did several weeks ago. 5 big coyotes doing all they could do to get the half born calf before the cow was even through having it.  He put a 39 grain Blitz King dead center in one of the yotes' shoulder and put a stop to that attempt.  The cow had the calf fine within the next 30 minutes.  I think it is quite likely those 5 coyotes would have been successful had Josh not showed up at first light.  The size of the coyotes in this area has grown considerably in the 17 years I have been hunting coyotes.  I killed one over 50 lbs. the first 5 years, but have killed 16 more over 50 lbs. in the next 12 years, including a 58 lb. male.  I believe their growth has been to enable them to match the task at hand, which is taking down bigger animals for food.  They have transformed country that was literally full of groundhogs and rabbits to the point that you seldom ever see a groundhog or rabbit anymore in the country.  They all live in the city limits, it seems.  I don't think wolves or large domestic dogs have crossed in any large numbers during this 12 year period.  There are more coyotes than ever with less small game for them to eat.  They are eating machines and killer machines all in one potent package, mixed in with a really advanced quanity of canine intelligence.  There is a farmer in Mercer County who owns about 600 acres with his grown son.  He was raising hell one day several years ago about some low life stealing one of his calves that was about ready to take to the stockyards.  My grandson, Josh, and I told him that nobody stole his calf, and we could show him where it was.  He followed us on his tractor to the spot on his back field where a bunch of coyotes had killed his calf, drug it about 100 yds down the farm road and under a gate, and then across the upper edge of a winding creek about 80 more yards to a small ground of locust trees located on a high spot, ate part of him, and no doubt had plans to come back for the remains.  He drug it with his tractor about 300 yds up through a pasture and staked it off about 150 yds from a double row of rolled bales on top of the hill on his son's farm.  This enabled me to slip in from his son's barn undetected, with a good view of the staked out calf.  I made trips down there 5 straight days late in the afternoon, and killed 5 of the guilty coyotes, 2 the first day, and 3 more singles on seperate days. All of these coyotes were full grown, able to live on their own under normal feed conditions.  In my opinion, coyotes this big have a need for more food to maintain themselves in cold weather, something that can be furnished by killing larger animals.  The animal biologists I have talked to say that an adult coyote is responsible for up to 5 deer kills per year.  If that is fact, and I can see it as being so, it is not hard to believe they would target big calves as a much easier source than wild deer.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jimmie in Ky

One of my first jobs taking care of calf killers for others was a group of three coyotes. I killed the leader of thayt group and it stopped. I was amazed at the size of calf they were taking down. Four to five hundred pound steers . They were taking two a week. I have also heard from landowners that witnessed the killing of cow and calf during birthing. While she is down she is vulnerable to attack. If you find the carcasse befoere it is eaten completely the signs of coyote attack are distinctly diferent from domestic dogs. Dogs don't smother the kill.

My experience with deer killers shows them to be taking two a week. Found way to many recent kills in those groups territories. And whole carcasses being devoured in less than forty eight hours. I mean completely devoured, right down to the small bones and rumen.Leaving very little to age the kill by. A jawbone here, a piece of skull there is all you find.Jimmie

Bills Custom Calls

Thanks fellers for your input here

I don't like to hear those kinda stories for the cattle,deer and the farmers sake,but there is some learning in that reading

wvhillbillyhowler

sounds like that dog got to close to the den :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: got his ass bit

weedwalker

A single coyote can do a lot of damage. Remember CCP's video of a coyote with only 3 legs taking down a calf by itself? :wo:

Bills Custom Calls

After a check up at the vet's.The vet confirmed what I said,but also added that the german shepard was more then likely the winner of this encounter,but he shouldn't get into another tangle like this until he heals up alot,probably won't survive

Silencer

QuoteA single coyote can do a lot of damage. Remember CCP's video of a coyote with only 3 legs taking down a calf by itself

Yes sir I do, that was some wild footage.