• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

hunting essay

Started by mandi48, April 17, 2009, 06:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandi48

Here's another essay i wrote...this one might be a little more interesting...This is the first paper i've gotten an A on without having to re-write it..i was pretty pumped  :biggrin:

I am not a murderer. My main objective isn't to strike down an unexpecting animal. I do not feel unaccomplished if I am not so lucky to bring in that trophy buck, the knowledge and experience is unlike anything in the world. The rush of hearing the sound of a mysterious animal walking behind, to the side, or right in front of you, is unexplainable. Being surrounded by nothing but trees, maybe a trickling stream, and complete silence is breath taking. This is a battle for food, not thrill killing. I am not a murderer I am a hunter.
Let me set the scene. It's roughly 4:30 on a Saturday morning. I'm on my way to my secret hunting spot with Henry, my hunting partner. About 15 minutes from departing, I arrive. I step out of the truck and douse myself with Scent Killer earth scent spray. I put my camouflage hat on, equipped with a light on my head to lead my way to my stand. I'm at my stand. I sit down and carefully lay my .35 Remington lever action rifle across my legs. I wait. To the right of me I hear something. It sounds close and it sounds big. A big rush of adrenaline comes over me. I ever so slightly turn my head to determine the cause of the noise. About 3 feet from me, is a squirrel. Damn. I wait again. This time the noise comes behind. I'm frozen. Cautiously I start to turn my body. Out of nowhere an ear piercing, high-pitched screech is in the air. The deer acknowledged my presence. Henry and I both knew that any deer relatively close were just warned that danger was near, so we call it a day and head home. What most people don't realize is that deer are actually very intelligent animals. Also most of the time when a hunter sets out to hopefully harvest that trophy buck, more often than not, they fail.
Some people, or anti-hunters for a better name, believe that hunters are the cause for extinction of some animals. The reality is that no North American animal has ever become extinct because of hunting. Hunters aren't the heartless animals killers that people believe. Did it ever occur to you that if there were no hunters, animals would over populate causing a food and space shortage for them to live, which would later lead to starvation and a painful death? Also more people would be hitting these animals with their vehicles, making it unsafe for everyday travel. I personally would rather shoot a deer have it suffer little to no pain, rather than hit a deer with my car and stand there watching it, sometimes, suffer for an excruciating amount of time. People who believe I am evil for wanting to take the life of an animal, that they believe is incapable of evil itself, get serious. Are you aware that your "non-evil" animals kill others of their species for something as stupid as mating rights? Animals eat other animals, that's the way nature works.
I've found that most of the people, who have a strong dislike for hunting, have never experienced it or anything close to it.  How can you truly hate something without first trying it? Hunters in the United States generate more than one million jobs. With our economy being the way it is, how can hunters still be looked down on f we're actually helping? Hunters also spend more money, time, and effort on wildlife conservation that any other group in society, yeah that includes PETA. Why am I, and fellow hunters considered evil, even after paying $4 million every day to conservation?
I do not expect you to understand why I hunt, because I know anyone can't without doing it. I am not trying to prove to you that my actions are justified, because in the end, I'm still going to hunt. So go ahead and call me a "dumb redneck," but don't criticize the sport of hunting if you've never tried it. With that being said, I'll end with this, I don't go around criticizing your way of life, so don't criticize mine.
I am not a murderer, i am a hunter

Hawks Feather

Mandi,

Nice work.  I can see why you got (and deserved) an A.

Jerry

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

mandi48

vvarmitr

Very well done Mandi, ya redneck! :laf:

I like those 35Rem' leverguns too. ;yes;

mandi48

Quote from: vvarmitr on April 17, 2009, 09:55:43 AM
Very well done Mandi, ya redneck! :laf:

I like those 35Rem' leverguns too. ;yes;

:laf: thanks, i don't use that gun anymore though, but  it was pretty awesome, i liked the sound the lever made!  :laf:

Okanagan

Good work!  It deserves a good grade.  You write well, in complete sentences, expressing clear thoughts, and have a nice rhythm of short and long sentences.  That kind of writing is always in demand, useful in many walks of life.  Your logic and sequence is good, could use a little tightening, but very good for a 17 year old writer.  Good for you!

mandi48

Quote from: Okanagan on April 17, 2009, 11:30:03 AM
Good work!  It deserves a good grade.  You write well, in complete sentences, expressing clear thoughts, and have a nice rhythm of short and long sentences.  That kind of writing is always in demand, useful in many walks of life.  Your logic and sequence is good, could use a little tightening, but very good for a 17 year old writer.  Good for you!

thankl you, this is probably the best i've ever written  ;yes;

nastygunz

Dandi, Mandi,
                    hehe lil werd play there....so hey i thought that was damn good...do you read the NH Hawkeye?....if so I am betting youve read a few of my columns :wink:....BUT...id like to suggest you should send that in to see if you can get it published...and they pay!!!!....Ill pm you contact info of the publisher if you like!! :yoyo:

p.s. I pmed you the info anyways im a man of action....if you sell the article youll be a celebrity!

mandi48

Quote from: nastygunz on April 17, 2009, 05:42:39 PM
Dandi, Mandi,
                    hehe lil werd play there....so hey i thought that was damn good...do you read the NH Hawkeye?....if so I am betting youve read a few of my columns :wink:....BUT...id like to suggest you should send that in to see if you can get it published...and they pay!!!!....Ill pm you contact info of the publisher if you like!! :yoyo:

p.s. I pmed you the info anyways im a man of action....if you sell the article youll be a celebrity!

I am very interested in that, but i didn't get your PM try sending the info to my email address... mandinorway@yahoo.com

nastygunz

DONE, YOUR MANDINESS  :yoyo:

mandi48

Thank you  :biggrin: i submitted it, now i guess we wait and see what happens.. :yoyo:

nastygunz

AS YOUR LITERARY AGENT MY FEE IS........... :biggrin:......ACCORDING TO OUR CONTRACT.. :readthis:.......... :madd:...WHAT...NO CONTRACT?....... :shrug:...GAWD IM DUMB.... :highclap:

mandi48

haha..i guess i forgot to get around to signing that contract...whoops  :hahaha:  :laf:

nastygunz

Ill have to have my cousin vinny knuckles visit you......or the D-Town Stunna  :shck: :whew: :innocentwhistle:

mandi48

Quote from: nastygunz on April 19, 2009, 12:34:06 AM
Ill have to have my cousin vinny knuckles visit you......or the D-Town Stunna  :shck: :whew: :innocentwhistle:
:hahaha:  :roflmao:

nastygunz

YOUR SPOSED TO SAY "WHOSE THE D-TOWN STUNNA? "

mandi48

Quote from: nastygunz on April 19, 2009, 10:07:48 PM
YOUR SPOSED TO SAY "WHOSE THE D-TOWN STUNNA? "

ohh silly kme..whose the D-TOWN STUNNA!?  :confused:

bowtech611

Good morning  kido.
I too want to tell you that you did a GREAT! job on your essay. I didnt see nor does it matter to me what it got for a grade( though I hope it was good).  What matters to me is that you wrote it.

I have got to tell you that I am very proud of you and the attitude that you have toward hunting and the outdoors in general. It is not to often that someone gets introduced to the world of hunting at your age and has the season that you had last yr( very unsuccessful) and comes out of that season with the attitude and anxiousness to go again that you have , let alone write an essay about it.  Far to many people out there hunt for the sake of killing and I am very happy and very proud to read those words in your essay.
I would be very surprised if that didnt find its way into hawkeye. And if it dont then it dont. You have it and you always will and you can be very proud of the fact that you wrote it.

So just so you know,( for what ever it means to you if anything) I am very proud of you  as a person, as a new comer to the world of hunting, as a friend, and will be very proud to have you as my hunting partner. Though things are a bit screwy right now( and you and I know what I am talking about) it will get better by deer season. So hang in there kido it will all come out in the wash.

Love Ya kido

Henry
Take a deep breath, aim and squeeze , then watch the arrow find its mark.