• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Calling sequences

Started by FinsnFur, December 17, 2006, 12:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Since most of the calling I do in my area is late season January thru March...I like to always start my stands with a couple lone howls.
Wait 5 to 8 minutes, and then go into the distress sounds.
Usually 30 seconds of distress, kill it for for 2 to 3 minutes and then back into the distress.

I like to continue that for 45 minutes before deciding to leave if there's no results.

Let's hear what some of you have used and found successful  sequences.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Smith

I use almost all howls from late Jan to March. I stay for no more than 25 minutes at my stands. I will use some distress but not much. I have had numerous coyotes just give me a glance while using distress during our breeding season, but give a invitation howl or calls along them lines, they start responding 10 fold. I am No master caller by no means but it has worked out real well for me the last few years, about the time when Brad H showed me how to use a howler :biggrin:.
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

THO Game Calls

We do a mix of both electronic and hand calls.  When usining electronics, we start almost all of our stands with a howl or two and then go to a distress.  We let the distress just wear out the batteries on the e caller until we are sure nothing is coming in and it's time to leave.

When using hand calls and hunting with a partner,  I like to call as much non stop as I can with only short breaks between.  It's the other guys job to see and shoot the coyote.  I try to keep the coyote focused on the sound by not letting up and really giving it a sense of urgency.

When by myself, I will blow for about a minute and wait for 2 or three or until I can't take it anymore and just have to blow the thing again.  For me, hunting with hand calls is as much about  blowing them as it is about actually shooting in coyotes LOL.

You know how it is.  You start wailing on a hand call, you get the birds and the squirrels all worked up and the woods just come alive with sounds -  - hard to stop when that gets going LOL.
Your own little nature symphony and you get to be the conductor.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

The only time we wont start a stand now with howls is when we are hunting habbitat that might hold fox or bobcats.  Then we just use distress sounds.
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

zapper223

I've had good luck . Opening with a couple howls , then go into pup whines . During this time of year. If I get a response to my howls , I'll try to duplicate what I hear. It can really get 'em stirred up at times. Challenge howls can also get their dander up .

zapper223
It was so windy, the hen layed the same egg five times !!!

FinsnFur

Welcome to the site, Zapper  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jimmie in Ky

I use all distress sound most of the time. It's rare that I will open with a howl and mostly do that after the cat and furbearer seasons close. But I start with four or five notes and then wait for about a minute and do it again. Wait two minutes and repeat the sequence. I even use this same sequence with canine distress sounds when after coyote. Jimmie

CCP

I also use mainly distress sounds I have not had any luck with the howling. After around the 15 min mark I bark a little.

I start out long 15 to 30 second distress and  repeat around every 45sec to a min when using hand calls.

Electronic callers I will stop it every min or so for 30 sec. When using electronic callers I basically  stop it so I can hear what is around me. As far as volume goes wide open is good for me. I have had them 2 feet from a caller at full blast and have had them on me in 30 seconds after starting on full blast.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Arkyyoter

I am certainly no expert, and humbly bow to those of you out there who are, but this is my routine.....

I almost always start with a very low volume, very high pitched distress sound ( very "Whiney" and nasal)...this first sequence lasts about 30 - 45 seconds....I then pause for about that long and do it again. If that doesn't work, I begin to slowly increase volume as well as call much more aggressively/urgently, increasing the rapidity of the pace and being more staccato/raspy/gutteral....I continue this off and on for about 15 minutes, with a few brief pauses.

The last five minutes or so of the stand, I use pup distress, and maybe a few kiyi's. In mating season, I add a few female invitation howls...if challenged, I simply mock whatever sounds the challenger makes, bark for bark. I must confess, I am NOT a howler guy....other than a few with female invitation, I have much more success with distress and pup sounds.....

I generally do not stay on a stand over about 20 minutes, sometimes 30.

Joe

Jerry Hunsley

The sequences I use are start out with a lone howl followed by a yip howl. No answer after 5minutes or so, go to rabbit distress. I might add , sometimes those coyotes answer immediately when I howl. Then it may  be as much as ten minutes before I get one to answer. I always start out with a howl, that's how I do it , regardless what time of year it is. I have good luck doing that , so why should I change. The other sequence I use is just the hurt pup especially if I know there are coyotes in close proximity. No need to do anything else. I hear guys say they just use howls during late season around mating time, but I really think they are not taking full advantage of howling year round. Just my thoughts.

Jimmie in Ky

Any body else noticing a pattern here?

I am seeing others besides myself using canine distress as well as prey sounds. They take some practice with mouth calls but well worth learning. And I think a valuable tool to have in your arsenal when they just don't seem to be working anything else. Jimmie

Greenside

Jerry   That's an "Old School" approach to calling coyote, but it sure does work! :wink: I use pup distress at times but I'm  not a big fan of it post shuffle.

zapper223

Thanks for the welcome, Finsandfur.
                                    Much Appreciated,
                                        zapper223   :eyebrownod:
It was so windy, the hen layed the same egg five times !!!

keekee

My calling is allot diffrent than most. My calling is not set in stone at all, and I call very diverse. I go more off gut feeling than anything any more. Allot of my style has to do with the area I am calling and what I know about the area.

I use allot of Coyote vocals in my calling, and Allot of pup wines and cries and pup distress as well. There are very few stands that go by that I do not blow pup sounds and pup distress, very few.

I stay away from aggressive howls unless its in the denning season or I'm working a pissed off coyote that is vocal and aggressive.

When I set down to make a stand I have a good idea of what sounds I will use, I'm not afraid to change sounds or mix sounds, I do it allot.

I start my stands off with howls allot, or If I want distress first I start soft, with a bird distress, then go from there to a little louder bird distress, then I may blow a jack sound to gain some distance, or cottontail sounds. I also use allot of fawn distress or what I call death cries.

I put a ton of emotion in my calling, and my series aways seem to differ. Bird distress is high on my list, its just something that is not blew by every caller or not your normal rabbit sounds. When I blow rabbit sounds they are very intense and change pitch allot,  lots of waver, cries, and emotion. To me its the emotion and desperate sound in the calling that triggers the responce or instinct of a predator. (Just a note.....I checked the stomach of every coyote I called and shot for two years, everyone of there stomach's were at least half full)

So for me, I direct my calling to prey on there emotions, and instinct more than just a food sound, even curiosity plays a roll in my calling. I do a monkey screwing a chicken sound on some stands.....lol

On my calling I put out allot of sound, sometimes allot of diffrent sounds. Mixing my distress and howls sometimes just howling alone or with pup distress. I break just long enough to get my breath, or take a break to listen for a predator on the approach when using distress sounds, with howling it differnt.

When using the FoxPro, I let the caller run. I just change the volume when needed. I do start off low and then go up as needed. And I will change sounds on the caller as well, or shut it off and howl then start it back up.

I like allot of sound I want to keep the predators attention and not let it get side tracked on something else.

My stand lenght runs a average of 15-20 min. I may spend 45 min on a stand if I really like it or know there are coyotes there.

Brent

yotehunter1

Can you send me some tips on coyote hunting I am going next weekend but im going to get down there about 10 am to 4 pm . Is this a bad time to call coyotes with a distress call, i am using the critr call standard model. It is a 180 acre farm in central kentucky with heavy timber. And  also can you tell me what sound I would perhaps have the move luck at.

Thank you,

Tyler Joyner

vvarmitr

Quote from: keekee on December 19, 2006, 10:47:08 PMmonkey screwing a chicken sound

Do you have a sound byte for that Brent.  :roflmao: Where did you learn this sound? :huh:

FinsnFur

yotehunter1, welcome to the site.
I think you'll find a lot of good starter information by using the links provided in our Predator Primers area at the top of this forum.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

centerfire_223

Do you have a sound byte for that Brent.  :roflmao: Where did you learn this sound? :huh:

He recorded it live, remember he has JD.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

vvarmitr

^^^^ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

keekee

No sound bite for that one. I will tell you the story behind that sound....lol

Well, JD was off on one of his breaks, no......LOL

I built Tyler Higgins a new call, several years back and he came up with the sound just by playing around with the call making diffrent distress sounds. I don't know who named it but it was sure as hell funny and the name fits very well....lol

But I will tell you this, it calls criters! I have video of it callen criters, and Tyler and Rich use the sound as well. some secrets you just keep in your bag of tricks....lol

Brent

Rich Higgins

I videoed a hunt with Tom Bechdal in Pa a few years ago and was amazed that he used the same calls and made the same sounds that I did in Az. The next year I videoed a hunt with KeeKee in Oh. and Ky. and was amazed that Brent used the same calls, sequences and sounds that I did 2000 miles away. I used more vocalizations than those two gentlemen did at that time but the distress was pretty much the same.The three of us had independantly developed and refined a system over the years that was almost identical.
When Brent sent Tyler a dandy new call, Tyler simply added some hysterical monkey sounds to a standard chicken distress. When I first heard him do that on stand as a curiosity draw, it cracked me up. I told him it sounded like a monkey screwing a chicken and the name stuck. Tyler used it as a primary sound during the freestyle at the Az Calling championships this last year and took 3rd overall.