• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Caliber selection

Started by FinsnFur, December 20, 2006, 10:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

...for the Predator Primer list uptop

This is a common inevitable question I'd like to build a thread for.

What's the best caliber for coyote hunting?
My opinion...and there will be many opinions ...but there's a lot of variables here, is that if your looking to do some fur harvesting I would seriously consider anything smaller then a 243.
A 22-250 in my biased opinion is going to offer the flatest trajectory for the longest distance.

I've used 223, 243, 30-06, 17, and 22-250. Tailored with an appropriate reload recipe, anything could be used and still harvest good fur from.

For the new comers...what do you use and why?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

BigB

It is a 22-250 for me.  The decision for me pretty much came down to between a 223 and a 22-250.  The gun dealer told me that the 223 is a 300 yd gun, and the 22-250 is a 400+ yard gun.  They both cost about the same, so I went with the 22-250.  The 17 is a bit light for me on those windy days.  The 243 and larger will put em down, but will also make a pretty big hole in em.  My very first bobcat I took was with a 270 ten years ago, and the taxidermist really gave me a lecture about getting a smaller gun if he was going to do any more work for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

fuzz624

I to shoot a 22-250.It is a flat shooting round with plenty of bang flop capability.I also have a 243 and it is a great coyote round.If you are saving the hide,you will have to choose shots a little better.Try to shoot them faceing head on and there is no fur damage and a really nice bang flop.
    If i were going to buy a strictly coyote rifle,it would be a 22-250,220 Swift,or 223.I think that any of the hi velocity 22s will work fine.If you want a gun that can also be used for deer,i wound choose the 243.
    The biggest thing to remember is that,just because the gun is capable of killing a coyote at 400 yds,that doesnt mean the hunter is.Always try to practice shooting like it is a real hunting situation.For example,dont shoot off a bench or sandbag.If you wil be hunting with shooting sticks,then that is what you should practice with.Also,dont just practice shooting strait forward.Try to practice shooting in ackward positions.Coyotes rarely do what we think they should,so always be prepaired.Thease are just some things to think about and i hope it helps.

Fuzz

Jimmie in Ky

Rifle of choice is a 22-250. But I hunt a wide variety of places and can't always use the centerfires. The most important thing in selecting a weapon is that it fits you so that you can shoot it well under all conditions.Not all weapons are made the same and fit us all diferently. What may fit you very well won't fit me and my body build. Then choose a caliber or guage for the job. Jimmie

stevecriner

In my opinion the 268 winston mag is the best.
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

keekee

A 22-250 gets the call from the gun safe most of the time. I like the 250, it shoots great, flat, and the Savage handles very well. It does a fair job on the fur damage, just depends on your load. But 90% of the time its a bang flop. Not a good fox round with my loads. Out West this gun get the call for sure, just because its so flat shooting.

I also have a couple AR-15's in .223. Great little guns, shoot great and get the job done of coyotes very well. Very good little brush guns. Does a great job on the fur as well. Most of the time if the shot is placed well it bang flop. Does a good job on fox as well. There a little on the heavy side but do a good job all the way around!

One little gun I use some is the 22 Hornet. Great fox gun, and will get the job done on coyotes out to 100 yards. I would not take a shot any further than that with mine. Very little fur damage, and very good shooting rifle. I use this gun allot at night. One draw back to this gun is the shot placement has to be there.

Brent

THO Game Calls

Choosing a coyote rifle, or a predator rifle to be more exact, is, in my opinion, best based on where you hunt, what kind of cover you hunt,  what species of animals you are likley to encounter in a days hunt, and weather or not you plan on keeping the fur.

While a .243 is proably at the far end of the range of predator rifles, it is what I choose to hunt with when I carry a rifle.

My choise is based on the following:

Our coyotes can be a bit larger here in the north east,
there is a lot of heavy cover,
I don't want runners
I don't put up fur too much
we cannot take bobcats here so I don't have to worry about pelt damage on them,
A shot over 100 yards is rare
And since I know what it will do to a fox pelt, I know that when I carry it, I will have to let the fox  walk.

I think if you ask yourself similar questions when you choose a rifle for predator hunting, you will eliminate the "whats better 223 or 22-250" debate.

I agree with Jimmie 100%.  When you get a new gun, make sure it fits you, then take it to the range and sight it in on the sand bags.  Once you get it sighted in, put sand bags away and practice with it. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Arkyyoter

I shoot a RRA AR 15 in .223 if cats are a strong possibility in a given area....the rest of the time a .243 or a 25/06...

I shoot 55 VMax or a 60 grain Hornady SP in my .223....

I shoot 75 VMax in both .243 and in my 25s...

The reasons we choose the 243 and 25/06 is because we don't do fur...like Al said, no runners and because we tend to call very open areas where longer shots can be the norm....I have shot several over 200 yards and 5 well over 300 yards this year so far...the .243 and the 25/06 just seem to do a little better for me at those distances than the smaller calibers.

Joe

paint

lately ive been using an AR 223. i also have a 22-250 but rarely hunt anywhere i need it. when we hunt management area and its rimfire and shotgun only alot the time so we try to get them close and use a 22mag.

centerfire_223

Is a .17 WMR to small for coyotes?   :roflmao:  It's .223 and a 12 guage for me.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

vvarmitr

I'm in the 100yds & under percentile. I mostly carry a shotgun, 10/12ga.  I have a 218Bee levergun I carry too sometimes.
The problem I see w/ the high speed centerfires is sure ya got a tiny hole on one side & quite possibly a softball sized hole on the other. I been thinking if a person was to use a 30/30, 35Rem, or even the 45/70 w/ an LBT bullets w/ the flat meplat that you're going to have a (for example) a 35 caliber hole going in & a 36 or 37 caliber hole going out. Do ya call that fur damage? :confused:
I think another great caliber idea is the 300Whisper.  :eyebrow:  How about it Rich? :eyebrownod:

Ladobe

I'd venture to guess I have used just about eveything at one time or another over the years while doing ADC or sport calling.   Most on purpose, but some only because the opportunity presented itself while doing other types of hunting.    From the lowly 22LR through all of the 22 centerfires and most of the 17-7mm wildcats to any of several super magnums.   Most get the job done in the right situation, but some don't leave much to show for it.    I've never got around to using shotguns for predators somehow.   Instead I carry backup pistols with open sights for the in-your-face and super close running shots.   (Note to self: try shotguns sometime)

As suggested, comes down to the area being hunted, the main predator(s) sought in that area and whether you are after the pelts or not.   Short ranges, long ranges, wind, cover, ADC or sport, etc all have to be considered.   But generally, the 17 Remington, 17DT, 17 Athena, 17M4 class are about perfect for coyotes and bobcats when the winds are not too high, the 6X47, 6BR, 6PPC, 6.5SB when they are.   And it's hard to beat a 17 Ackley Hornet for fox, although the 22 Hornet also works well on them.   The 6's are great for lions too.

No doubt I killed a lot of coyotes with the 22 Varminter and 220 Swift in the wide open spaces of the west way back when I used them, and at ranges I normally wouldn't try with some of the others.   Fine rounds when the ranges are extra long, but way too much when you call em in close.

About 2-3 years ago I went back to traditional hunting for predator sport hunting (not for the ADC).   Mouth calls, no camo (rendezvous clothes) and using my two 36 caliber muzzle loaders for fox, kitties and coyotes.   Now that is fun!

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

CCP

QuoteI think another great caliber idea is the 300Whisper.  eyebrow  How about it Rich?

Just had to drag me into this vvarmitr :roflmao:

I have made many gun and caliber changes through the years. I believe the  terrain,area, setup,hunting style and personal feelings have allot to do with what we tote in the field. They will all kill coyotes," some do it faster than others"

I have used rim fires, 22-243, 6tcu's, 223's, 22-250,220swift,30-06's,6mm-06'S  and on and on. They all do good jobs if used within there parameters.

I use the 300whisper in the AR and it works well haven't ever lost one (So far) In the past three years our longest shot has been 100 yards and our average has been around 30 yards (as memory serves me) so long range guns do me no good. I have lost to many to the shotgun so I don't use one very much, they will kill I just ain't that good with one.

Here lately the whisper has been putting big holes in them so I may change to heavier bullets. I think the little berreta storm in 40cal would be a real good combo for our type of hunting or the little M1 in 30 carbine. I also think the little SKS with the 7.62x39 round is over looked allot by Eastern woods hunters and makes a great hunting partner. I have killed quiet a few with the one in my safe.

If I was shooting longer ranges I might use the high speed rounds but then again, If I can get them to come in to 300 yards why cant I get them to come in to 30yards. So far now I will stick to the rounds that best describe me.

You know short fat and slow :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bopeye

Quote from: CCP on December 21, 2006, 12:26:24 PM

QuoteI think another great caliber idea is the 300Whisper.  eyebrow  How about it Rich?

Just had to drag me into this vvarmitr :roflmao:

So far now I will stick to the rounds that best describe me.

You know short fat and slow :biggrin:

Talk about someone dragging you in.... :rolleye: ....short, fat and slow...... :biggrin:

As of right now I'll stick with the 10 gauge, but am really eyeing the AR15 in .223.
No long range shooting here, so whatever slapped them to the ground in close works for me.......I'm even considering making a long spear or lance......depends..... :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Smith

I have shot a 222 223 and 22-250 over the years And like them all. The last year and a half I have been useing a 204 and have been blown away by it. I am right on top of having 40 coyotes with it. It has been a great gun for me. I have killed them from 10 yards to 500 yards. The round seems to handle the wind better than my 223 and is flatter shooting. I shoot 39 grain blitz kings, I have shot a few coyotes with the lighter bullets as well with great success too. And I have had alot less fur damage with it than any other round as well.

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

Bob D

Would you say you like it better than the 22-250?  I've read your posts for a long time and if you do say this , I gotta have one cause I believe what you say.

Opensights

Smith , My rifle of choice is also 204. I think it can do it all.

kiyitec

SKS Paratrooper,open sights, when I am doing the calling. For those 10' runners.

.22mag in the small fields and clearcuts. Also on standby for the younger hunters.

.204, 22-250, .223 overall favorites.

Started taking the SKS after watching friends and family do the 10' running yote scoped rifle dance.
"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

blakcoyote

I like the .243,it doubles as a deer rifle,but is used mostly for coyotes.I've tried many of the different zippy lighter grain bullets.But have settled on the Federal V-Shok 100gr. Seirra BTSP,I know it doesn't sound very flashy as a yote bullet :laf: But does the job,leaving exit holes no bigger than a nickel,even when hitting bone.I don't reload,just don't have time,but maybe someday.

topdawg

I have not shot many varmet guns.  I myself shot a new england single shoot 204.  I have taken only one yote with it, with very min. pelt damage. I shoot it a lot at 20 oz pop bottles across my field roughly 200 yards (out of boardom). I like every thing about it except there isnt many types of rounds for it yet.  Like i said earlyer i have not shot many varmet guns so my opion is not real good....
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care