• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

SCOPE MALFUNCTION!!!!!!

Started by bushmaster, August 02, 2009, 09:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

absolutely CC.  As soon as i get it.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Silvertip

Just out of curiosity are you planning on hunting chipmunks at 1000yds?   :innocentwhistle:
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

bushmaster

If such opportunity should present itself :innocentwhistle:

Speaking of curiosity, Is there anything that i could line the rings with in an effort to reduce vibration of the scope?

Silvertip

I just hope that elk doesn't show up at 35yds. in the alders!   :innocentwhistle:

I don't know of anything that you could use to line the scope rings, to reduce vibration to the scope, that wouldn't also impact the return of the scope to zero. The military may have developed this technology but its not available to the public, to my knowledge. The best solution is the quality of the scope, scopes have been successfully used on rifles that have much more recoil than a 338.

alscalls

It is not just the recoil that does it......it is the back and fourth whip of the recoil......
Best way I can desribe it is ......take your fishing rod and make a few casts ........then add a 1/4 oz. sinker to the rod tip and cast again .......if you really dont like the rod .....as it may break due to the sudden change when it tries to recoil.... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

slagmaker

Quote from: bushmaster on September 10, 2009, 01:22:49 PM
If such opportunity should present itself :innocentwhistle:

Speaking of curiosity, Is there anything that i could line the rings with in an effort to reduce vibration of the scope?

yes, there is made a set of turned drill rods that you use to make sure your rings are aliened. Midway USA carries them. You can also use a piece of drill rod the same diameter as your scope and lap the rings. although I have not really heard of lapping helping or hurting accuracy or help a scope handle recoil but I cant see as it hurting any ting to give it a try. It will let your rings grip the tube more uniformly. I know when I get a good uniform grip on my tube it makes me feel pretty good :eyebrow:

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

slagmaker

Oh yeah one other thing. What kind of mount and ring system have ya got going on? A cheap mount can do some funky things to a scope when it flexes under recoil. Watch a big bore rifle being fired in slow motion. Its actually quite amazing what all bends and flexes. A good mount helps to elimanate that

Silvertip

Scope ring lapping will amaze you. I got my tools a dozen years ago. After I started to lap my first set of rings, I made about ten strokes and then opened the rings and found the only about a third of the ring was making contact and the contact point was not square to the bore of the scope. I then finished lapping and have never had any problems since. I continue to use this method on all my scope rings, even high quality machined rings.

alscalls

Quote from: Silvertip on September 12, 2009, 12:44:22 AM
Scope ring lapping will amaze you. I got my tools a dozen years ago. After I started to lap my first set of rings, I made about ten strokes and then opened the rings and found the only about a third of the ring was making contact and the contact point was not square to the bore of the scope. I then finished lapping and have never had any problems since. I continue to use this method on all my scope rings, even high quality machined rings.

I like That..... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

bushmaster

Quote from: slagmaker on September 11, 2009, 11:41:05 PM
Oh yeah one other thing. What kind of mount and ring system have ya got going on? A cheap mount can do some funky things to a scope when it flexes under recoil. Watch a big bore rifle being fired in slow motion. Its actually quite amazing what all bends and flexes. A good mount helps to elimanate that

I have leupold rings and mounts.  For what i paid, i sure hope they are of high quality.  Badger ordinance just seemed like too much $$$.

Hawks Feather

Even with what you paid for the mounts you might be surprised by how they are misaligned.  If the bases are off just a little or the holes were drilled at just a slight angle you can have a mess.  I had one guy years back that I had the holes filled and retapped so that I could get the mounts to line up and get the rings on right.

The lapping tools work well and also the alignment tools.

Jerry

slagmaker

Did you happen to look a tthe mounting marks on the scope. You can usually tell if the rings were off. You'll get uneven marking on the scope. Well fitting rings will leave a compleate circle all the way around.

bushmaster

There were symetrical circles on the tube as far as i could tell.  but thats not to say that i was really looking for small differences. Would my gunsmith be likely to have lapping tools?

slagmaker

Quote from: bushmaster on September 18, 2009, 09:52:18 PM
Would my gunsmith be likely to have lapping tools?

I would say most definitely.

are you going to mount the scope yourself or have your gunsmith do it?

If you do it the tools are not all that expensive, set you back maybe 20 bucks for alignment and lapping tools for a 1 inch tube. And there handy to have for the next project.

bushmaster

30mm tube here.  I do mount the scope myself unless i happen to be at the gun store before hand.  The gunsmith is real cool and helps me out all the time.  Although, today i brought my brothers .243 in and bought him a scope.  Everyone behind the counter looked at me like i had three heads when i asked for a level to align the scope with. 

So really? $20?  Who makes the tools and how hard is it?

slagmaker

OK I stand corrected :shrug:. Prices are higher than I rember :holdon: but not by much  :doh2:

Go to midwayusa.com and check out product # 187-492 :readthis: this is an entire kit for everything, lapping and alignment both 1"& 30mm sizes. $68.99+ shipping

you might get the price down if ya look around. Diffrent brands, single size and such.

it isnt hard to do at all. very easy, shoot I think even Todd could alinge and lap a set of scope rings :sarcas3:

You can do like me, I made my set. Of course that was when I had access to a tool room. the lapping tool is easy, just a piece of appropiate sized drill rod. 

Silvertip

Since we're talking scope mounting, how do you guys get the horizontal crosshair level and aligned with the bore?
I've tried many of the tools available and have found them wanting. I method I now use I do at the range. I have a rifle rest that lets me strap down the rifle after I level it with a bubble level. I hang a plumb bob with orange string at 50 yds., sight thru the scope so that vertical crosshair is near the string, recheck that the rifle is level, and adjust the scope so that the vertical crosshair is parallel to the string.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Silvertip on September 20, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
I have a rifle rest that lets me strap down the rifle after I level it with a bubble level.

How do you make sure that your rifle is level in the rest?

Jerry

bushmaster

Thats a bit pricier than i'd like.  I know, it's not that much. But i'm really being affected by the times at this point.  Not to mention, fatherhood has come upon me :iroll:  Perhaps i'll check with the gunsmith on his price but isn't lapping and alignment for the sake of accuracy?  If so, i'm shooting a zero group @100yds.  If this will aid in preserving scope life, then it will be worth persuing.

Hawks Feather

Lapping makes the rings uniform so that there is equal pressure around the scope.  It keeps the scope from being damaged.  The other thing that you also want to check is your scope alignment.  This makes the rings square to each other to also prevent scope damage.  You can check out the tools here:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_detail_list/s

Jerry