• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Namibia Africa Safari

Started by FOsteology, September 16, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

My son and I hunted in Namibia Africa this June for a couple weeks. We hunted with Gras Ranch which is located in the southern portion of Namibia. The Ranch is almost 100,000 acres, with only 1/4 high fenced (set aside as a sanctuary). The remaining area is low-fence (typical cattle 3-4 strung barb-wire). In addition to his property, his father's Ranch butts up to his, and is almost 35,000 acres (low fence), and then he also has access to a German neighbors land next door that is around 25,000 acres high fenced.

My son used his Remington 700 ADL 30-06 in a McMillan Fibergrain Mtn. Rifle stock and Leupold VX-III 1.75-6x32mm Heavy Duplex with 165gr. Trophy Bonded Tip.
I used my AHR built Big Game Rifle 9.3x62mm with Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Post & Duplex with 286gr. Nosler Partitions.

Pictures of the terrain and area's we hunted:

FOsteology

Our PH's (Professional Hunters)

Bollie
Jannie
Erol

FOsteology

Some animals taken on our trip:

My son spent an entire day chasing after Guinea fowl with a .22LR

This old Springbok took us on a rodeo! We spotted him approx. 200 yards away standing next to a small tree. He was well aware of our presence, looking at us straight on. My son utilizing shooting sticks placed a bullet right under his chin. Down he went.... but jumped back up and lead us on an 1 1/2 chase on foot. He bled out and we found him. The bullet had hit him to one side of his neck, traveled along his side across his ribs, then the bullet entered his paunch. We were glad to have been able to recover him.

Another Springbok my son took at approx. 150 yards

We stalked this Blesbok all morning. Finally got in position and my son nailed him at less than 60 yards

We stalked within 40 yards to a small group of Blue Wildebeest. The 30-06 had no trouble dropping him in his tracks with one shot.

We stalked Kudu for an entire day. Keep pushing a group, and they finally stopped above a dry creek bed 320 yards out. My son tired of chasing them, took a prone position and nailed him.

Target of opportunity. This Gemsbok was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Again, the 30-06 loaded with 165gr. TBT had no trouble putting him down.

Spent an entire day chasing after Impala. My son finally had a shot opportunity at 180 yards at the end of the day.... right before a thunderstorm blew in.

Hawks Feather

Fos,

Thanks for sharing your safari with us.  I am sure that you son (and you) will never forget this one.  Great pictures by the way.

Jerry

FOsteology

I spent an entire day chasing Mountain Zebra up in the Mountains approx 3 hours East of Gras. Managed to get on a beautiful stallion. Took 5 shots with the 30-06 to bring him down. First shot was approx. 350 yards and he was on the move. I lead him too much and my first shot hit him in the paunch.  :sad: After the first hit, he was really moving! My final shot was approx 500+ yards. Two hits in the shoulder, one right behind the shoulder (lungs) and one in his ass.  :doh2:  

I'm electing not to post the pictures of the pajama donkey as he was a bloody mess.

I stalked a bachelor group (3 bulls) of Blue Wildebeest one morning. After a couple hours, we managed to get with 35 yards without them detecting us. The 9.3x62mm with 286gr. NP flattened him.

We spotted a HUGE Gemsbok one morning. He was out approx 140 yards, and I was trying to place the bullet under his chin.... damn thing moved at the shot. Hit him in the jaw and actually shot a tooth out! The chase was on... my next two shots missed.... I was out of ammo, so my PH handed me his 7mm Rem and a couple shots later he was down. 39 1/2"

I shot a few more Gemsbok during our stay. They were strictly culls, and taken per the PH request. Here's one I took, and brought the horns back. HuntnCarve has made a couple really nice calls with the horns.

FOsteology

FOsteology

centerfire_223

Wow what a trip that had to be... I am envious!!!!
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Wow doesnt even begin to describe it. Absolutely stunning pictures.  :yoyo:
Kinda wished you would put them in the photo gallery so they dont get buried on the board.

Your son got to do something that not very many kids at all will ever get to do. :congrats:

I kept hearing the theme song from Lion King though though while looking at the pics, how'd you do that?

Oh and what are those things in the trees, in your last batch here? Thats kinda spooky looking.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Those are birds nests up in the trees. I don't recall the species (little birds though) that flock in numerous numbers to form a "community" and build a huge nest over the years. After a period of time, the nest will get too large and heavy, and after a good rain fall, the weight will break the branches and they have to look for a new tree to began the cycle anew.

I was told that each nest will have a cobra in residence. The cobra "protects" the nest against other snakes, and of course in turn eats his share of eggs, chicks, and adult birds. One of my PH's said it was a BS story! lol

Underside of nest

KySongDog

FinsnFur

Thats all I'd need to hear and I wouldnt go near em....he can have the eggs :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Man what a trip !! Very cool for you and your son being able to experience it together.
Very nice pics, and Thanks for sharin em with us!
Scott

Todd Rahm

yeah those are cool Fo, and your son has a lot to talk about.  :biggrin:

Whast with that Killer Klown looking thingy?  :innocentwhistle:

FOsteology

Quote from: Todd Rahm on September 16, 2009, 10:39:10 PM
Whast with that Killer Klown looking thingy?  :innocentwhistle:

According to my PH, it's the "Face of Namibia".   :innocentwhistle:

HuntnCarve

Very nice FOs!  That's some fantastic scenery and trophies!  The fact that you could share it all with your son makes it that much more special. 

I think those birds are called "weaver birds"?   

Frogman

WOW!!!  Thanks for sharing.  Great pics and story!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

SCcoyotehunter

That's gonna be one heck of a taxidermist bill  :readthis:!!!!

vvarmitr

What a dream come true! :thumb2:
I have always wanted to go to Africa. I often pick up the African Gazette & drool.
Thanks for sharing so very much!