• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Recent posts

The Tailgate / Re: S'posed to get my biggest ...
Last post by Hawks Feather - March 22, 2024, 10:13:20 AM
Thanks SO much for the update. If you are getting out in a couple of days you are doing really good. Keep it up! Remember it takes time.
Last post by Okanagan - March 22, 2024, 09:29:08 AM
Survived the surgery. It's a miserable ordeal, but they say I'm recovering better than expected. Thank you for the prayers. Hope to go home in another day or two. Very tired.
Firearms / Re: New addition!
Last post by nastygunz - March 21, 2024, 09:03:05 PM
Guy kinda struck me as not overly experienced with guns lol. I have owned one before but my brother talked me out of it.
Last post by FinsnFur - March 21, 2024, 08:22:46 PM
I think he made that look a lot harder to cock then it really was.  :shrug:
Or he explained it half assed.
I would not try to push that open slide back down onto the frame of the pistol, just by the way you have to hold it.
You already have a more then perfect grip on the pistol grip.
Why not roll your wrist forward and lift the well gripped frame towards the open slide while holding the slide still with your palm.
Much easier, much safer.  :shrug:
Last post by Hawks Feather - March 21, 2024, 06:19:37 PM
Beeman normally, or at least used to, makes a pretty decent airgun. But after watching how that is loaded and cocked, I think I will pass.
Last post by nastygunz - March 21, 2024, 05:10:55 PM
"The Beeman P17 is a great little single shot .177 cal pellet pistol.  The single stroke pneumatic action provides super consistent velocity and that translates in to great accuracy.  The trigger is probably the best feature of this pistol because it is very light and crisp with a definite first and second stage.  The Beeman P17 is a great addition to any airgunners collection or would make a great first airgun for someone looking for a simple backyard plinker.
It has so much going for it, it is quiet, has adjustable fiberoptic sights, superb trigger, wonderful accuracy and all of this at a super low price.  You can find yours at the Air Gun Pro Shop for $30 and that is a steal for such a great pistol."
Firearms / New addition!
Last post by nastygunz - March 21, 2024, 05:09:56 PM
The Tailgate / Today in history 3-21
Last post by remrogers - March 21, 2024, 10:26:15 AM
March 21
The Moondog Coronation Ball is history's first rock concert

On March 21, 1952, Cleveland hosts an event now recognized as history's first major rock-and-roll show: the Moondog Coronation Ball.

Breathless promotion on the local radio station. Tickets selling out in a single day. Thousands of teenagers, hours before show time, lining up outside the biggest venue in town. The scene outside the Cleveland Arena on a chilly Friday night in March would look quite familiar to anyone who has ever attended a major rock concert. But no one on this particular night had ever even heard of a "rock concert" before.

The "Moondog" in question was the legendary disk jockey Alan Freed, the self-styled "father of rock and roll" who was then the host of the enormously popular "Moondog Show" on Cleveland AM radio station WJW. Freed had joined WJW in 1951 as the host of a classical-music program, but he took up a different kind of music at the suggestion of Cleveland record-store owner Leo Mintz, who had noted with great interest the growing popularity, among young customers of all races, of rhythm-and-blues records by black musicians.

Mintz decided to sponsor three hours of late-night programming on WJW to showcase rhythm-and-blues music, and Alan Freed was installed as host. Freed quickly took to the task, adopting a new, hip persona and vocabulary that included liberal use of the phrase "rock and roll" to describe the music he was now promoting.

As the program grew in popularity, Mintz and Freed decided to do something that had never been done: hold a live dance event featuring some of the artists whose records were appearing on Freed's show. Dubbed "The Moondog Coronation Ball," the event was to feature headliners Paul Williams and his Hucklebuckers and Tiny Grimes and the Rocking Highlanders (a black instrumental group that performed in Scottish kilts). In the end, however, the incredible popular demand for tickets proved to be the event's undoing.

Helped along by massive ticket counterfeiting and possibly by overbooking on the part of the event's sponsors, an estimated 20,000 to 25,000 fans turned out for an event being held in an arena with a capacity of only 10,000. Less than an hour into the show, the massive overflow crowd broke through the gates that were keeping them outside, and police quickly moved in to stop the show almost as soon as it began. On the radio the very next evening, Alan Freed offered an apology to listeners who had tried to attend the canceled event. By way of explanation, Freed said: "If anyone...had told us that some 20 or 25,000 people would try to get into a danceā€”I suppose you would have been just like me. You would have laughed and said they were crazy."
Last post by nastygunz - March 20, 2024, 09:11:40 PM
👍👍🇺🇸🇺🇸
Last post by Hawks Feather - March 20, 2024, 07:23:24 PM
Quote from: nastygunz on March 20, 2024, 03:47:30 PMAny updates?

I don't know if any of his kids have an account here, but hopefully we will hear some good news soon.