• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Elevated Blinds

Started by Rick223, August 07, 2006, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick223

I know a place on one of the farms I hunt that the coyotes like to cross almost daily the farmer and his son drive through there every day to feed cattle and see them all the time but the yotes there are quite call shy he lets all his relatives hunt there and most of them dont have a clue :rolleye: but the problem is its wide open no cover, Ive seen them a few times myself but havent been able to call them in there, the fields are humped so sittin on the tree lines offer very limited visability and to see anything you have to be in the wide open.and this is all cattle country the woods are very thick choked out by multifloral rose. So i thought an elevated blind would do the trick.and some kind of different call(like a blackbird distress :wink:)
have any of you guys used blinds or the like?
Rick223
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

keekee

I have called them from tree stands. When I set up like this I use a e-caller most of the time. Also I made myself a pod to hunt from. Its a portable tri-pod with a swivel seat on the top. Let me see if I can get a couple pic's for you to look at today. Also there is a article I wrote over on FoxPro's website on hunting off a pod.

Here is a link to the article.......http://www.gofoxpro.com/elevated.pdf

Brent

Rick223

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

keekee

Here ya go Rick..........

Brent

FinsnFur

Aint that Mother's old computor chair? :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

THO Game Calls

I hunt what sounds like a very similar area.  Rolling Hills, fields with small patches of thick cover in between.

A couple of things I have found hunting this kind of teritory.

Coyotes seem to travel trhough early in the morning on their way to bedding and security areas.  I have gotten them to stop and look, but never to stop and come in.  And there is no hunting pressure here, just farm activity.  It's almost like they are on a mission to get to where they are headed.  And they may be.  But I have had little luck stopping a coyote crossing a field in the morning.  Evenings is different, they will stop and look, and maybe come towards the sound.

What seems to work for me, is to learn their travel routes and just ambush them.  I do this from a tree stand.  Sort of like deer hunting.  I don't call, I just sit and wait.  I can usually get a couple each year this way. 

But if for some reason I don't see tjem. or I get up late and think I have missed them, I head for where I think their security cover is.   I will go set up on he edge of it and call.  And I will sit there a good long time.  Sometimes more than an hour.  Reason being is that they can hear my calls, they are in the cover, and there is a good chance they are watching from within the cover.  If you move after 15 minutes, they will see you and the gig is up.  By sitting longer, closer to their cover, I think it just eats away at them untill they just can't take it anymore and have to come out and take a look. 

I think, at least for here in the east, the more you walk around close to woods that border fields, the worse your chances become, because they are going to spot you. 

Try to find a good aireal photo - maybe on Terraserver.com and try to locate the thickest and largest piece of woods close to those fields and set up close to there. 

I like hunting out of tree stands, and use a Summit Climber quite a bit here in NH.   

Good luck and good calling

Al
THO Game Calls

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Rick223

thanks for the advice the times Ive seen them crossin was just like what you said Al they were on a missison.and brent looks like mama has a nice chair there But I need to get 20 or so feet off the ground.So I think Im gonna try a tree stand and ambush em.

Rick