• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

The gills are in.

Started by nastygunz, April 26, 2015, 06:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

The cold wind was blowing strongly into my face, pushing little whitecaps upon the water. Not an auspicious start to my late spring first fly fishing adventure!

On the plus side however there was not a blackfly or mosquito in sight and through the turmoil on the water surface I occasionally saw what looked like fish breaking the surface.

My weapon of choice today was my six weight fly rod, 9 feet long, with a weight forward floating line using a foam bug that I tied myself with a body made from a foam flip-flop sandal I purchased at the local dollar store, bright green in color.

After several casts which were quite difficult with the wind blowing strongly into my face I finally had a splashy take and hauled in a nice bluegill, the first of several and my first fish of the year.
It felt great to get out and do some casting and catching a fish is always a bonus and hopefully they'll be many more this year.

riverboss

Nice!!! I've tried twice but nothing is biting on top yet here. I can't wait to hang into some with my new fly rod.

nastygunz

They were really aggressive today even though it was pretty damn cold out still. I was getting a bite just about every cast. I am a trout fiend and love bass fishing with a flyrod but for sheer relaxed fun bluegills on a fly are about the funnest thing there is.

nastygunz

I caught so many today on a little white foam spider  I literally got sick of unhooking them. Got some real Bullgills too.

riverboss

Nice catch I can't wait till this weekend.

nastygunz

Advantage of a flyrod, fishing a little foam spider, across from me there were three adults and two kids fishing with bobbers n worms, just myself versus them I was catching probably 6 to 8 fish to their one with them combined. The gills we're literally blasting the spider on the surface super aggressive.

Dave

Looks like a lot of fun.
I was out about a week ago with my flyrod but they were all just looking. And small  (I'd have eaten em though!)

FinsnFur

Nasty,were not friends anymore
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Jimbo, go to the local box store and get yourself a cheap ready to go flyfishing outfit and you'll be into the panfish and never look back. Then get your self some bass poppers and after you hook a bass on the flyrod you'll retire regular fishing gear :yoyo: :eyebrow: :biggrin:
Everything in the water will fear you :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

ROFLMAO!    That picture made the whole post.  :alscalls: :laugh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 29, 2015, 10:24:32 PM
Nasty,were not friends anymore

Ditto.  You are having too much fun.   :nofgr:   :highclap:

Wish we had bluegills and such kind of fish around here.