• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

When are you going to start huntiing coyotes ?

Started by Bob D, August 27, 2006, 06:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

Our season never ends in Alabama but I like to start hunting fall as soon as the weather cools to the 60"s at night. We got a ways to go before it gets like that!
Bob

centerfire_223

I normally start the first of Sept. but unfortunately I will be in Nashville next weekend so that won't happen.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Brad H

I'll probably start sometime in September or early October. That's when the biggest callable numbers exist.

Brad

centerfire_223

Man the last couple of mornings have really gotten my attention. It has been in the 60's in the mornings, come on WINTER!!!! I am tired of hot weather. I can't wait to get out there and sing the bunny blues again.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Jerry Hunsley

I started back in 55' and haven't quit. I haven't stopped just slowed down with the hot weather.  :eyebrow:

THO Game Calls

Usually by August I can't take it any more.  Here in NH, iti almost always in the 60's at night so morning are nice,  but by 8 or 9 it can get down right hot.  I will do one or two stands early in August and then come the end of the month and into september start extending it to longer in the day as the fall and winter come on. 

Went out this morning and did tree stands and got not a thing.  It was pretty cool too, down in the 40's last night.

I really think all the rain we had this spring had an effect on the coyotes around here.  Dens are not where they have been for the last 3 to 4 years and travel patterns seem to have changed as the old spots are not showing the sign they used to.  We need a good tracking snow.  Just one day, about 2 or 3 inches and I will be happy.

Al
THO Game Calls

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Todd Rahm

Might try to call in one or two before then, but Nov 10th is when I really start.

CCP

This coming weekend will crankup our full  time season
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

THO Game Calls

Why Nov 10th Todd? 

Seems it would down right cold up your way by then. 

Al
THO Game Calls

FinsnFur

October, November here. Then we gotta take a break durring deer season, because there's so many Tom Dick and Harry's out there with a high power rifle and a sippin flask it aint safe to be in camo.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

I hear you Jim.

it is so bad here in the southern part of the state that when I get in my tree stand, I take my orange vest and wrap it around the tree as high up as I can get.  That way, when they look at me through the scope of their rifle they are pointing about 3 feet above my head. 

Al
THO Game Calls

keekee

This weekend comming up will start out season off! Cant wait!

Brent

Rick223

And to back up what Jim said Our woods are so thick here its not very productive till the leaves are gone they just dont come out in the open very often.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Yellerdog

I'm starting this weekend and will try to get out a lot in September. I'll slow down and do some deer hunting in Oct/ and Nov.
I'd rather hunt coyotes, but there are so many people in the woods in Michigan during the deer saesons it makes coyote hunting a bit of a challenge. Every time you get set up and start calling some yahoo bust the stand. :madd:

Jimmie in Ky

I will start anytime after we get a good frost here to nock the cover down some. They have the advantage when there is so much cover to hide in . Around here deer hunting is big until after the gun season, then the extras in the woods thin down a bit.Jimmie

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: Yellerdog on August 28, 2006, 09:49:21 PM
I'm starting this weekend and will try to get out a lot in September. I'll slow down and do some deer hunting in Oct/ and Nov.
I'd rather hunt coyotes, but there are so many people in the woods in Michigan during the deer saesons it makes coyote hunting a bit of a challenge. Every time you get set up and start calling some yahoo bust the stand. :madd:
Your right yellowdog. I have had that happen before. Where I live, we have an East River Deer season and a Westriver season. I live right on the river which splits East and West River. Now I go hunting where the season isn't on and that solves most of the problem. There is a week where both seasons overlap though. Nothing more frustating  then walk into a area to call and then have some lazy hunter driving the ridges hoping to shoot a nice buck. You know if these guys hunted deer like the archery hunters they could get a nice buck quite a few times. To me, that's isn't hunting.

Jrbhunter

Start?   I guess I forgot to stop.

Hardcore season kicks in late October- crops are out, weather is cool and the fur is prime.

Montana Hunter

I went out last wednesday and I think I might wait a few more weeks before I go again.  It is still pretty warm here and smoky from numerous fires.  General hunting opens near the end of October and I want to get out a little before the Pumpkin army is out.  5 weeks season for big game makes critters pretty hard to call up at times.  Anyway I think this year is going to be a good one. Just got a feeling. :biggrin: MH

centerfire_223

Quote from: Montana Hunter on September 09, 2006, 04:45:47 AM
  5 weeks season for big game makes critters pretty hard to call up at times.  Anyway I think this year is going to be a good one. Just got a feeling. :biggrin: MH

Only a five weeks season, I wish it was that here. Deer season comes in here the 2nd week of September and runs through January 1st. By then every coyote around has had bump ins with a human. That is why I don't hunt public land very much at all.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Montana Hunter

centerfire223-
   That is a long season for sure!  I guess anything shorter would put less pressure on your predators!  Does the fur prime up down there at all?  How cold does it get there? MH