• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My Buddy doesn't golf, .....

Started by vvarmitr, April 02, 2008, 08:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

..... but he's sure getting into Sporting Clays.  :iroll: 
Well, he's getting me into it as well. :doh2:  I bought the cheapest O/U I could find. A Mossburg.  Buying flats of shells where ever I can find a good deal.  I'm thinking of getting a squishy butt pad installed as well as fiber optic sights.  :wo:
I've shot 3 courses so far. The one even had golf carts to use.   :eyebrow:
Sure getting some trigger time in.  We do the 100 bird courses plus a thing called a 5 stand. (another box of shells)
I love the variety of shots you have to take. Some are pretty wild. :laf:
At one stand we shot Sunday we did a thing called a Flurry.  The trap was up over a hill & the trap boy would send 2 birds for each guy (We had 6 of us) just as fast as he could one right after the another. We all stood in a line abreast & the first guy would shoot his 2 then the next guy, & so on down the line. However, just as quick the trap boy would send 2 more for the first guy again & so forth down the line. This happened 3 times (6 birds/shooter).  Now these birds are coming down at you & if you missed & are tall you could get :hahaha: bonked on the head.   You're almost shooting in self defence. :laf: 

I could go on & on about the stands. 
If you ever get a chance to do this, try it. :wink:   Mostly what ya need is safety glasses, hearing protection, a shotgun you can get 2 real quick shots off w/, at least 150 rounds of 7 1/2 &/or 8s, & an improved cyclinder or modified barrel. Shoulder protection of sorts is a good idea too. :wink:

wv_yoter

It is a good time VV. I have a buddy who used to be into this, and  we would get together at his place and shoot. Extra shoulder protection is a real good idea.
Jason

Silencer

VV, did you get the Mossbergh Silver ?????????????????????????????  If so give me the down-low on it !!!

bigben

My father got me a charles daily for christmas two years ago and I love it.  vic I highly suggest against buying a fiber optic sight for a sporting clays gun.  the biggest problem that I had was a bright sight that stuck out like a sore thumb so to speak.  you are not aiming a shotgun but pointing.  when I first get a shotgun I train so to speak in a room with a unloaded gun.  pick a spot on the wall.  look at that spot and shoulder your gun in one motion.  and only give yourself a few seconds.  if you have to readjust your gun after getting it into your shoulder then you are wasting time.  another thing I do when shooting to give yourself a good idea where the birds are coming and where you are going to break them is I get behind the person that is shooting in front of me.  I then note on a tree or bush where the bird comes into view at.  I also try to visualize where to break the bird at.  during the summer my father and i along with a bunch of guys at work all go shooting on wednsdays after work.  a good day for me is 45 birds out of 50  a average day is 40.  if you really want to brush up on your wing shooting try skeet once. 

on the mossberg gun I shot one that was a buddies of mine when they first came out.  I never really liked it because it was akward in my hands for some reason.  and out of all the doubles with the exception of a side by side it kicked harder then any of em.  I wish you good luck and this sport is getting exspensive to shoot a round of 50 here expect to pay 20 bucks shells and all. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Silencer

I just read shot prices jumped up again and AA trap loads are averaging $8.00 a box   :puke:

bigben

yep gettin espensive.  we were reloading our own last year.  we got the press set up at 7/8oz of 7 1/2 and it does a good job on clays and anything smaller then a grouse.  squirrels need to be within 30 yds to kill one shot DRT.  I tend to lean to a tighter choke when shooting clays anyhow full in the top barrel and a improved mod in the bottom.  supposedly if you shoot the bottom barrel first the muzzel does not jump as much and you get on your taget quicker.  my motto is "nothin but dust" 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

northern coyote

is sporting clays anything like shooting trap? our school just got a trap club going and I think its a blast!  :biggrin: I was wondering what the differance was between the two
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

bigben

sporting clays are there to renact real life scenarios to get you accustomed to hunting.  they have shots like rabbits and birds and they use their tendancies to help you become a better hunter.  might take some video this week.  got a 30 for my first time out last week. 

vvarmitr

Yes & no, but mostly no.  Some call it shotgun golf.
The biggest similarity is ya get to call  PULLLL!!!
W/ SC you go from station to station, & each station has a different thrower or throwers, & may have different sized clays.
You walk from station to station (unless they have golf carts  :biggrin: )  So there is an element of exercise, like golf.
The throwers can be anywhere. Beside ya, behind ya, down in front, way off to your right or left or maybe a combo of 'em.  One time the thrower was down & right behind me w/ the birds being thrown under my feet. I was up on a stand.  :biggrin:
The clays can be thrown straight up into the air, rolled along the ground or log, ascending or descending, fast or slow.
The clays are mostly regulation size birds. A 185mm I think.  :confused:  There is a 95mm mini. A rabbit that has a strong edge & is flat for being rounded along the ground. There's another one I call the wafer, built much like the rabbit. You have to wait till banks so you can see it let alone hit it.  :laf:
Now at each stand you shoot at 5 - 6 clays usually.  They will come in one of these ways - single - report - following - doubles/pairs.
A single  ....well is a single.  :doh2:  But you get 2 shots at it if need be.  :whew:
A report which is 2 clays. The second one being throw at the report of your first shot.
A following, the second clay is thrown somewhere w/in 3 seconds after the first.  :eyebrownod:  At the trap boys discretion.  :shck:
Doubles or pairs as some call 'em is 2 clays at the same time of whatever is being thrown.  Now this can be tricky if you have a rabbit & a bird.  :madd:   Or crossers!  :madd:  :madd:
In regulation SC you're not to have the gun shouldered before calling a bird.  In most cases it doesn't help to have it shouldered either.  :iroll:
Another thing the ranges won't be the same everytime.  We went Sat' & Sun' to the same range & they had it changed from Sat'  :sick2:
At one range they have a station w/ a rabbit & hound plus a bird.  The rabbit was thrown w/ the orange side showing & the hound was thrown w/ the bottom/black side showing.  They were thrown together w/ the hound slightly behind. The trick was to hit the rabbit w/o hitting the hound. Hit the hound & you lost a point.  :huh:   A double on this was a rabbit & hound plus the bird flying through the air.   :eyebrownod:
As you probably figgured NC you need a gun that can get 2 shots off quick!  Most use O/U w/ autos coming in a far second & pumps & SxS bringing up the rear.
Unlike Ben, I shoot Improved Cyclinder in the bottom & Modified on top.  Nothing but dust is great, but I'll count a chip everytime.  ;yes; 
Mostly we shoot 1oz #8s w/ some Rem' Nitro SC w/ 11/8oz of #8s at 1300fps for when the going gets tough.  :eyebrow:
Sporting Clays was started to simulate hunting shooting situations.  I'd have to say it pretty much has though I'd never shoot at a rabbit w/ a hound that close behind. :nofgr:  :noway:
The ranges I've been to have 50 & 100 course to shoot. Plus there is a 25 bird warm up to shoot too.  2 ranges have a pyramid to shoot from w/ 5 stands going up & back down w/ the thrower under the middle.

If I've missed anything please someone fill in.

I love the variaty & the chance to get a lot of trigger time in!  :thumb2:

northern coyote

sweet, all that talk of gettin a lot of trigger time really makes me wanna go and find some courses, now, just to find the money for shells  :confused: HEY DAD! CAN I TALK TO YOU FOR A MINUTE?!!!........................ :eyebrow:
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

SCcoyotehunter

Sounds like your hooked. One thing you can do is take off your fiber optic sight. You don't need it. Your eyes on the target and cheek on the stock. Get your leads down and keep your head down. you'll break it everytime. Good luck.
Reason being, if your focusing on the fiber optic sight and then your focusing on the target back and forth your eyes get confused and out of focus. If your head is down and your eyes on the target your gun will follow. Best lesson I ever learned.