• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

any water heater experts

Started by browning204, September 23, 2008, 08:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

I have a new water heater, it runs on propane. It keeps shutting down and locking itself up. The three lights on the control panel tell me that it is shutting down do to the Flammable vapor sensor.

The FVS is at the bottom of the unit. As I said the heater is brand new and I haven't had a day of hot water since I got it.
I have to keep resetting the heater.

As anyone ever heard of this before!!!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Hawks Feather

I am not a water heater expert, but since the unit is new, I would be calling the place that I bought it and telling them they need to repair or replace it.

Jerry

browning204

I visited Home cheapo, thats where I bought it. I asked the questions and got that blank stare. I hate home cheapo but lowes is far away.

My next step is to rip the friggin thing out and return it!!

Coulter

I don't know anything about them either...what I do know is that I would be calling in somebody that does. A friend of mine was just trying to show his wife how to light the pilot light on one a couple weeks ago and blew his entire house up. There is absolutely nothing left. Both him and his wife are in induced comas with 75% and 85% burns. Their three kids are fine other than the psychological trama...

Be careful with them things.

Steve

George Ackley

204 ,, is it flashing a code?  is it a direct vent?? if so how far is the vent run to its tumination out the wall??
is the inducer running? if so is the vent pipe have the proper slope ???

if you cant get it running e-mail me you number

if it shuts down quick try this and let me know what it is doing disconnect the flu on top of the heater and let it run..see if it shuts off!!! is there any roll out switches on it ??

peace
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Rich

I would have to say that the problem is either a gas leak between propane supply and the burner, or improper venting. It could be a faulty vapor sensor I suppose, but best thing would be to take it back where you bought it.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

KySongDog

I suggest you get a licensed plumber.    :wink:

alscalls

George is right on the money..........I think it is shutting down for saftey reasons like not vented properly.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Silencer

Same thing happened here that happened to Steves friend, they were installing a new propane water heater and had a leak, somehow it blew up and lifted the house right off the foundation.  As far as I know the guys that were installing it are still in the hospital and if the wife didnt step out of the kitchen to take a phone call on the deck she would have been killed instantly.

Be safe B204

George Ackley

heaters dont have a sensor that detect a leak,,,,

i will ask you a really dumb question 204,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you ready for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you did buy a LP water heater didn't you??????????????????????????????? :eyebrow: :roflmao: :roflmao:

if the answer is yes then check for this
if it a direct vent, where a PVC is used to vent exhaust air there are many safety's  on that unit
one being  a sensor the checks for back pressure in the exhaust pip , and it don't take much to create just enough pressure to shut her down..

I think that unit you have you can run up to 90 feet of exhaust with every 90 used being equal to 15 feet
and it should be a 2'' pip uses as a exhaust that should slope 1/4 per foot.. but the unit should flash a code
I am thinking without knowing what unit you have that if its a 3 beat hart beat flash then it the vent pipe...

Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

CCP

I agree with George on this one. :shck:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

:roflmao: :roflmao:
George must be a plumber :eyebrownod: He done left our number one plumber with nothing much to say. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Plumb George!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

browning204

Quote from: George Ackley on September 23, 2008, 04:46:56 PM

heaters dont have a sensor that detect a leak,,,,

i will ask you a really dumb question 204,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you ready for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you did buy a LP water heater didn't you??????????????????????????????? :eyebrow: :roflmao: :roflmao:

if the answer is yes then check for this
if it a direct vent, where a PVC is used to vent exhaust air there are many safety's  on that unit
one being  a sensor the checks for back pressure in the exhaust pip , and it don't take much to create just enough pressure to shut her down..

I think that unit you have you can run up to 90 feet of exhaust with every 90 used being equal to 15 feet
and it should be a 2'' pip uses as a exhaust that should slope 1/4 per foot.. but the unit should flash a code
I am thinking without knowing what unit you have that if its a 3 beat hart beat flash then it the vent pipe...

Yes goerge it is a LP one.

the error lights are as follows.

There is a series of light that tell me what settoing the heater is on.

WARM..70..A..B...C

now the light light up when something goes wrong, the light I am gettin are warm...A...C  which in the manual states it is a vapor sensor..

it is a power vented unit. vented out the house with PVC piping...

I called the manufacturer and they are sposed to send someone out and fix it IF it is a factory mess up.

Now I just got it runnin after 1 1/2 days of trying. it will crap out again but while it is running, 4 of us are gonna make a mad dash and take marathon showers!!!!!!!!

HaMeR

CCP & George-- If this LP heater has a Natural Gas orifice can this be causing the problem??  :shrug:

Just a thought I had. {OUCH}  :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11