• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

saving salmon from sushi

Started by Okanagan, July 09, 2022, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Pics of several salmon and various ways of cooking from the past few days.  We all decided to eat up while we had fresh unfrozen salmon.  Our extended family has had two big salmon feasts, plus grilled salmon supper last evening with a son and his 20 year old daughter. 

Daughter in law prepping salmon. She baked and grilled the salmon on the huge cookie sheet.  Forgot to get a glamor pic when it was done, but it was glamorous eating. 

Then some salmon being grilled on an open fire, mostly alder coals.  We experimented with the tradional slow cooked fish splayed on alder sticks and also a fish grilling basket. In the early stages of grilling I throw some alder shavings on the coals to make smoke and add more smoke flavour to the salmon.

Below is the slab slow cooked on alder sticks, plunked in a fish basket for the moment.

For yesterday's special supper I took a 9 lb fish caught at 8:00 AM, filleted it at noon and immediately slathered one side of it with flavor spices.  Then I covered it with Saran wrap and kept it in the fridge for 5 hours before grilling it in a fish basket.  Flavour spices:  Johnny's seasoning salt, coarse black pepper, onion flakes, garlic flakes, sprayed with liquid smoke I put in a spay bottle spritzer for an even light coating.

Ready to cook, below.

Table ready salmon, below.  Save the salmon from sushi!

nastygunz

Hawks Feather

That looks SO good. Congratulations on the successful fishing trip.

FinsnFur

Wow, that looks crazy delicious.
Love me some Salmon :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Thank you! 

The pic below is the one that makes my mouth water.  The slab of salmon was trying to break apart as I took it out of the sticks, so I eased it onto a side of the fish basket so I could move it to the table without further breaking up.  I stole a bite or two to tidy up the edges, natch, and ZOWIE it was tasty, almost too hot for my mouth... great taste memory.

pitw

That almost made me want to try salmon again. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

So kind of you to 'tidy up the edges'. I try this with about everything I can - especially ice cream.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on July 10, 2022, 12:57:05 PMThat almost made me want to try salmon again. 

Could be that you just don't like salmon.  :shrug: Any food with a distinctive taste/texture almost certainly will have people who like it and people who don't.

I can't stand watermelon.  It almost makes me puke. 

pitw

Quote from: Okanagan on July 11, 2022, 09:28:09 AM
Quote from: pitw on July 10, 2022, 12:57:05 PMThat almost made me want to try salmon again. 

Could be that you just don't like salmon.  :shrug: Any food with a distinctive taste/texture almost certainly will have people who like it and people who don't.

I can't stand watermelon.  It almost makes me puke. 

Oke as you well know, getting fresh salmon where I live is near impossible.  I'm sure yours is delicious and I'd enjoy it.  But out here I'd sooner eat slough shark fresh from the water.

FinsnFur

Ever cook one on a Cedar plank?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Okanagan

Never have.  We have lots of cedar.  Does it make the salmon taste better?