• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Sunday at work

Started by 5 SHOTS, December 15, 2009, 08:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 SHOTS

I bought one of the little Foxpro calls last week. So far all i can get out of it is a so so sounding cottontail, jackrabbit, fawn distress and a pretty good sounding (to my untrained ear) coyote howl and kiyi. Now I am not blaming the call....just the one running it, me. Sunday afternoon I was sitting in my portable coyote calling blind and decided to mess with the little Foxpro for a while. I started to try to get some better sounds out of the caller and about 6 or 8 seconds later a coyote stood up from his (or her) bed and stretched just like a dog, less than 75 yards from my portable coyote calling blind. I thought CRUD and I got no gun, then I thought, PHOTO OP and dug out my camera, only to find that I still hadn't gotten batteries. So I was forced use my cell phone. Meanwhile the coyote had finished his (or her) stretch and had began that "you don't scare me" trot around the location and my portable coyote calling blind. I jumped out in the nick of time, armed with my cell phone, to snap a quick pic before he (or she) could get out of sight behind the tank battery. All told, the coyote trotted about 500 yards and never got over 100 yards away until it got out of sight. In the pic the coyote is just a little blob but he (or she) is only about 75 yards away.

Here is a pic of my portable coyote calling blind.

Amazing how well that blind works.... even with the motor and the pump running. I had just driven less than 25 yards from the coyote and it ignored me.  :shrug:

And finally a pic of the little Foxpro.

sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

pitw

Art I don't know if I could blow that call either but I sure loved the story  :yoyo:.  You never told me you drove a hair lipped duck  :pout:.  Where was the gun?
I say what I think not think what I say.

5 SHOTS

The oil companies do not allow guns because of the fire danger.....lots of natural gas in the tanks.  :madd:

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

FinsnFur

Personally, I like your portable calling blind :biggrin:

The motor and running pump probably made it feel comfortable. Farmers around here talk quite often about the coyotes that stand up in the fields when they shut down the tractor after hours of working, to stop midfield, along side the pickup and run home for some lunch or whatever.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

One of my Farmers tell me the coyotes stand at the edge of the woods while he picks a round bale up out of the field. By the time he gets to the gate there is at least one mousing where he took the bale from. Just wish I knew when he was doing that everyday.  :eyebrownod:

If the machinery doesn't chase them then it doesn't bother them while it's working out in the field & they just stand there & watch it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

The site of Tank Battery is kind of neat again. I spent a good deal of time as a little boy around tank batteries. My dad taught special education during the day, pumped a small oilfield in the evenings and still had time to teach an adult special ed class at night.  :whew: Makes me tired just thinking about it.  :eyebrownod:
He use to take a shovel and build up the pads around the tank battery to catch in inadvertant spills and then would pay my brother and I a dollar to hoe the weeds around it. He said it was to make the place look good, but in my older age I now know the real reason. He was deathly afraid of rattlesnakes and didn't want one to be able to hide in the weeds where he was walking.  :laf:

BTW, that was an excellent picture of a coyote Art. Looks like my kind of photographs.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vvarmitr

Good story!   :biggrin:

Quote from: 5 SHOTS on December 15, 2009, 08:45:52 AM
The oil companies do not allow guns because of the fire danger.....lots of natural gas in the tanks.  :madd:
How about a crossbow or one of those pneumatic rifles. :eyebrow:

pitw

Hey 5shots how much was that call?  I can see some opportunities in owning one of them :wink:.

5 SHOTS

Quote from: vvarmitr on December 16, 2009, 02:05:10 PM
Good story!   :biggrin:

Quote from: 5 SHOTS on December 15, 2009, 08:45:52 AM
The oil companies do not allow guns because of the fire danger.....lots of natural gas in the tanks.  :madd:
How about a crossbow or one of those pneumatic rifles. :eyebrow:

We have talked about them, but the boss is a little nervous about anything that might cause the oil companies to find someone else to haul their water, and some of those locations are good for up to $1,000 per day in revenue.

Barry the Foxpro cost $20.00

pitw

I understand the truck owners position 5shots.  On the other hand my last day in the patch came when the oil company I worked for told me I couldn't carry my gun in "my" truck to do their job.  The landowner where my battery was wanted me shooting coyotes so there was no issue other than they wanted to be dinks and I wouldn't play the game.