• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Three Day Out

Started by JohnP, December 12, 2016, 12:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Please keep in mind that these are just short snippets from a larger story, we/he(dad) goes in detail about the men on the "A" Team, their training,the hardships etc but most of all about closeness of "The Team" and of course the ten days of "fun" in Hong Kong.

We had just returned from a ten day mission, tired, dirty, and ready for some down time. After we were debriefed by the S-2 (Intel) the CO came in and told us "good job" now we got enough hot water for a good long shower, steaks on the grill and cold beer - even if it was Schlitz. He then went on to say that we would have at least two weeks down time before going back out. We all looked at each other and probably had the same thought, "you can eat a lot of steak and drink a lot of beer in two weeks', not to mention chasing the young ladies in DaNang. On the fourth day of "down time" our team sergeant told us that we had a mission coming up and that we were to meet in the SCIF at 1400hrs - don't be late. The Colonel started out with "I know I told you you would have two weeks down time but we need some info ASAP". He then went on to say that the mission was just a look and report, no interaction with Charlie or the NVA -just look and report, easy enough. He also went on to say that when we got back our two weeks of down time would start all over, and he may even be able to schedule a flight to Hong Kong, official business of course. Late that night we were airlifted into a remote area, rappled into a small openning in the jungle canopy and started a march of about 5 miles to our look and report position. Things went well, we saw a lot of activity, reported a bunch of "stuff", even saw some Chinese Officers, plenty of hardware been moved north to south, along with many NVA Troops. Morning of day number three, we gather all our "stuff", compared notes, re-check the maps and head out for our extraction point. Not a bad 3 days in the field and mission is almost over, Hong Hong beware. Our Team Leader, Captain "S" is leading the way, a good officer who will not let an enlisted troop do anything that he himself would not do. He is point man on our return journey, something normally reserved for the junior enlisted man on the team. About 3 miles into the return trip a deafing sound and ground fire is all around us. Captain "S" is thrown into the air and the jungle erupts in chaos. Our Senior Sergeant takes command and directs the fire fight, the team medic and another team member recover our officer and the radio operator calls in a medivac ship and gunships. The sweetest sound in the world is two Cobra's coming in followed by a Huey. All twelve of us got on the Huey, one seriously wounded, two with minor injuries. The Captain survived his wounds and returned to a Special Forces unit upon his release from the hospital, he returned to VietNam for two additional tours and later retired as a Lt Col, a fine officer and a gentleman who I was proud to serve with and will always remember. We buried him last Monday - a victim of cancer - I think he would have chosen to go out in a blaze of gunfire defending his men and the great country that he loved so much.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

centerfire_223

Mr. P, thank you for your service and dedication to our country.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

HuntnCarve

"Thank you" for your service to our country John.  Your actions undoubtedly saved future soldiers lives.  Folks who will be spending Christmas with their families and loved ones.  Hope you and yours have a joyous Christmas.  God  Bless you and yours.

Dave

Hawks Feather

John,

Thanks so much for sharing and even more for your service.  I remember the treatment that some people gave to those who returned from Nam and it wasn't good.  Most of that type of behavior came from larger cities and the east and west coast, but if it is any consolation little northwest Ohio didn't.

Jerry

Okanagan

FinsnFur

Mannn some of the stuff you bring in here John blows my mind. You have been through more and seen more then most people even know exists. I have a level of respect for you that you could never fathom sir.
Thanks for the story.
Rest in peace Captian "S" and thank you too sir.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Thank You for sharing Mr. John!! I too enjoy your posts via your wonderful Daughter & your contributions & sacrifices!! Sorry to hear of your loss as well!! Diane & I wish you & your Family a very Merry CHRISTmas!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

Yes Sir Mr. John, I alway enjoy your post and truly appreciate your service to our country, I very well remember the way some people treated the vets when they returned home and it was a disgrace to America. I had friends and family that served during that time and they were hurt by the actions, just hope to never see that kind of activity again, our vets are special people and should be Honored. God Bless and Merry Christmas to you and your family. cc