• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

It's still too

Started by MI VHNTR, June 12, 2022, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MI VHNTR

salty and why are you looking at me like that?

A deer for comparison.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Okanagan

Good pics.

An old timer told me that the all black moose were better eating than the lighter coloured ones.  That's a pretty dark one in your pics, not quite black but close.  IME the old man was right (with one notable exception).  Pitw and Tikani would have more moose in their culinary memory to compare.  My biggest bull was black as a black bear, every hair jet black.  My lightest coloured one had a blond hump and blond legs. 

nastygunz

I don't recall the color of any moose I have eaten but I do recall it was damn good ! I would take moose over. deer and bear anytime.

MI VHNTR

Sadly, I can only shoot the moose here with a camera. No moose hunting here due to the Michigan Department of No Reason, aka MI DNR, and their crazy "turn the wolves loose and let them kill everything" policy. 
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

nastygunz

FinsnFur

That thing is so huge it makes that deer look like a dog  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Never heard of taste by color but it could be true. :shrug:
I do kow that an old cow with twins can be as good eating as any.  I/we usually only shoot cows and try to shoot young ones as 2 year olds.  Main criteria for whether we shoot or not is how easy will they be to load where they stand. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on June 15, 2022, 11:47:57 AMMain criteria for whether we shoot or not is how easy will they be to load where they stand. 

:highclap:  :laf:  Words of wisdom.

My hardest fell in a tight moose sized depression in a swamp, jammed between two old fallen trees, 400 yards from a road, up and down over a series of steep 40 foot high rock ridges.  OTOH we had one that stepped up off of the road onto a vertical cut bank exactly like a loading dock, one inch higher than our pick up tail gate, and dropped dead on the edge.

As to size, I've never forgotten one of my first moose hunts, still hunting a game trail through some swampy woods, and looked up to notice moose hairs caught on the under side of a pole across the trail that was a little higher than my head.

MI VHNTR

Moose and deer at the salt for an up close size comparison.

It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB