• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

204 ruger

Started by bowslinger, August 10, 2007, 02:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowslinger

i'm thinking about getting one for my new hobby predator hunting any one use it i read about it a little in fur fish game sounds like it may be a good round for light skinned fox and still do the job on coyotes

Hawks Feather

There are a couple of 204 shooters here.  Now we just need to wake up.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

HaMeR

I've only used my 204 on groundhogs but I carry it for coyotes also. The 35gr Bergers seem to be the bullet of choice for coyotes & saving hides. The Sierra BK's have been reported to shoot thru them as they have a slightly thicker jacket from what I've read. I use the 39gr BK's for groundhogs & am quite pleased with the results. This rd tears fox up purdy bad too. There just isn't much there but fur on the little buggers & some have been opened up like a prairie dog. I would opt for the ol 222 for fox or go down o the 221FireBall/22Hornet if coyotes are in the same area. HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

I have a NEF in .204 . I haven't shot it a ton yet, but it seems to shoot the 40 gr. V max pretty well. I like the low recoil, hence, impact through the scope. It only has one coyote under it's belt, so not much first hand experience to give ya there. If ya do some searchin on em, you'll find plenty that like em, and some that don't. So far I give mine  :thumb2: :thumb2:.

Scott
Scott

Pilgrim

I have a .204 in an AR.   Been using it for 1 1/2 seasons now.   Absolutely love it.   I've settled on 40gr berger hp.  By a quick count, I've had/have at least 10 other varmint calibers - They all have their place I guess, but for me, the .204 is awfully hard to beat.

bushmaster

I have had no complaints about my .223 AR.  But the necessity of a certain round can be circumstantial.  What type of terrain do you hunt? and what do you plan on doing with the pelts?  I have begun investing in a 300 whisper after being inspired by CCP but it is notorious for tearing game apart, though consistent in heavy cover.  Like I said, it is all relative.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.