• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Wear That Saftey Belt

Started by weedwalker, September 14, 2008, 02:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

Just a reminder to wear your saftey belt in your tree stand. Your 1st fall could be your last.
[youtube=425,350]aqfkK3h2jqM[/youtube]

Hawks Feather

That is a good reminder, but I sure feel for him.  He does have a positive attitude and that should help.

Jerry

CCP

Back when I deer hunted I started using one around 1985 just for myself no laws ask of it. Around 87 I slipped and fell out of my stand. Glad I had the safety belt on only problem was I had it around my waist thought I would pass out before I got back upright. :biggrin: Still was much better than the alternative.

Wonder if that Account is still open? If it is I will send a few dollars his way.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Quote from: CCP on September 14, 2008, 11:23:39 AM

Glad I had the safety belt on only problem was I had it around my waist thought I would pass out before I got back upright. :biggrin:

Yeah but Mike McCabe and the remaining majority of society dont have a waist line like yours :laf: :laf: :doh2: :huh:

Good clip, nice reminder to all though.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I helped find a guy that I heard on my hand radio a few years ago.......took us 4 hours to find him and him giving us directions between screams.........he broke his back falling from his tree stand and I know it sounds silly but also tell someone where you are before you go!!! That and a safety strap can really save your life...
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

possumal

Good reminder to us all.  Just a minute or two of being careless can cost us for life. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

I just found out tonight that a freind of mine fell out of his stand this past Saturday morning. He broke his back (L-3), his pelvis, and several ribs. He had massive internal bleeding. They put him in a chopper to take him to the hospital because they didn't think he would live long enough for the ambulance ride. They have him stabilized now, but he'll have a long road to recovery.

KySongDog

I ALWAYS wear a safety belt while IN the tree.   But I fell once from about 10 feet while climbing limbs UP TO my fixed position stand.  I landed flat on my back.  It knocked the wind out of me but no damage.  When I looked left I saw a one foot high "punji" stake about a foot from my shoulder that I had unknowingly created when I bow sawed some sapplings to create a shooting lane.   :doh2:   Now I always look around the base of the tree to see what I might hit IF I come down in a hurry.   :whew:

bigben

There was a guy here around home that died about a month ago.  he told his wife he was going to hang his stand when he did not return at dark like he said his brother went looking for him.  found him stiff and cold.  guy had a wife and a lil boy.  what a shame. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

alscalls

Bigest problem is getting in and out.......For example with screw in steps and a giant tree, where do you hook up for the climb? :shrug:
Certain saftey belts will not even hook up to a ladderstand properly for the climb or ya have to un hook mid stride and re atach.
We should put our heads togeather and come up with a new product to solve some of these issues, send it to market and see what happens. :eyebrownod:
Gotta be a market for it and man the lives you could save.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Silencer

( TRUE STORY )

About 8 yrs ago I was an IDIOT and took a good 15 foot fall.  My wife dropped me off and I was to meet her at the road about dark time.  I didnt use the safety strap while climbing.  I got to the top and turned around to hook up the strap and the stand let loose.   The upper half of the stand that you use to climb or rest your gun on caught the tree about 7 foot up and I broke them thick metal bars in two with my chest.  I was never so scaret in my life.  After getting my wind back and checking for broken bones I left equiptment there and managed to walk to the nearest house.  I called my wife and we went right to the emergency room.  2 broken ribs out of the deal.  I still thank god to this day I wasnt killed over my own stupidity. 

Edited to add :  To this day I'm still hearing it from my friends, they also keep trying to sell me a boat with holes in it.  :shrug:

iahntr

I think these here , along with one of the harness vests like pictured on the bottom right, would be the best/safest combination out there. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0032873416873a&navCount=0&podId=0032873&parentId=cat20053&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=null-cat20053&catalogCode=QX&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20053&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=safety%20harness&cm_ite=netcon
the two biggest set backs that I see are the price, and the second, going hand and hand with the first, is that you obviously have to leave it in one tree. I have at least a half doz. different stands that I typically sit in during the season, that's a chunk a change.

BUT, it might be the best money ever spent.  :shrug:
Scott