• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another Bunch of Trap Prep Questions.

Started by Buckrun, September 25, 2008, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckrun

I have dug out all my old traps. I haven't trapped in 25 years. I never have dipped or waxed my traps. They were pretty rusty and dirty so I used my pressure washer to clean them up a bit. I have a gallon of Speed Dip and 4 gallons of camp stove fuel. Will this be enough to dip around 130 traps. They are a mix of #1, 1/12, 110 conabear and some coil spring.

Also years ago I bought a bunch of traps at an auction. Some of those traps have been waxed and there is still some on the traps. Will this cause a problem with speed dip?

Should I wax the traps after speed dipping them? If so what is the pest method of doing the waxing?

One more question. I had to put some new chain on some of the traps. I used the type of chain that is used on dog tie out chains. It is tin coated. Will this cause any kind of reaction with the dip?

Steve

pitw

Steve
   I've never speed dipped so will not misinform you on that.   The ones with the wax on them need to be cleaned off before you can dip or dye .  You can use a wire brush, cement mixer with an abrasive gravel or simply just boil them so the wax melts off. 
    It would depend on what you are going to trap and what kind of traps they are whether you should wax or not.
    The best method I know of for waxing is an electric pot big enough to hold 1 or more trap's at a time.  I set my cooker to 260F so that it doesn't get to hot [wax is dangerous].  Fill pot with wax and when hot put a trap in.  I let my traps heat up before pulling them out and I feel I get a better job.
    No I do not believe the trap chain will effect the operation.
   Good luck
Barry
I say what I think not think what I say.

frshwtr

word to the wise; dont wax the connibears, it makes for sore fingers. if you dip them you might find it handy to carry some sanpaper when setting because now and then you might have to remove the dip fron the jaw where the trigger catches.

Buckrun

Thanks guys.

I also have another question I forgot about. I bought some new snares. I saw on a video, they sugested boiling the traps in water and baking powder or soda can't remember. I also don't remember if they dipped the new snares. Should I speed dip the new snares or use them as is?

Steve

pitw

With new snares I dye mine with logwood dye same as my traps.  Boiling them in baking soda accomplish's the same thing, you want the new shine off of them.
Barry

Coulter

QuoteI have a gallon of Speed Dip and 4 gallons of camp stove fuel. Will this be enough to dip around 130 traps.

If I remember correctly, when I used the speed dip I was mixing a ratio of 2:1, You might need another quart of the speed dip if that doesn't cover all of your traps. It will be close though. I dip all of my body-gripping traps still and have found no ill-effect from it. The only bad part is you probably should have dipped them a a month ago when the temps were still warm, that stuff takes forever to dry.

QuoteAlso years ago I bought a bunch of traps at an auction. Some of those traps have been waxed and there is still some on the traps. Will this cause a problem with speed dip?

Absolutely...The speed dip is not designed to adhere to wax. It is meant to stick to steel. You will need to boil the traps and get all of the wax off of them priori to dipping. If you're using the footholds for K-9'S I would boil them in logwood crystals after you get the wax off then re-wax them after they have taken a good coating of the dye. For coons,  and other non-canines , I'd go with the speed dip.

QuoteShould I wax the traps after speed dipping them? If so what is the pest method of doing the waxing?

While it won't hurt anything, it is really overkill. The speed dip and wax basically serve the same purpose: they both prevent further rusting as well as a sort of camouflage. You can apply wax over speed dip but you can't apply speed dip over wax (not effectively anyway). But again doing this is just overkill and not necessary.

QuoteOne more question. I had to put some new chain on some of the traps. I used the type of chain that is used on dog tie out chains. It is tin coated. Will this cause any kind of reaction with the dip?

It won't cause any sort of reaction, however you probably won't get a very good coating of dip on the chain. It should be a bit on the rusty side for the best application. The smooth surface kind of repels the dip. I hope you ain't thinking of going after any coyotes with that chain :wo:

I don't have much knowledge regarding snares...

Good luck this season...I have some traps of my own to get working on now :eyebrow:

Steve

Buckrun

Quote from: Coulter on September 26, 2008, 04:18:04 PM
QuoteI have a gallon of Speed Dip and 4 gallons of camp stove fuel. Will this be enough to dip around 130 traps.

QuoteIf I remember correctly, when I used the speed dip I was mixing a ratio of 2:1, You might need another quart of the speed dip if that doesn't cover all of your traps. It will be close though. I dip all of my body-gripping traps still and have found no ill-effect from it. The only bad part is you probably should have dipped them a a month ago when the temps were still warm, that stuff takes forever to dry. 

I saw that it is a mix of 1 qt. speed dip to a gallon of fuel.

QuoteAlso years ago I bought a bunch of traps at an auction. Some of those traps have been waxed and there is still some on the traps. Will this cause a problem with speed dip?

QuoteAbsolutely...The speed dip is not designed to adhere to wax. It is meant to stick to steel. You will need to boil the traps and get all of the wax off of them priori to dipping. If you're using the footholds for K-9'S I would boil them in logwood crystals after you get the wax off then re-wax them after they have taken a good coating of the dye. For coons,  and other non-canines , I'd go with the speed dip.

I just finished boiling all my traps. It looks like they came out pretty clean. I will be dipping them tomorrow. Will let you know how that turns out.

QuoteShould I wax the traps after speed dipping them? If so what is the pest method of doing the waxing?

QuoteWhile it won't hurt anything, it is really overkill. The speed dip and wax basically serve the same purpose: they both prevent further rusting as well as a sort of camouflage. You can apply wax over speed dip but you can't apply speed dip over wax (not effectively anyway). But again doing this is just overkill and not necessary.

Thanks I wont be waxing them then. I really didn't want to have to do that.

QuoteOne more question. I had to put some new chain on some of the traps. I used the type of chain that is used on dog tie out chains. It is tin coated. Will this cause any kind of reaction with the dip?

QuoteIt won't cause any sort of reaction, however you probably won't get a very good coating of dip on the chain. It should be a bit on the rusty side for the best application. The smooth surface kind of repels the dip. I hope you ain't thinking of going after any coyotes with that chain :wo:

It is the #1 chain. It is the heavyer type. It looks like the chain on my #1 1/2 and  2  coil spring traps. So far the only traps I needed to use it on are # 1's for muskrats or coon.

QuoteI don't have much knowledge regarding snares...

Good luck this season...I have some traps of my own to get working on now :eyebrow:

I haven't touched these traps in almost 25 years. I almost sold them a couple times. Glad I didn't.

Oh yea I also welded up 75  3/8" rebar stakes today. 50 have a nut welded to the top and 25 are T's They are all 20" long and the T is 5" across. These will be for Coon and smaller critters.

What size rebar and how long should they be for fox and coyote?

Steve

pitw

I use 3/8 rebar 18" long and double stake for coyotes.  Wax will be a good idea if you are going to use antifreeze at your set's.  I wax everything but conibear traps.
Barry

Buckrun

Quote from: pitw on September 26, 2008, 09:07:21 PM
I use 3/8 rebar 18" long and double stake for coyotes.  Wax will be a good idea if you are going to use antifreeze at your set's.  I wax everything but conibear traps.
Barry

3/8" x 18" Good I was afraid they wern't long enough. I welded a 1/2" nut to the top. Then slippen a 3/8" fender washer on the stake. It looked like the snare swivel would slip over the nut.

I just funished speed dipping all the traps. I could see some rust showing through on some of them. So I dipped them again. They looked pretty much dry when I redipped. They looked good after the second dip. I even dipped my stakes. The new snares took a little of the dip and look kind of brown/gray.

My trap tags came in the mail this morning so when the traps are good and dry I'll get them tagged and they will be ready to go.

Steve

Silencer

Years ago we'd boil, dye, and wax at the same time over a fire with a cut 50 gallon drum.  Young maple bark and/or along with sumac ( if you're not allergic ) for the dye.  The wax was a mixture of real bee's wax and the white stuff.. ( forgotten the name )  it would boil down and float atop the barrel so when you boiled and dyed then pulled them out, they were waxed as well.   

Never used the speed dip, heard it works wonders and is easier. 

nailbender

Speed dip on water traps may be OK. Hear of a lot of dug up traps on land. :shrug:

Buckrun

Well two dips, tagged and waiting on them to dry. You can see the new snares hanging in the first picture.

I bought 200 new copper tags with my name address on them. When I finished tagging all the traps I had 3 tags left!

Thought Id show off all my new stakes while I was posting pictures. I dipped them also.

I think I finished diping everything around 10:00 this morning. I can still smell the dip on the traps. I would also like to whine a little about the sun burn I got on my arms from welding in a T shirt. It even went through the shirt and burnt my belly. :sad2:

Steve

pitw

They look real good.  The snares took on some good color eh.  I'd still wax the coyote traps.

FinsnFur

Welding sunburn :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Been there a few times :innocentwhistle:

They look good. Hopefully there'll be pics to come with fur hanging outta the jaws :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I welded once in flip flops  :doh2: so dont feel bad It coulda been your feet....... :laf:
Great job on those traps I wish I were going to trap some but no time this year.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Buckrun

A am planning on getting a digital camera so I can post some pictures of catches. I use my sons camera to take the pictures of the traps.

I really don't have time to trap either. It hit me last night. What if I catch a bunch the first couple nights. I know this area hasn't been trapped in years. It is very possable I may catch more than I can handle at first.

I went and scouted just a short section and saw a lot of sign of muskrat and coon. Saw some good places ot set for mink also.

Season opens here in OH. Nov. 10. I will be getting home from my GA. deer hunt on the 9. So I will be busy setting traps all that week. Then we have inventory at work the 14th. and 15th. So I won't even have the first weekend to get caught up.

Steve