• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Flipped Traps

Started by Leadslinger, February 19, 2009, 06:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leadslinger

I was checking my traps this morning and 2 of my coon sets were flipped over, but not sprung. This is my first year trapping so I don't know much about it, but I've heard that if a trap isn't bedded good then a coyote will dig it up. Is a coyote the only animal that will do this or will a fox or coon do it too?

cathryn

coon will do it too. ive had it done.

when it comes to raccoon the main reason theyre flipping your traps is because it isnt bedded solid.

like coyotes,if theres a little give to it and they feel it, theyll dig it up.

raccoon also like to dig in the loose dirt so that might be how theyre flipping it. ive had it done alot and it just takes pratice and patience to get it right.

godd luck.

Hidehunter

I have had coon do it as well just not as often as the yotes.  One thing that helped me is once the trap is set and bedded good...place a small stick just in front of the jaws so he will step over the jaws and put his foot on the pan.
Denver                                           

Coulter

I've had yotes, fox and coon flip traps on my line. I have found that coon do it more than anything else. If there is any wobble or give to the trap at all the coon (or other critter) gets curious and starts digging. I was always impressed (but ticked off) that something could dig the trap out and flip it over without firing it off. I usually chalk that critter up to seed for next year if I don't catch it in 2-3 days. Good luck...

Steve

Bills Custom Calls

Used to set my fox sets upside down so when they would go to flip them over they would be caught,and about
6-8 inches away I would set one rightside up.I have never caught a double but would have the same animal caught twice made it alot easier to get ahold of it and go for the kill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

alscalls

Set a dirt hole set there and offset to the left......then set a flat rock to the right only do not bed it tight....let it rock some....
pun intended :laf: You will get him :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Coon hunter

A fox will do it some times . I have had many traps flipped By fox . The next time you have it happen Turn it upside down and you will get him .
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .

bigben

definately coon.  they feel it rocking underneath. and like others stated most are curious about it.  normally at dirt holes.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.