• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

3 PACKS OF 6 DOGS

Started by vayotehowler, December 21, 2009, 10:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vayotehowler

HERE IS an article about coyotes in  the roanoke times in roanoke va. Have better luck getting people to let hunt deer than yotes any ideas. here is the article
Coyotes roam Botetourt area
The animals are more of a threat to livestock and pets than they are to humans, but residents are concerned nonetheless.
By Rex Bowman
  777-3523

Photo courtesy of Heath Baker

Reports indicate the coyote population is increasing in the Greenfield section of Botetourt County.
Coyotes are increasingly on the prowl in the expanding suburban Greenfield community of Botetourt County, but state game officials say there's little they can do but encourage residents to hunt down the animals.

"Coyotes are everywhere," said Tony McFadden, game warden in Botetourt. "People are welcome to go out there and hunt the animal and harvest as many as they want. And if they don't hunt, they can try to find a friend who does hunt."

The lack of state and county involvement -- county officials refer complaints about coyotes to McFadden -- has frustrated Greenfield resident Jinny Boxley, who said coyotes have attacked her dog twice.

Boxley, who has lived in the community since 2001, said she's noticed a burgeoning coyote population over the past five years, with two coyote packs and possibly a third now roaming the fringes of the community. Boxley said up to six coyotes run in each pack, and she considers them a potential threat to residents, students at Greenfield Elementary School and anyone who uses the nearby park and trails.

"For five years I've been concerned -- nobody seems to be doing anything about it," she said.

Boxley invited coyote trapper Heath Baker onto her small farm, and Baker said he has caught and killed a half-dozen coyotes in the past two weeks but has made no dent in the population. "I could trap for two years and not catch half of them," he said. "It's getting worse every year."

Baker said he sells the hides for $20 and up.

The state considers coyotes a nuisance species and allows residents to hunt them. While some counties have bounties on coyotes to encourage residents to shoot them, Botetourt does not. Experts believe bounties do no good anyway, because coyotes react to declining populations by producing bigger litters.

McFadden said coyotes are skittish of humans and represent no real threat to them; coyotes prefer to target injured or smaller animals.

Baker agreed that coyotes are more of a threat to small livestock than people, but said they can still frighten folks not accustomed to them.

"I've been out in the woods and they'll surround me," he said. "It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck."

John_NY

Sounds like it would be a fun place to be hunting or would it be target shooting.  :eyebrownod:

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

vayotehowler

I called the lady twice and she never called back. I went close to that area one night about 11pm and called but never saw or heard anything . might go back tonight with snow on ground and call. still ahve no access to land there yet , gonna put some signs at convenience store in the area, lots of farms out that way
I cant believe having better luck getting permision to kill deer over  coyotes  :shrug: :confused:

FinsnFur

You have to keep in mind and wonder both, what kind of people actually wrote that up.
You know kinda like when your talking to someone that doesn't hunt and they seen a deer on the side of the road. It's always the biggest deer they ever seen.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com