• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Trip update...

Started by Coulter, January 22, 2010, 08:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

These waters are nothing like my home waters of Lake Erie...they are downright intimidating! We hunted all day yesterday and my buddy got one immature surf scoter. I lost a scoter and a bufflehead to the tide. We don't have to contend with the tide back home.

After having the crap scared out of me at low tide we finally set up in a different spot on a small island as the tide came back in. The island was about 40 yds in diameter when we set up. By the time the tide reached its peak it was only maybe 10 yards in diameter. I didn't bag any birds, but still had a great time...though very humbling.

Today I sit in my truck watching and waiting. We have 25+ mph winds and I just don't have the balls to take my little boat out into that yet. I don't need a bird that bad. Unfortunately, the same is forecast for tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I'll get some of the pics I got posted up when I get back.

Steve

pitw

Steve I'm glad it's you there :shrug:.  I'd probably wimp out 5 miles from the shore :doh2:.  Thanks for the update, stay safe and Have fun :readthis:.
Barry
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

As long as you're still having fun!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

QuoteThe island was about 40 yds in diameter when we set up. By the time the tide reached its peak it was only maybe 10 yards in diameter.

Uuhhmmmm  :confused:  Any idea where the ground went??  :shrug:   :sad3: :sad3:

:roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

....sent from front seat of my truck on the Blackberry :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

We weren't 5 miles off shore Barry...we did a lot of motoring around in the boats but there was always land within sight. The last day we motored out about 2 miles into a mix of islands. Of course if anything went wrong we would have been camping on one of the islands. Not anything either one of us cared to think about doing.

QuoteUuhhmmmm  confused  Any idea where the ground went??

High tide Glenn...when the tide comes in it has a tendency to flood small islands like the one we  were on until there is almost nothing there. Pretty dangerous for bigger boats if they don't know they're there.

Quotesent from front seat of my truck on the Blackberry
What can I say...I'm not taking my boat into a 25+ mile an hour wind :nofgr: There ain't a bird out there worth dying for :shrug:

FinsnFur

No I was laughing at what you were going through to get us the update. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com