• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Primer Blowout

Started by Carolina Coyote, February 19, 2011, 05:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

Yesterday I was sighting in a rifle for a friend, after running through the Ammo he provided I got some ammo that has been sitting on the self for several years but always in controlled temperature, After firing several shot with some of this ammo I noticed that the case was hard to extract but this being factory ammo I did not think I was having over pressure problems then the next shot smoke boiled out of the receiver and I could not extract the case after tapping with a hammer and removing the bolt I could see that the primer was blown, I then went to another box that had never been opened and fire a shot, same thing smoke and had to tap the bolt out with a hammer. needless to say I did not shoot anymore. Any of you guy ever had Primer problems with Factory Ammo or does anyone have any idea was going on here? cc

Mallardsr

Of the 5 spent cases on left in 1st pic from right to left it looks like the pressure signs gradually increase. If not stated as factory, I would swear it was a incremental load workup..?????? :confused:

Hawks Feather

It is really hard to say from looking at the pictures, but it does look like the primers have flattened out which is a sign of high pressure.  Did the firing pin puncture the primer on the other two?

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

The Primer evaporated on the two that blew out, there was nothing left to examine, The Primers on the other are flat and even the face appears to have pressure marks. I have sent Remington a Email as I would like to send the remaining Ammo back yo them for analyst, Yes it was pretty scary, and I hope it did not damage the rifle? cc

pitw

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on February 20, 2011, 08:35:34 AMI have sent Remington a Email as I would like to send the remaining Ammo back yo them for analyst,

I bet if you sent them a lawyer you'd get a better response. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

A couple questions ....

Did the ammo happen to be hot temperature wise?

Were you shooting one right after another w/o sufficient time for the barrel to cool?

Carolina Coyote

VV The Ammo was not Hot, and the Barrel was not hot. I had been shooting but allowing time for the barrel to cool.

Barry, I'm sure a Lawyer could get their attention but I really can't say that its the ammo right now.