• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Coo Coo Ca Choo

Started by Yotehntr, July 30, 2011, 10:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Talking Walrus Ivory here... I took my family on a trip to Gatlinburg TN this past winter.  They have a loop of stores (yeah fun) but there was a little knife shop   :) I finally got to look at some stuff! LOL They had Ivory carvings all around ... I looked at the stuff in the floor! There it was, a piece of ancient walrus tusk... I was hoping for a deal but paid the same price I've seen it on the net. :(   The barrel of this call is Red Morrel, with an ancient Walrus Tusk Ivory bead.  It is followed with an o-ring fitted  Hippo Ivory toneboard.

The ancient Walrus Ivory Tusk. (I didn't buy the whole piece)

I bought this 2" long piece... Here it's on the bandsaw about to cut it round...

Here I've cut it:

Turned it to dimension:

The call put together:

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

Looks like it was pretty good sized in it's original form. Were they willing to cut you off the two inch piece, or did they have more to choose from?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

He cut 2" off of that one in the 1st pic.  Walrus Ivory has some odd "marbling?" on the inside.  Doesn't seem as hard as hippo.

John_NY

That sure is pretty. Your calls are amazing.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Hawks Feather

Great looking call right there.

Jerry

Todd Rahm

Cool, and as usual beautiful.

I scanned your avatar too. Nicely done.  :wink:

FOsteology

I always enjoy looking at the calls you create.
I also appreciate the fact that you make your own tone boards.
With the advent of molded tone boards readily available (and reasonably cheap), not many call makers remaining that take the time and effort to create their own.
Makes a world of difference IMHO.

coyote101

Beautiful call Brad. How many calls will you get out of that two inch piece of ivory?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Yotehntr

Thanks guys!!!

LOL Yeah the idea struck on the QR code Todd... couldn't resist giving it a try.  :wink:

FOs Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if folks pick up on that with the toneboards.  Nice to know it's noticed, Thanks!

Pat I've never really figured on that... I'll loose a little to squaring up and the kerf.... I probably use about 7/16" for each call.

BigB

Looks great as always Brad.  I worked with a little walrus ivory a few years ago.  And mine had a little of that marbelling in it too.  Not as much as yours, but a good amount.  Really neat material to work with as well.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech