• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I'm Back.... and Broke

Started by FOsteology, June 19, 2012, 11:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Mrs. Fost had me take the family to Kauai. Beautiful island, but ridiculously expensive. Waimea Canyon and the Na'Pali Coast were spectacular.

A tremendous amount of pictures to sort through. As with any vacation... considerable work to catch up on upon return. A few pictures to follow later in the week.

Even have a couple videos of the hula dancers.  :eyebrow:

Hawks Feather

Of the islands, Kauai was our favorite.  Looking forward to the pictures.

Jerry

FinsnFur

:eyebrownod: I spent two weeks there when was younger. My grandparents lived there most of their lives. My mothers second marriage, the kids all got Hawaiian names.
I liked it then but your right it is scarey expensive.
Cant wait to see some of the pics. Maybe I'll recognize some things.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Glad you made a good trip, Fos.  Looking forward to the pictures.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

Cool deal FOs!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!!!!! 

And of course the hula dancers videos as well!!  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Ladobe

Glad you had a great and safe trip FOs... I too will be looking forward to the pictures for old times sake.

Kaua'i is very beautiful (although it wasn't the last time I was there about 3 months after Hurricane Iniki destroyed much of it in '92) .      My favorite was always Maui though, why I had a second home there for some years.

FWIW, a trick learned early on about Hawai'i in general... spend your money where the local do, not the tourists - food, clothes, etc and it's not as expensive as most people think it is.   Going to tourist traps can't always be avoided to see it all there, but you can get much better prices and for better quality if you know where to go even near them.   That even applies to Waikiki, the traditional bigget tourist trap in Hawai'i.   Our favorite resturant on Waikiki with exceptional food was a half block from the beach and Hilton Hawaiian Village (were we always stayed when in Honolulu), was on Saratoga (a small side street) that always had excellent service and food for 1/3rd or less of the cost of most of the eateries on Waikiki.   An exception for general shopping in that area, the Ala Moana Center just a stones throw northwest of Waikiki.   But buying at local companies near where residents live away from tourist spots is the most cost effective, often with prices no higher or less than on the main land back home.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FOsteology

I lived on Oahu for 3.5 years in the mid 70's.
Kauai has a much different feel and vibe. Some day I would absolutely love to visit Maui. Especially in the "winter" for the whale watching tours.

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Resort. Absolutely stunning. 17 acres of manicured lawns and tropical plants/flowers. Their pools (both salt and fresh water) are fantastic. The kids absolutely feel in love with the Hyatt's salt water lagoon.

We sprung for a helicopter tour of the island. Unfortunately, with reflections and dirty glass on the chopper, the pictures are not as good as I would have liked.

Waimea Canyon is Hawaii's "Grand Canyon". Sits approx. 3400 feet above sea level. Extensive hiking trails. My daughter and I explored the area on foot two separate days.

Second to the last day we took a catamaran tour of the Na'Pali Coast. Unfortunately, the day was overcast and we experienced some periods of rain. So the pictures aren't as vibrant. The coast is breath taking!

Along the way, we dropped anchor and snorkeled along the reefs. I wish I had a camera that works underwater. The sheer number of tropical fish with vibrant colors was unbelievable. We also saw a couple sea turtles. Several times along the way we encountered dolphins off the bow of the catamaran.

Suffice to say, it was a wonderful trip and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with the kids (daughter turns 21 this Oct., oldest boy 17 next month, and 250Savage is 14).

Okanagan

What a great time to have with kids old enough to appreciate it and enjoy it with you, likely one of the last times to do it as a family together.  I'd love the snorkeling you describe.    Choices well spent.  Good for you!

JohnP

Thanks for the pictures Fos.  Indeed it does look like you had a great time.  A few years back we went to Maui for a week and enjoyed our time there with the kids and grandkids. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

Beautiful place to be!! Thanks for sharing your trip FOs!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Those pics are absolutely majestic :congrats: Thanks for sharing them. Your jarring my memory, I can remember swimming with the bright yellow fish, and blue ones, etc. Your right that was a treat in itself.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Very nice !
The helicopter ride would definitely be cool !
Scott

Dave

Wow that looks like an incredible place to vacation with the family.  Great pictures.

Ladobe

Great pics FOs, thanks for posting them.   Sure brings back some wonderful memories.     

Not to vacation though, in part rather to hunt for these for the Bishop Museum in Honolulu... unsuccessfully I might add.   First one was found on Kaua'i in 1896, second not until 1961, thought extinct until rediscovered in 1998 (four years after my last trip to the island).   Even though only recorded from two very small areas, to date, in the 116 years since the first was collected only about a dozen have been recorded.   Very little is known about them despite a lot of organized efforts to study them, especially since the 1920's.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus