• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New Shotgun Barrel

Started by weedwalker, November 06, 2012, 03:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I wasn't happy with my old shotgun barrel. I had gotten it cut down to 20" and re-threaded for chokes. It was shooting pretty good patterns but I just didn't like the way that the chokes fit into it. So I bought a Carlsons 18 1/2" chrome lined replacement barrel with screw in chokes for my Rem 870. Took it out this afternoon to check the pattern with the Carlsons Coyote choke in it. I shot BBs and 4 BUCK at 30, 40, and 50 yards. The BBs did good but the 4 BUCK didn't do so good. I'll be hunting with BBs though so it will be OK.
The targets are 24" X 24" paper with an 8" circle.

30 yd BB. 18 hits in circle, 54 out

30 yd 4 BUCK. 9 hits in circle, 20 out

weedwalker

40 yd BBs, 9 hits in circle, 43 out

40 yd 4 BUCK, 2 hits in circle, 15 out

weedwalker

50 yd BBs. 8 hits inside circle, 31 out

50 yd 4 BUCK. 2 hits inside circle, 15 out

riverboss

BB look good Ed, Im suprised the buck wasnt better.

FinsnFur

Very interesting! Hey thanks for posting that.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rich

The 30 yard patterns are OK, but the 40 yard patterns are pretty thin. It does take a lot of time and effort to find a good choke/load combo, but I find it worth the trouble.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

weedwalker

Yeah Rich, I'm dissapointed with the patterns I got. I wasn't bragging on them, just posting what they did. I've got several other chokes I'm going to try before I give up on it. It's just gonna be 2 weeks before I can do it because of my job.

Rich

Quote from: weedwalker on November 07, 2012, 08:10:34 PM
Yeah Rich, I'm dissapointed with the patterns I got. I wasn't bragging on them, just posting what they did. I've got several other chokes I'm going to try before I give up on it. It's just gonna be 2 weeks before I can do it because of my job.
-----------------------
Yes, I understand where you are coming from. If your new barrel is standard Remington bore diameter, a .675 tube from Kicks would likely place you in the ball park for #4 BUCK. Good luck sir.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

weedwalker

Got out to shoot a little more this afternoon. I started out with tighter chokes. But the more I opened up with the chokes, the tighter my patterns got. Just the opposite of what you think they would do. I settled with a Modified Rem-Choke. It's shooting about a 20" pattern at 40 yards. A little high, but knowing that I can correct for it. The circle is only about 6", smaller than a paper plate. The big hole was not the wad, just 4 or 5 shot hitting close together. I saw the wad fly out about 30 yards.

FinsnFur

Thats not a Obama / Biden poster in the back is it? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 20, 2012, 09:52:26 PM
Thats not a Obama / Biden poster in the back is it? :laf:

I couldn't find any of those Jim. :nono: But it is some democrate ladys sign that I found. :biggrin:

CCP

QuoteThats not a Obama / Biden poster in the back is it?

Jim I thought it might be his Obama sign when I seen he was shooting a target that is in the back of his truck. :laf:

Then I seen it was Weedwalker and figured he was shooting a democrap sign in the back of someone else truck. :innocentwhistle:

Good pattern there Ed. I still think you should shoot 2 cases of dead coyote loads through that barrel to break you it in.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net