• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ramps

Started by msmith, March 31, 2021, 07:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

Sautéing ramps in butter for my omelette. Momma is ticked lol. I love these things and get kinda excited when it's that time of year.

Hopefully today I can smoke/dehydrate some for seasoning.  :eyebrow:

Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

Yummm!  I love me a good omelette.

FinsnFur

SSSStill never had those things :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Okay, I'll bite, what the hell are ramps?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on April 03, 2021, 03:16:52 PM
Okay, I'll bite, what the hell are ramps?

Thanks!  Didn't want to show my ignorance and embarrass myself by asking.  :shrug:

JohnP

At my age, I don't get easily embarrassed anymore.

nastygunz

"Commonly known as ramp, ramps, ramson, wild leek, wood leek, or wild garlic) is a North American species of wild onion widespread across eastern Canada and the eastern United States"

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on April 04, 2021, 01:22:02 AM
"Commonly known as ramp, ramps, ramson, wild leek, wood leek, or wild garlic) is a North American species of wild onion widespread across eastern Canada and the eastern United States"

Thanks, I was one of the ones who had no clue.  But it was a good pic of it.

JohnP

So what does it taste like wild onion or wild garlic?

nastygunz

JohnP  do you know what a fiddlehead is  :biggrin:

nastygunz

In my neck of the woods we call ramps wild onions.

JohnP

Yeah I do had a boy from upstate NY in our unit who was always talking about how good they were.

nastygunz

Up in these parts fiddleheads and dandelion greens are a popular spring menu item after a long winter.

msmith

Quote from: JohnP on April 04, 2021, 02:15:03 PM

So what does it taste like wild onion or wild garlic?

To answer your question...Yes but about 10 times more pungent.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

msmith

Ramps are kind of a wild leek. We have wild onions so around here we just call them ramps. They have a flavor that is somewhat like a cross of a garlic and an onion but is, no exaggeration, about 10 times more pungent. When I cook them it's either outside or I open windows in the house to get a cross breeze to air it out before my wife gets home. Ramps are prized because they are about the first green thing to pop up in the spring and people are craving fresh veggies. Ramps are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of plant. If you are in a room or a vehicle when someone has been eating them, the only way you'll be able to stand it is to eat one yourself. When I eat them, I usually reserve it for a time when I won't be in public for a day to give them time to wear off. If I eat them for breakfast I stay away from gatherings like church until the next day but will go to the store.

Funny story. A few years ago, my son, The Big Dawg, was getting a Golden Horseshoe. https://wvde.state.wv.us/goldenhorseshoe/about.html Since it was on a Tuesday and at the state capital where I don't know anybody, I decided to take off work Monday too and cook me up some ramps while the rest of the family was at school. So me being a big breakfast fan fixed me up a little 6 or 8 egg omelette complete with mushrooms, swiss cheese, and loaded with ramps. Well them eggs, and the ramps got to working on me. By the time we got to our motel Monday night my stummy got to churgling and gassin' me up pretty good. It was bad... I coulda made a dog on a gut wagon puke and the next day we saw more people we knew than if I had been hanging out at the Dairy Queen in my small town of less than a thousand. My... Wife... Was... Ticked. Other than having to endure gas that rivaled something from one of Sadaam Hussain's missles, Big Dawg thought it was funny.

This was breakfast yesterday. Cheap bacon I bought from an FFA auction, and eggs and ramps cooked in the bacon grease.
I have learned that these most definitely can be enjoyed without ramifications if done in moderation.

Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

JohnP

Now that is a good-looking breakfast and thanks for the story.  However, I do take a bit of exception with "Cheap bacon I bought from an FFA auction".  I spent about four years in the FFA in the '50s and nothing we did or sold was cheap.

P.S. That looks more like fried fiddlehead than ramps.

msmith

Quote from: JohnP on April 05, 2021, 11:02:55 AM
Now that is a good-looking breakfast and thanks for the story.  However, I do take a bit of exception with "Cheap bacon I bought from an FFA auction".  I spent about four years in the FFA in the '50s and nothing we did or sold was cheap.

P.S. That looks more like fried fiddlehead than ramps.

I was being facetious with the cheap. I buy a bacon every year at the Ham, Bacon, & egg sale and a lamb at the fair to support the kids. I did get off pretty easy this year at $45/pound for the bacon. Most were going $50+. It's a good program and most of the kids put the money towards tech school or college. Both of my boys had steers and hogs for the sales.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

I was an FFA kid!

msmith

Quote from: nastygunz on April 05, 2021, 01:17:00 PM
I was an FFA kid!
Me too. I had market hogs and was on the land judging team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

If you had one of those FFA jackets you scored  the ladies back in the day  :yoyo: :biggrin:  The lady who ran the program at our school just passed away at 81 years old. She moved from Vermont and was living out in New Mexico working with Native American people for the last 40 years.