• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Shooting Sticks or Bipod...

Started by Coulter, June 26, 2007, 05:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Rich and the gang:  Here is a series of pictures showing how I use the Stoney Point bipod sticks. First picture shows the rifle resting by itself. You can't do that with a monopod. Second picture shows use sitting on a cushion. Third picture shows sitting on a folding stool. Fourth picture shows using it as a monopod for a quick shot you come across on way to stand. Fifth picture shows using it as a monopod with both legs together (twice as strong as one leg). Sixth picture shows standing up using as a tall bipod, much steadier than a monopod. Seventh picture shows how tall a two legged monopod it can be (Right at 6 ft.). Eighth picture shows how I carry it with the parachute cord strap and a rubber band around the bottom, ready to use for a kneeling monopod shot or break the rubber band or remove it, and change to a bipod use.  I have wrapped the upper, non movable sections with green felt, secured with camo tape, making it much more comfortable to hold in extreme cold and making it quieter for transport on a sneak. As Bugs Bunny would say, "That's all folks". :yoyo:

IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Possumal/StoneyPointsticks004.jpg[/IMG]

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

Good idea about wrapping the top section. :wo: I like those summer hunting shoes too.  :yoyo: They do sell camo socks too you know. :eyebrownod:

possumal

Quote from: weedwalker on June 29, 2007, 10:53:34 AM
Good idea about wrapping the top section. :wo: I like those summer hunting shoes too.  :yoyo: They do sell camo socks too you know. :eyebrownod:
I was just signing on to modify my post to keep your wise butt from making some smart comment about the poor old possum, wearing sissy sandals and white socks after a foot operation yesterday.  I am surprised you didn't jump on how fat I look there, you hairy faced, weed walking fool you! You knew I had to pull those camo clothes on over other clothes to take those pictures, but you show no mercy, even on a buddy.  Just remember, paybacks are hell!   :roflmao: :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

Quote from: possumal on June 29, 2007, 11:09:26 AM
wearing sissy sandals and white socks after a foot operation yesterday. 
I can understand why you're wearing them on one foot, but your just a sissy for wearing one on your other foot. :roflmao: :roflmao:

possumal

You got me on that one, Weedwalker!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That will add to the severity of the payback though, so beware of the old possumal. He might jump out of a tree on your sorry butt right at daylight.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

Great pics, Al!  Pics are definitely worth more than words.   :congrats:

Ya might consider a face mask to go with those shoes though.   Ya don't want to scare off the yotes (as well as us FnF'rs)    :roflmao:

Just kidding.  I hope I look that good when I get THAT old.   :roflmao:  :roflmao:   :biggrin:

possumal

Quote from: Semp on June 29, 2007, 01:35:42 PM
Great pics, Al!  Pics are definitely worth more than words.   :congrats:

Ya might consider a face mask to go with those shoes though.   Ya don't want to scare off the yotes (as well as us FnF'rs)    :roflmao:

Just kidding.  I hope I look that good when I get THAT old.   :roflmao:  :roflmao:   :biggrin:

O.K. Semp, you've joined the ranks with old Fuzzy Faced Weedwalker, and have a payback coming.  :laf: I have a burlap bag that will cover me pretty good, with eye holes, a nose hole, and a mouth hole, but somebody might think I'm trying to start some new secret society or something. :roflmao:  As far as the age part goes, if I get up in the morning and I'm still on the right side of the grass, I feel like I have it made these days. Darn, I hate hot weather!!  I do hope the pictures showed the versatility of the long sticks. The way I carry them, they are the first thing I can get real quick if the need arises, and I keep them the right length to make a perfect kneel down monopod. It is just a stronger monopod with two legs. :yoyo:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

Quote from: possumal on June 29, 2007, 07:33:21 PM

It is just a stronger monopod with two legs.

You might have a good idea there Al,  :wo:  A Mono-pod with two legs  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I couldn't help it. I know you meant with the legs together  :roflmao:

possumal

Quote from: weedwalker on June 30, 2007, 03:55:51 AM
Quote from: possumal on June 29, 2007, 07:33:21 PM

It is just a stronger monopod with two legs.

You might have a good idea there Al,  :wo:  A Mono-pod with two legs  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I couldn't help it. I know you meant with the legs together  :roflmao:

Hmmmmmm. That means you knew it is not a bipod until you spread the legs out. High intelligence personified, you fuzzy faced rascal :roflmao:  You probably had your mind on other legs. :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

I have no use for a bi-pod that attaches to forend of my rifle. It would be too slow getting the rifle into shooting position on running coyote at close range. I almost have never used shooting sticks either. I understand the value of shooting sticks out in open country with no tree, rock or anything else  solid, that I can  use as a back rest when I park my butt down on a calling stand. I call from sitting position with my left knee up.  Resting my left elbow on my leg makes a really handy rifle rest.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

possumal

Hey Rich: That is why I wanted that seat we put together at your place. My low back won't let me sit long and certainly not as still as you need to be with nothing to rest my back against.  Even without the seat though, I could never get anywhere near as steady using my knee or knees as a rest compared to these particular sticks.  Of course, that is more important on the longer shots than under 100 yds.  A lot of the country I hunt up here in "Kaintucky" gives you longer shots which I like.  Probably a throw back to my groundhog hunting days, where distance with accuracy is what we worked on all the time.  A good range finder is of great importance. I always use the few minutes of quiet time when I first sit down to range several landmarks of the area I am watching in case the long shot is what presents itself.  These sticks are so quick to adjust to whatever terrain you are on and that is one of my main likes about them.  I am 100% in agreement with you on attached bipods though, as they just don't fit my methods. If I was hunting a lot of flat country and doing a lot of prone shooting, I am sure they would be fine.  Another good product for the guys who want to use their knee came out of turkey hunting equipment development. I think it is Hunters Specialties that makes a padded "V" shaped knee pad that works like a worker's knee pads, allowing you to rest your rifle in it, and have your hands free for using binocs, etc. There are a lot of strokes for different folks available, which keeps it interesting. :yoyo:  We have lots of trees to rest your back against up this way, and I usually use just a bunsaver type cushion, and don't need the seat apparatus.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff