• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Some questions about Fox

Started by browning204, October 04, 2006, 07:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Some of you might have read that I shot my first fox yesterday, well it got me thinkin and here are my questions.

Does anyone know what the typical family group is of a fox as far as #'s ?

How often can a spot be hunted without overhunting it?

What are the main differences between hunting coyotes Vs. Fox (stand length, Educating, tricks)

Any help will be Greatly appreciated!!!!!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

keekee

Most of the Foxes we have called here come in as singles. Very seldom do we ever call a double on Foxes.

I do most of my fox calling at night, but we do call a few in the daytime during coyote stands. More Reds during the day than Grey's.

Grey's can be a blast at night, we use to be able to kill 10 or more in a good night of calling, now we are lucky to call 1-2 a night. Coyotes and decease have been hard on them the last few years.

If I am going to target Grey's the JS Grey Fox Pup Dist is about as good as it gets! Any good Bird sounds...yellowhammer woodpecker is good, or young cottontail sounds are good for both Reds and Grey's.

Grey foxes seem to like the thicker brush areas, and Reds like the more open farm lands here.

When calling Grey foxes at night I keep my stands short, 10 min stands. If no foxes show I am out of there and moving on. For Reds I stay 15-20 min and I move. I run my stands about 1/2 mile apart.

As for over calling, reds are easy to over call, Grey's I don't worry about. If I am targeting reds I wont call a area more than once a month. For Grey's, I have called one spot and killed a Grey, then come back a couple Hrs later and call in another one in the same spot and killed it. I will call a good Grey area till it does not produce for me anymore. Then back off for a couple weeks and hit it again.

Grey's are very bold! They will run right over top of you as to were Reds will lay back and even use the wind. Reds tend to hang out at 100 yards and circle down wind. ( Sometimes) Other times they come right to the call. I called one on video last year to with in 8 yards of the camera, then let it walk. I had a 22-250 and at 8 yards it would of been a mess!

Here is a old pic of a few Grey's.......Oh, the good ol days!

Brent

browning204

Thanks KeeKee, as always great info! You say call a grey area until it don't produce then back off for a couple weeks. Will OTHER greys take over that area or territory as coyotes will do??  The spot where I shot this one is private property and I am pretty sure nobody hunts it other than a couple of Deer hunters so I want to keep it productive for myself.

Thanks again for the info..........
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

keekee

Well, we hunted for numbers then, and sold the fur. We would hit a area hard then back off when we started getting blank stands. Sometimes when we returned a couple weeks later would could call more in, and other times it would be the next year before the area produced again.

But a good fox area seemed to produce every year for us.

Brent

bigben

if there was fox in a area other foxs will move in for the same reasons.  also I know around here if you can find areas with easy access to water it seems to hold more fox.  greys like areas that are very thick.  reds seem to like the wide open areas fields and such.  allmost any place in mountianous areas that has a good supply of cover and food along with water is where you will find em.  go after em at night and I gaurantee that your heart will be pumpin.  another thing a shotgun loaded down with 4 shot to BB shot is bad medicine on foxs in thick cover.  most of the shots in my grey fox areas are 30-40 yds anyhow.  good luck and get out after them ghosts.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.