• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Who's your friends?

Started by Bopeye, March 09, 2008, 09:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

I'm gonna tell you a little story and then maybe relate a few things.

There once was a baby bird that was growing tired of waiting on his mother to come to the nest with some food. As each minute passed by he grew more and more impatient. He finally decided to climb up on the edge of the nest to see if he could see any sign of his mother. He was very unsteady and he fell from the nest.

He landed in the middle of a cow pasture and was immediately overwhelmed by feelings of fear, cold and loneliness. While he was lying there lamenting his situation, he didn't even notice a cow had wondered close to him. Within moments he felt himself being covered in a nasty mess that was falling from the sky. It kept piling on to the point the little bird thought he might die, but suddenly it quit. After regaining his composure he realized he was completely covered in cow crap. That cow caring about nothing but his own need to crap had dumped his entire load upon him. The little bird was furious!!! After a moment or so though, the little bird began to notice something. He noticed that he wasn't nearly as cold as he had been, nor was he as frightened. The warm, thick crap had actually warmed him up and given him some sense of well being.

Moments passed as the little bird contemplated his new situation. In the meantime, there was a cat sneaking up on the little bird. Just as the little bird was feeling quite comfortable, the cat sprung upon the little bird digging him out of the pile of crap and promptly eating him.

The Moral: Those who crap on you aren't always your enemies. Those who dig you out of crap aren't always friends.

I have made many friends on the predator boards over the last 8 or 9 years of visiting them. I first joined the "Shade Tree" (where I met CH1) then there was "Posse Country", then "Coyote Gods", then "Predator Masters" , " Fins and Fur" and now there's a whole bunch of 'em. Each have had their place and each served a purpose. I know I am a lot better coyote hunter for having belonged to each of them. Got to meet a bunch of good people and hunt with several of them.
Having said that, these boards are not my life and make up a very small part of my coyote hunting "experience". These boards are my enjoyment, just like coyote hunting is my pleasure.
I refuse to take this crap too serious or the people that think they are so great. All of us put our pants on the same way and I will never be impressed with another man. It doesn't matter to me what he has done or who he is......in some cases "in who he THINKS he is".

The biggest problem with these boards are people taking it too serious and themselves too serious. If we really can't disagree and give each other some grief, well then what's the point? You really want to be like "Mother Russia" and let them dictate for you what you will think, write, say, feel, etcetera...............????  NOT ME BABY!!! It's not in me to take that anymore.  The so called big time boys in this game aren't a hair on the butt of some of the real deals, but they have people so deceived that folks can no longer think or see for themselves.

IF me posting what I think or feel makes me an outcast in the coyote hunting world, then so be it. At least I can look at the man in the mirror in the mornings and like who's looking back at me. I will not kiss the hind end of anyone, but I will back those in the right. I know several think I'm wrong........it's all about perspective.
Our perception is our reality.

IF I NEVER CAME TO ANOTHER PREDATOR FORUM I WOULD NOT CARE!! I can take 'em or leave 'em.

Having said that. I'll be here until Jimbo kicks my rear out of here or I kick my own rear out...........whichever comes first.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Quote from: Bopeye on March 09, 2008, 09:00:27 PM

Having said that. I'll be here until Jimbo kicks my rear out of here or I kick my own rear out...........whichever comes first.
  :wink:

At'll be a loooong time coming Bud. Capitolism plays no role in the relationship tween you and I  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

WOW!! Thats an impressive way to get to the boss for a Mod job Bop!! That's one helluva interview right there!!  :wink:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :yahoo: :yahoo: :laugh2: :laugh2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

You know I'm funnin ya Bop!!  :eyebrownod:  I really like this place too!! I especially like the way the Mods give folks "Just enough rope".  :eyebrownod:  That's the way I like to Moderate too.  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

Mod Job???

And have to call Champion something like "Boss" or "sir".................. I'd just soon swallow a turd sideways......... :eyebrownod:

I made myself a promise in bootcamp..........I would never have a "Yank" for a boss again......... :nono:  Now I'm kidding.
I like most of you yanks........maybe I'll own a couple some day.  :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Not this one Reb!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

studabaka

By the same token, friends are not defined by thinking the same about all things. True friends have a bond that is deeper than the petty bickerings of a board. If they thought the same about everything they would be more clones than friends. The strength of a friendship can be seen more clearly by how they respect and support each other though they may disagree. It has a mutual respect and a desire for the others success even if they disagree on how best to achieve that. True respect does not mean they tell you what you want to hear or that they agree with all you do. True friends tell each other what they truly think without fear that doing so will hurt their friendship. Friendship without truth really isn't frienship at all.

soooo...... when ya encounter guys you thought were your friends telling ya something other than your poop don't stink...... they just might be  :wink:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

THO Game Calls

I come from a military back ground.  21 years in the Marine Corps taught me that there is one trait a man must have above all others.

Loyalty.

I know I can count on you when times are good or things are going your way.

But can I count on you when times are tough or the road ahead seems full of pot holes?

And if I even have to ask that question, then the answer is already clear.

Stu - I respect you, admire you, and even like you. 

But I think, your loyalties lie somewhere else.   

I agree the petty bickering between boards and people is - well - petty.

But there are some here who have been slandered, libeled, hurt financially and continue to this day to be bad mouthed by those you call your friends.  And I think it clouds the way you look at some of us.  Which is sad, because you are a member of our family here on FnF, but I get the feeling, you dont like some of us very much, and even look down upon us because we harbor ill feelings towards those you have made alliances with.  We chose our sides long ago when this board was formed.  Some by choice, some by necessity.  I think it is time for you to do the same.

Just the way I see it - and only a friend would tell you to your face.

AL
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

DirtyDog

Bopeye brother........you know what I have been through lately. I have sat on the fence for a LONG time, maybe too long. And as another person said on the board......"sometimes, it's the ones who sit on the fence that you can't trust". Those who know me have always know my intentions have always been honorable. I sat for a long time during that whole ordeal last week without saying a word. Then some of the people that I thought of as freinds, knowing my involvement here, and with the parties involved, started saying a lot of things that were very unpleasant. I could no longer sit there and listen to "my freinds" bash my freinds. So I stuck up for them. So then I was told that I needed to watch my back here, because people here talk nice to your face, then bad behind your back. Are you kidding me? Have they ever been here? This place will tell you how it is (and for the most part be right on) faster than Bopeye can say BITE ME. This board has been better teacher to me in the 14 years I have been hunting, than all the people that have taught me in person COMBINED. You fellas are all my freinds here, and I thank you for your brutally honest freindship, and all that you have done for me the last year.

DD

HaMeR

I know I consider you all my Friends.  :biggrin:

I hope the feeling is mutual.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

studabaka

Al, I respect, admire, and like you too. I am not always right in what I think or what I do. I wouldn't want you to tell me I'm right when you think I'm not or defend my actions as being right when you think they aren't. I do not have the same background as you, but would guess that when you say loyalty is doesn't mean you should either.

I don't think I can single out one trait, but I was raised to value and try to engage in all I do with honor, integrity, respectfulness, and responsibility. I'll be the first to say I don't always do that well, but I try. I don't think that if another wrongs me or behaves badly that I should return it in kind. Sometimes I do, but I usually am not happy with myself when I do.

Later in life I found another 'gut check' that has served me well, I think. I look at my actions and the reason for my actions and I look to see if there is Love, patience, peace, kindness, gentleness, and self control.

I like a lot of people and I am friends with many of them. It seems to me that those I get to be closest friends with view this similarly. I really don't think I look down on anyone, but it is possible that I may come across that way. It's certainly not my intent. I'm not sure, when you use the term 'alliances' if it is another way to say 'friends' or if you mean something different by that. I really am not trying to make others think or feel differently about people and things. That truly is not my intent and who would I be to think my way of thinking is better or more right. What I am expressing my opinion on (and it is simply my opinion) is how best to respond to disagreements and being wronged. If this means I am disloyal to those I call friends, then I guess I am, but I don't think that is true.

I have friends on boards other than FnF, so I guess it is true that, in some respects from a board perspective, my loyalties are divided. I don't perceive that as a bad thing though and it's not on my short list of things I need to improve about myself (well actually it really isn't a 'short' list).

Your statement of 'I think it's time you do the same' is intriguing to me and I find it very insightful. We may not think the same way, but we both came to a similar conclusion. In fact, I have been talking with Jim for a while now about stepping out of the moderator role. It means a lot to me that he asked this old boy to help out when he needed it and I'm glad that I did. But having been in both a member role and a mod role I can honestly say that I enjoy just being a member more. I feel that when I am a member my opinions and views are just mine where as in a mod role they reflect, to some degree, to the board as a whole. I like to think that I am a welcome part of this group even if my views on stuff might be different. I have felt that as a mod I was forcing my views on others and that really isn't my desire or intent.

The reason(s) I am on the boards is best illustrated by things like my first turkey and the blow by blow advice and encouragement that made it a reality.... my first yote and the friendship that transcended my screw ups and missed shots....... the LBL where text got replaced by real faces and real camaraderie...... and ....

Maybe I am selfish, but I don't feel the need or desire to do battle to right the wrongs of the past that will never be righted. I am much more interested in the excitement and anticipation of the next hunt. Maybe that makes me a bad friend or not a friend at all. I like to think not.

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

THO Game Calls

Quotebut I don't feel the need or desire to do battle to right the wrongs of the past that will never be righted.

My mom used to tell me that Silence means Consent.

If through silence one gives the impression of condoning an action, they only encourage more of the same, and the argument therefore can be made that one who appears to condones past actions through silence is equally responsible for future actions because of that silence. 

It is only when enough people stand up and let their voices be heard that change takes place.

I am not a sheep, and I will not be let to the slaughter by those who condemn me for speaking the truth, or who try to silence me, no matter the cost.  What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. 

There are 20,000 members on PM.  It is the largest Predator Hunting board only because enough people have not had the courage to stand up and speak the truth, and therefore the truth has not been heard. 

Who has silenced your voice?  Why has it been silenced?  Are you not willing to stand up for what is RIGHT and be heard?  Or have you just given up?  Or, taken sides?

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will be ruled by those who diont, and men who lie down with dogs, shouldn't bitch when they get up with fleas.

Al

George Ackley

Popeye
I like to say that your ok in my book buddyboy ,,
always have ben and always will be......
stay just like you are .
hope to make it to LbL and pop a cold one with ya :eyebrownod:
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

studabaka

Yeah, Mom's are cool..... my mom used to tell me that too. She also used to say 'you are perceived by your words, but defined by your actions'.

I think our key point of difference is how we are applying it. It could be that one of us is wrong and the other is right or that we are both right in how we are applying it to our own lives  :shrug:

Is it not possible that we are 589 instead of 20,000 , in part, because of how we choose to speak the truth when we speak it? Speaking politely and respectfully is not silence and for me to speak to the injustices in question would be silly as I was not there and have little true knowledge. That said, my actions [my posts] are here and I have tried [maybe unsuccessfully] to have them polite and respectful. Though I guess technically I am counted in both the 589 and the 20,000  :shrug:

The only fleas I bitch about are those ones coming off those dang yotes and cats when I don't take the time to wash them before skinning  :puke: and I do have myself a pretty nice tiller while at the same time my gun safe ain't lookin too bad either  :biggrin: Kinda think I have a nice balance between the two  ;yes;

FinsnFur

Easy guys....we dont need to kill each other. :laf:

PM doesnt really have 20,000 members though. That, I know for a fact from my prior status over there. More then half of them have never logged in, and a very large portion of them have never been validated by using a legitimate e-mail address during sign up.
I intended to go through and clean the roster, by washing it of the profiles that didnt really exist while I was there, and I was instructed not to, that it looked good out front with such a large member base. Another petty front  :iroll: at best.

Add to the fact that they have been in existence since 2000...they should have a lot more active members then they do.
I'll stand by my insignificant 589 in peace and know that I have never begged, borrowed, stole, or charged a member to get or be here. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

THO Game Calls

I think it all boils down to what George Bush said.

Al

Greenside

Hey Jim, i was about to ask that before your post. I seem to remember Bob giving  them his membership list and that added about  3000 ? to the list. Then on a upgrade that list had to re register but the new numbers started where the old numbers left off  Essentially adding a couple thousand ghost members. Then the things your talking about and the same people registered under two different names(TT) and also the alias . I'm  guessing the real number is at least 30-40 % less than what's claimed. All you have to do is look at the views on the board and you know at best there's  about 1000 active members. Probably even less?

iahntr

:confused: :confused: I don't really consider myself slow,,, :biggrin:,,,
but it seems I'm missin  somethin here.  :shrug: Can somebody fill
me in a little, or does it not concern me.  :huh:
Scott

FinsnFur

What aint ya, I say what aint ya getting there iahntr? :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

not sure how to say this but I consider all those here friends.  all of you I have never met other then the pa guys that frequent here.  I have talked to a few of ya but other then a name on a board you are other guys that enjoy the same thing I do.  I post on many boards and belong to a good many also.  the ones it seems that I post the most at are the ones that I feel welcome at.  predator masters I used to post a bunch it seemed everyday I was on there cruisin the boards lookin and learning.  I learned and met a good many people from that board.  after jim and the others all left I was lookin at huntmasters more then predatormasters.  that was where I learned that the experts of coyote hunting in the east all came here I quickly joined and have felt right at home ever since.  which is odd.  on these boards I normally do not form a freindship till I meet the posters face to face mainly because I have been bit in the ass a few times on other boards.  I never felt that way before.  so far I still regularly post and read on this board, the PPHA forum, predator masters (mainly helping buddys I know over there and staying in touch), hunting pa, huntnpa, and the predator hunter.  of all those I do not post as much as I used to.  alot of times I stay silent because I am still trying to figure out the situation.  I have been bit in the ass over on PM twice in two years about a guy that I had some discrepincy's with because of being a admin at the PPHA board.  so I have seen both sides of the ball from being a mod and a admin to a member just posting about the day to day grind of life.  personally I think those that are mods or admins have a large ball to carry.  your actions reflect the board in a big way.  but being on the admin side of it most of the time "we" (admins mods ect) just like to state a opinion.  most of the time a mod or admin is someone that has a lot of experience in the field that he is a moderator of.  if he gives his opinion of something and the original poster or another poster gets mad then he seems to become the bad guy.  

on a last note I tend to lean towards bop's point of view that it aint no need to get worked up over words.  I myself never really worry about it until I meet a man face to face.  most of the time it is a misunderstanding.  there have only ever been two instances that I have ever got steamed about something.  and since we are doing quotes from family members "it is allways better to be thought a fool then to speak(type) and remove all doubt"

until next time takereasy ben smyser
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

iahntr

Well I figure there has to have been some provocation for Bops post, and not just out of the clear blue decide to talk about friends and enemies,
and people talkin about loyalty, and sittin on the fence, and so on. I figured I must have missed somethin that led up to this.  :shrug:
Scott