• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

how do you handle non-hunters/anti's ?

Started by Silencer, October 29, 2008, 08:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

I was filling up with gas early this morning before daylight, all decked out in my camo with my chest waders on and a lady pulls up on the other side of the pumps starts filling her car and asked "why all the camo ? "
I proceded to tell her "I'm on my way to hunt some ducks and geese."  She then says, "poor ducks, what they ever do to you ?"  I didnt have a quick comeback, I just kept pumping my gas.
She then says "why do you hunt ? "  I did have a comeback for that.  I told her thats how my grandparents raised me, it helps feed my family, the way prices on food are nowadays it really helps.

She then said... "huh.. that makes sense," and we went our separate ways. 

All the years I've hunted that is a first anyone ever asked me them type of questions.  I'm not very smart when put on the spot like that but the way she acted when I told her why I hunt, I think it connected.

Anyone else with similar experiences ?  How did you handle it ?

slagmaker

I gave a similar answer when I was aproched before. They left me alone after that so I suppose it was an answer they wernt ready for.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bigben

it is all about propaganda.  when ya run into some of those types they have it beat so deep into their skull that we kill because we want too.  there are many more aspects of it.  conservation and providing food would be the big ones for me.  I was asked on another sight about predator hunting (it was on a ATV site) there was one guy that was hell bent that I was the most evil nastiest human that ever lived.  some ya are just not gonna win with. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Silencer

Its funny to even be questioned living where I do.  Its a small town, everybody and their neighbor hunts or fishes of some type.  She must of moved in from out of the area or something.  I dont think she was anti but the common non-hunter who is fed with all the media bull crap. 

vvarmitr

Quote from: Silencer on October 29, 2008, 08:29:08 AM
She then says, "poor ducks, what they ever do to you ?"  I didnt have a quick comeback, I just kept pumping my gas.
My reply ...
Well MaDaMe (snicker),  I'm not out seeking revenge, I'm hunting. It's the natural way a carnivore obtains meat. 
Do you eat meat Mam?  If she says "yes."  Well Mam' today I've decided not to use the slaughter houses for my meat requirements.

bigben

I wonder vic you bring up something.  what would happen today if all the doom and gloom that was supposed to have happened allready where the economy would collapse and no jobs whole citys closing down.  how many do you think out there could provide for their families? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

Quote from: Silencer on October 29, 2008, 08:29:08 AM
She then says, "poor ducks, what they ever do to you ?" 

When I detect a "smart arse" question, I usually respond with "its none of your f***ing business".   And then see if they want to take it to the next level. 

Carolina Coyote

My response to someone who comes up with those kind of comments, I tell them how much I appriciate them and all the people like them for I don't have to worry about running into them while out hunting, that leaves more for us that enjoy the sport. They useally give me the  :shck: look and move on. Just think what if we had all them a--holes out there competing with us. Nerver let them get the best of you. cc

HaMeR

Depending on the mood I was in would dick tate my answers.  :laf: 

Seriously tho I would do me level best to present myself in a manner that every hunter would be proud of. Silencer did fine IMHO. I think she may have even gotten the point. let us know how she talks to you if you see her again.  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

I would tell her .........I love animals,.......they taste GREAT! :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

LORDDAL

My nephew and I had a Lady confront us in the wally world parking lot one season she was the standard anti-hunting nut job she started in on us about how we were killing Gods helpless little creatures. I knew I had her right there I stopped her politely and asked her "Miss are you a Christian?" She replied Yes she was and that it was wrong to kill Gods creatures I then asked her Just what did God put all these little creatures on earth for just to look at. She didn't really have an answer so I told her No God placed these creatures here just for this purpose to provide us with food and clothing as our ancestors used the hides and we to this day still do. And that If God hadn't wanted us to Hunt said little creatures he wouldn't have given us the knowledge of how to hunt and trap them. I gave her a few seconds to let it sink in and then added and besides if we weren't meant to eat them he wouldn't have given us all the wonderful recipes to cook em. then I politely told her I was a Born Again Christian and Southern Baptist and Knew that my hunting and fishing was not going against Gods wishes and to have a wonderful day and we left her standing in the lot looking like all the wind had been let out of her balloon of self importance and I'm better than you attitude.
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Tikaani

Had a woman give me grief about hunting once, I casually asked her if she supported abortion, she told me yes and she asked what that had to do with hunting.  I just looked at her and said "I find it quite hypocritical that you find it okay to kill a baby but your repulsed by me killing a moose."  The conversation ended there.

Hunt hard, die tired
John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

possumal

A close friend of mine since first grade had a daughterinlaw who was so anti hunting that it was ridiculous.  I asked her if she liked to watch the deer, elk, turkeys, ducks, geese, and all the rest in their natural habitat.  She said, "Oh yes, I enjoy it very much". I then told her she had me and people like to me to thank for that as it is our license fees, taxes on guns and ammo, etc. that pays the biggest percentage of the cost of maintaining all those species for all the people to enjoy, not just the hunters.  I thought my buddy was going to choke to death laughing at her silly ass after that. He later told me I was the only one to ever shut her up about that subject.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

Quote from: Semp on October 29, 2008, 12:10:53 PM

When I detect a "smart arse" question, I usually respond with "its none of your f***ing business".   And then see if they want to take it to the next level. 

ROFLMAO! :roflmao: :roflmao:
It's all about options :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

A girl saw my buck laying in the back of my truck the other day and she hollered "Oh my gosh....is it dead?" I said nope just takin it for a ride.......... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

I had some old bag in a lexus with a foreign accent giving me crap one time at a state boat ramp as we were getting ready to bust some ducks n she told me her taxes paid for the ramp as she was a resident....I told her my taxes and hunting/ammo/fishing licenses pay for this ramp WAY more then you do and told her to look it up and find out how much those fees impact conservation and wildlife...I told her if you dont have that knowledge then you merely appear ignorant when talking to someone like me, who does have that knowledge....she mumbled something and waddled off.....I was tempted to fire a round in the air and tell her to freeze and demand her green card.... :innocentwhistle: