• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Harvest

Started by pitw, November 02, 2008, 07:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Time to harvest the years crop with the family.  It all started with these little guy's

And through the summer they turned into these little guy's

Then my wife was doing this

They all ended up looking like this

They weighed up pretty good too

The rooster's weighed 11 and 12 lbs.   The turkeys averaged 23.5 lbs.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

So are these going in your freezer or to the market?   

Jerry

FinsnFur

Oh mercy and there isnt anything that compares to fresh chickys :yoyo:

I buy fresh from a local here that raises and slaughters his own. I can't believe I ever fell for the grocery store version.
The difference in taste is like night and day.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Half of them go in our freezer.  The other half go as trading material to other's around here that grow thing's that we don't.
Your absolutely right about the flavor of free range bird's and all other food not raised commercially.  Later this week I have 2 hog's to do and then 2 lamb's.  After the hog's are done I guess I have to go lay down a couple deer to make sausage out of and then my daughter asked if I would help get her an antlerless moose.  I can't believe how lucky I am to live with the good food.

alscalls

mmmmmm......those look good! You shold have looked for a coyote around......with all that chicken and turkey distress going on.... :laf:
We made some deer sausage today......man is it good!
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Bopeye

Oh man, that looks great!!!  :congrats:

When I was a kid we would raise 100 fryers and 30 laying hens. Mom, grandma, couple aunts, my dad, a few uncles, grandpa and a bunch of cousins would all get together for the killing and butchering. We do all the chickens in the day, usually kill a couple hogs of my uncles and every once in awhile a calf from one of the others. It was always so much fun.  :eyebrownod:

I'm glad you can still do it Pitw.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

Congrats, pitw.  Your living a way of life that is sinking in to the sunset.   It sure brings back memories for me.

I remember as a very small child my mom going out in to the back yard (we lived in the country) and her grabbing up a hen and whacking it with the hatchet on Saturday.  I'd chase that headless bird all over the yard. Sunday dinner was soooo good.  That was going on 60 years ago.  Funny how one remembers certain things that happened so long ago. 

Silencer

:congrats:  they look to be healthy birds, theres some good fixins right there.

iahntr

Scott

vvarmitr

Thanksgiving weekend was always the time my family would get together for butchering.   Fond memories!  :biggrin:

Also I remember we'd get your chicks through the mail.

pitw

We still get our chick's in the mail.  The post mistress call's when the truck show's up as the post office is part of their house and the peeping seem's to keep her awake.

Silencer

QuoteWe still get our chick's in the mail.  The post mistress call's when the truck show's up as the post office is part of their house and the peeping seem's to keep her awake.

:roflmao:  LOL... thats good.