• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Update on Laura

Started by CypressSlough, November 17, 2008, 07:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CypressSlough

Hey guys, I know it's been awhile since I've been on. The past few months have been a real test to my family. The first half of the year found Laura's chemo treatments to be hit or miss depending on her blood counts. Instead of every 2 weeks, she was able to get them every 4-5 weeks. The doctor found her problem to be her spleen. The normal function of the spleen was consuming her blood cells. Her liver was shunting the blood it should have filtered to the spleen, while her liver tried to repair itself. Blood cells have the same structure as the bugs the spleen breaks down to allow the body's immune system to identify them and produce antibodies to fight them off. So in July, she underwent another surgery to remove her spleen. The morning of her surgery her platelet count was 52,000, normal is 250,000- 450,000. Two days after her surgery, her platelet count was 316,000. Her blood counts have remained normal since the surgery, even with her receiving chemo every 2 weeks. The drawback to her splenectomy is the loss of her body's ability to identify and create antibodies for influenza, pneumonia, menengitis and a host of other nasty bugs. On August 27th, 3 days after her treatment, Laura started going down hill very quickly. She was staying at her mom's while I worked a couple of mandatory overtime days. When I got off work, her mom called and told me she thought she needed to go to the ER. When I got there, she literally looked like a corpse laying in the bed. This was not the woman I took over there 3 days before. I got her out of bed, and she made it to the front door and collapsed. She wasn't breathing, had no pulse and lost control of her bodily functions. I had her mom call 911 while I performed CPR on my wife. By the time the ambulance showed up, she had a pulse and was somewhat concious. She was admitted to the hospital, and after 2 days of tests, they determined she had a bacterial infection in her small intestine that had made it into her blood stream. The doctor told us she had a 50/50 chance of survival and most people that get this bacterial infection usually die within hours of becoming septic. There are only 2 antibiotics that will fight this particular type of bacteria. She received both drugs for 13 days straight before she was healthy enough to go home and continue oral antibiotics for another 2 weeks. Thank the Lord, he was looking out for her again. She finally got over the infection and has been fine ever since. Now on a good note, Laura has 5 chemo treatments left and 1 more surgery. Then she will be cancer free! There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks guys, Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

Holy smokes Brian!! I don't know what to say other than keep fighting!! I continue to wish your entire Family the very best in this ordeal & I believe Laura is going to come thru all this.  :yoyo: Best of Luck my Friend!!!  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

Wow I really don't know what to say,although it does look like things might be looking up for your family now

Brian don't be a stranger Bud stop by a little more often

Thoughts and prayers sent
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Hawks Feather

It is good to see you back and thanks for the update.  I, and I am sure many others, have been wondering how things have been going.  Sounds like Laura is on the right track now and my prayers will be that she continues.

Jerry

FinsnFur

We wondered what happen to ya .
Sounds like you've been pretty busy emotionally and physically.

I pray for the day you folks can put this all behind ya. Thanks for the update, and if you ever want to just get away or talk...you know where we are  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Brian,

I'll be praying for you and Laura. I hope the toughest part is behind you now and that you have a blessed hoilday season this year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

CypressSlough

Thanks guys. No matter how long you're gone, this place always feels like home.

Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

iahntr

HEY, Thanks for checkin in and giving us an update.
Ya know Annette and I have been with ya in spirit the whole time,
and will continue to be. Sounds like you guys have had a pretty rough road!
You guys take care and we'll talk to ya later.
Scott
Scott

Todd Rahm

Man, I have been thinking of you guys alot lately and now I know why.  :huh: You keep your head up and be strong buddy and we'll and we'll keep ya uys in our prayers and you be sure to let us know if ya need anything.

Todd

KySongDog

Wow! That was close!  :whew:   Glad it all worked out for you and Laura, Brian.   She's been through more than most people and proved she's a fighter.  Prayers sent that her recovery continues.

vvarmitr

Your update had my eyes sweating there for a moment.  :sad3:
Often wondered what was up w/ ya all & would pray.
Sure glad you consider us family. I was concerned you may have gotten offended.  :whew:
Keep up the good fight for in the end (Revelations) God said several times "to those who overcome I will give ...")  :wink:

Carolina Coyote

Thanks for the update Brian, We will keep praying for your family and we sure hope Laura continues to improve. cc

cb223

Thanks for the update. I'll keep sending prayers.
CHAD

misfire

Prayers still sent her way
#1700 God's Speed my brother

Bopeye

I really don't have the words, but I do know that a fighting spirit exists in both of you. I'll pray for continued strength.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jeb

Yall definitely sound like tough fighters , prayers being sent from Georgia my friend.
                        Jeb