• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

whare to start with loads

Started by rwire125, January 04, 2009, 03:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwire125

ok im a little confused as to whare to start i was going to load 80grain sierra sbt blitz with 36.5 grains of imr 4046 and start seating the bullets .005,.010,.015,.020 off the lands but then i thought should i start by varrying the amount of powder first 35.5,36,36.5,37 and just seat the bullets .015 of the lands just not sure whare to start, ive only reloaded for one other caliber my 06 and just started at .015 off the lands and varryed the powder and never had to play with the seat depths after that a little help here please  :wo:

coyotehunter_1

What caliber?
Personally if it's a non-custom (factory) chamber I would start off seating the bullet at the suggested (published) seating depth... Cartridge Overall Length. This gives you a standard to start with and one that will work in the rifle's mag. You can always play around with COL later if need be. Remember, anytime you change bullet depth you will also change chamber pressure.
You are on the right track.... :wink: Work up your powder charge first, starting well below max. You may find that the most accurate load for you rifle is midway between the starting point and max. 
I prefer accuracy over speed and I never load at or above max... too easy for something to go wrong.  :doh2: 
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

rwire125

sorrey i should have stated 243 win and thanks for your reply yotehunter,ive never started with the COL ive seated to the lands and backed out .015  ive never realy played with trying to get the most accuracy out of ths rifle but seeing that its a keeper ive got to spend the time, but i always question what powder to use in it?

coyotehunter_1

rwire125, if you don't mind me asking... what rife are you custom loading for?
I reload for three rifles (2 Savages and a NEF) chambered in 243. I've taken everything from varmints to whitetail with that caliber.
I've not tried IMR 4046 but have used IMR 3031 for several years now, recently I've been loading Varget, both have worked well for me.

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

rwire125

its a ruger m77 mk2  ive seen a few recipes with varget

coyotehunter_1

Fine rifle ya' got there!

You may already know about Hodgdon's website and their reloading data section....

www.hodgdon.com

rwire125

ive never tried any H powder but may if i dont get the results im looking for, the mk2 has always held an inch at 100 yards but ive just put a new luepold vx3 2.5x8 a dayton tistor trigger and ordered a Bell n Carlson stock so looking to dial it in a little closer. I did have it listed for sale but had no takers so im trying to turn it into what i wanted

coyotehunter_1

Printing 1"groups @ 100 yds. ain't a bad thing, I'm assuming that's with factory fodder too. Today, as factory issue rifles go, MOA has become widely expected as far as accuracy. Years ago, a rifle that shot like that was a definite keeper. I know you are striving to get the best accuracy possible by dialing in a custom load, along with the new goodies. Hopefully you will be able to achieve your goal.

Have fun, be safe and good luck :biggrin:

Chet   

rwire125

thanks for all the info yotehunter but my 1inch was using hand loads but wasnt really tyring to find what it liked as i am now, and i just loaded up a series of 20 rounds starting at 36.5 _ 38.5 going .5 grain increments 5 rounds each withe 80grain serras i dont know maybe i should drop down to the 70 grainers if the other dont go to my favor

Mallardsr

Not to hijack, can you ole timers tell me what happened to H450? I used it in the 80's for .243 . It was a compressed load and was very accurate with the 87 grain sierra BT. What replaced it?  :shrug: RP

rwire125

sorrey i cant help ya with that one mallardsr